Regionalism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DontHaveACowMan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that it is very hard to match outside your home program's region.

What if you're from the south (born, raised, high school, college, spouse from south as well), however, for some reason went to med school in the midwest, but want to go back south for residency?

Will doing aways let programs know you're serious about their program? Phone calls or letters?

Or is my southern background enough to get me back below the M-D line?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that it is very hard to match outside your home program's region.

What if you're from the south (born, raised, high school, college, spouse from south as well), however, for some reason went to med school in the midwest, but want to go back south for residency?

Will doing aways let programs know you're serious about their program? Phone calls or letters?

Or is my southern background enough to get me back below the M-D line?

this year's match showed that regionalism is very important in determining where you go. I was able to match at a program that is not in the same region as my med school, but I let them know I had a lot of family near the program. I am the only person in my incoming class who was not from instate or a border state. Chances are I would not have ended up there were it not for having family nearby.

here is why regionalism is important. PD's feel residents are more likely to be happy, hard working contributors if they have a support structure in place (close family or many friends). they fear residents without any such support network are more likely to either transfer out or be malignant (not saying all are, just more likely to be that way). make the program feel that you have family nearby or a good support structure and they are more likely to consider you even if you came from a med school outside the region. the closer the family is in relation to you the better. "my 2nd cousin lives 2 hours away" may not even get you an interview. having your grandmother show you around the hospital before the interview (because that is where her doctors all practice) will make a MUUUUCH stronger statement.

also, if you are going back to the the same state where you graduated HS and/or college and they probably won't care that you came from an out of state med school.

Agree with above. Even so, its easiest for an 'outsider' to get into the South and Midwest (unless its Chicago) than the west coast or east coast.

If the rest of your application is up to snuff, I wouldn't worry too much about matching in the South.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Duke, Emory, Vandy, and Wake (for Rads at least) are super easy to match into... better to aim high for somewhere competitive like Harlem hospital or Hackensack regional

I agree. Duke, Emory, Vandy, and Wake (for Rads at least) are super easy to match into... better to aim high for somewhere competitive like Harlem hospital or Hackensack regional

Of course Hans was talking in a general sense.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah, I know...

It's just been one of those super sarcastic days

No, But MGH, UCSF, Stanford, Cornell, NYU ARE tougher to match into than any of those you have mentioned.

Best,
Hans

Regionalism isn't as important as you might think. I go to a non-top 10-but-still-well-regarded medical school in the South (after having lived nearly all of my life in the South, as well as having gone to undergrad in the South), and I will be doing Rads in Chicago. Of course, when I interviewed at programs in Chicago, I was sure to tell them about how I have a lot of extended family in the area, and how my now-fiance is working in Chicago for the forseeable future. If you let them know you have ties to the area and a built-in support system there, you shouldn't have a problem at all. I remember everyone telling me before the interviewing process started that I would find it difficult to get out of the South, but I didn't find that to be true at all (obviously).