Regional Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

The Wop

Hi, I will be a D1 at Detroit Mercy next year. I do not know if I want to practice in the Detroit area, or even the midwest, what bearing does this have on regional and national boards? I honestly do not know anything about the boards yet, so if someone could enlighten me or point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I will be a D1 at Detroit Mercy next year. I do not know if I want to practice in the Detroit area, or even the midwest, what bearing does this have on regional and national boards? I honestly do not know anything about the boards yet, so if someone could enlighten me or point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.

The NBDE (or national board) is required to graduate from dental school and has no bearing on where you will practice once you graduate. The regional board is the sticky situation. As I am typing this, there is probably a state out there that is dropping one board and/or picking up another. Here's a helpful list to get you started:

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/adanewsarticle.asp?articleid=2128

As you can see, Michigan only accepts NERB at this point. If you have any intention of staying in Michigan, you will have to take this exam. At many schools, you have the option of taking multiple regional exams (to cover more states), but it is costly (not to mention a pain in the arse). If common sense prevailed, all states would accept the PGY-1 option (licensure following a residency of 1 year) which could possibly make things a little easier for you. By the time you are ready to decide where to practice, this new option will hopefully be more cut and dried (and more widely accepted). As of right now, there are only a few states involved in this option (New York accepts any 1 year or more GPR/AEGD/specialty residency for licensure). I hope this helps...

Good luck to ya!!!

In addition to above post try the following link as well:

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/students/handbook/handbook_newgrad.pdf