Regional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where is the best post-residencyregional training found?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I should have asked, where are the best locations. I dont think VMU is a viable option, given the loacation. Any place considered strong in the Southeast/East Coast?

Members don't see this ad :)
Idiopathic said:

Private practice.

I also agree about virgina mason.

Regional is fun and I enjoy doing it as much as possible. With that being said, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it as far as doing a fellowship. When I got out of training I had done every type of block at least ONCE,yeah once. I knew how to do all the blocks but it wasn't until private practice that I became very proficient at them. Alot of practices don't even do it b/c of time constraints. Some surgeons don't want them. So unless you already know where you will be practicing post residency, you may be wasting your time. Then again maybe not.

For a purely regional fellowship, Hospital for Special Surgery (part of Cornell's residency program, but with it's own fellowship) is the place to go in the North East.

Idiopathic said:

I hear that St. Luke's/Roosevelt in Manhattan is the place to go for regional as one of the most popular regional texts is written by their regionalist, Hadzic. They do the website www.nysorya.com . That comes from our regional guy, Dr. Roy Greengrass, who is another regional luminary. He also swears by Duke. As for Virginia Mason, he says they count epidurals/SABs as regional techniques and that inflates their numbers. I'm sure they still offer quality regional training, though.

Cheers,
PMMD

Noyac said:
Private practice.

I also agree about virgina mason.

Regional is fun and I enjoy doing it as much as possible. With that being said, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it as far as doing a fellowship. When I got out of training I had done every type of block at least ONCE,yeah once. I knew how to do all the blocks but it wasn't until private practice that I became very proficient at them. Alot of practices don't even do it b/c of time constraints. Some surgeons don't want them. So unless you already know where you will be practicing post residency, you may be wasting your time. Then again maybe not.

Very, very well said, Noy.

Private practice is where I refined my regional skills as well.

Maybe I should refine my question.

Im considering doing academic clinical research with regional anesthesia (I know I havent even matched yet, just something thats intriguing), analyzing outcomes, etc. Obviously to do a good study, you need good numbers and a quality program. Ive heard great things about the VM program, like everyone else, and I know that Hopkins sends their people to HSS for a month, and I know someone who is doing a fellowship at St. Luke's.

Just a thought I had. Didnt know if anyone had any experience with academic regional anesthesia programs.

Idiopathic said:
Maybe I should refine my question.

Im considering doing academic clinical research with regional anesthesia (I know I havent even matched yet, just something thats intriguing), analyzing outcomes, etc. Obviously to do a good study, you need good numbers and a quality program. Ive heard great things about the VM program, like everyone else, and I know that Hopkins sends their people to HSS for a month, and I know someone who is doing a fellowship at St. Luke's.

Just a thought I had. Didnt know if anyone had any experience with academic regional anesthesia programs.

Dude,

I guess I'm kinda an elder here. Kinda sad since my squat intimidates most 20 year old college athletes. :D

And my opinion is

groom your future to your future goals.

Wanna make a name for yourself?

Follow Michael Roizen's CV.

Wanna make an NFL low-draft-choice salary?

Follow the private practice threads.

jetproppilot said:
Dude,

I guess I'm kinda an elder here. Kinda sad since my squat intimidates most 20 year old college athletes. :D

And my opinion is

groom your future to your future goals.

Wanna make a name for yourself?

Follow Michael Roizen's CV.

Wanna make an NFL low-draft-choice salary?

Follow the private practice threads.

Im guessing theres some advice in there.

So, Ill google Michael Roizen. Thanks.

Touch base with us when you're 1 month shy of finishing your residency. Academic, macademic, pacademic. Girlfriend ya goin' to be scorin' that $300G private job if ya know what's good for ya. How's Zip know? ---The weejee board reveals all... Regards, --Zip

HSS all the way.... iowa is 2nd best in my book... virginia mason used to be good... now just boring