Regional Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circleK

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has input as to the usefulness of doing a regional/ambulatory fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

circleK said:
Just curious if anyone has input as to the usefulness of doing a regional/ambulatory fellowship?

Use the SEARCH function for fellowship and you will find many threads about this.

Right now only donors/angels can use the search function (temporary server probs) so you may want to help him out with links to some of the threads. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...I can search and I'm not a donor.

Anyway, this is what Tenesma said when I asked the same question:

"no, i don't think you need a fellowship to do these in private practice... i feel perfectly comfortable incorporating them in my practice...

however regional anesthesia is a whole new beast in private practice
1) some surgeons aren't comfortable with the idea (based on their training)
2) some insurances don't reimburse the block if you did it for post-op pain and used a G.A. for the case...
3) it takes between 15-45 minutes for the block to kick in - so some big regional practices actually have an extra anesthesiologist to put in all the blocks while a CRNA babysits the sedation case...

the advantage of a fellowship is that it opens up doors for you if doing regional is really your thing... if you do a fellowship at HSS for example you can go anywhere and become director of ambulatory surgery and run the show the way you want to with tons of blocks...."

bullard said:
Hmm...I can search and I'm not a donor.

Anyway, this is what Tenesma said when I asked the same question:

"no, i don't think you need a fellowship to do these in private practice... i feel perfectly comfortable incorporating them in my practice...

however regional anesthesia is a whole new beast in private practice
1) some surgeons aren't comfortable with the idea (based on their training)
2) some insurances don't reimburse the block if you did it for post-op pain and used a G.A. for the case...
3) it takes between 15-45 minutes for the block to kick in - so some big regional practices actually have an extra anesthesiologist to put in all the blocks while a CRNA babysits the sedation case...

the advantage of a fellowship is that it opens up doors for you if doing regional is really your thing... if you do a fellowship at HSS for example you can go anywhere and become director of ambulatory surgery and run the show the way you want to with tons of blocks...."

I'll revive a cuppla regional threads.

I'm still undecided when it comes to regional.

some days I think its great....other days....pain in the a ss.

I think either way is fine.

DrMom said:
Right now only donors/angels can use the search function (temporary server probs) so you may want to help him out with links to some of the threads. :)

Everyone that uses this forum for info should cough up the twenty bucks....

geez, thats 2 martinis at Fire and Ice in New Orleans...

for such an asset,

COUGH IT UP!!!!!!

No need for fellowship, unless you really suck at it and think that you will be doing alot of regional.

$20 OK

Where are good places to do regional fellowships, by the way?

beezar said:
Where are good places to do regional fellowships, by the way?
The Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan is very good. It is a private orthopedics referral center. The anesthesiology department does most cases under a regional anesthetic. The OR is efficient, the patients are happy, and the surgeons expect regional. The people of the anesthesiology department are very academic and happy to teach. I hear that they are a great practice to join if you are looking to work in Manhattan, and I think they only take their own fellows.

It's hard to say if a regional fellowship is "worth it." Doing one probably won't make you more money, especially if it means delaying your entry into the current wide-open job market. And, many regional blocks are pretty straightforward--they can be learned while in practice. The fellowship is useful if you are really interested in regional anesthesia and want to be the best at it.