Employment & Professional Networking Registered OT’s.. how long did it take you to get your first job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babybluentexas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious.. what setting was your first OT job in, being registered?

How long did it take you to find a job?

What were some of the barriers you faced?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The biggest obstacle for me was getting my license. I passed the NBCOT exam by early August but didn't get my license until mid October. Before getting licensed, I applied to some hospital jobs thinking my passage of NBCOT would be enough to get an interview, but many online applications have a required box for inputting your license number, which I think disqualified me right away. I ended up applying for jobs in SNFs and the demand was pretty high so I was able to get an offer within a week of applying without my license. I just had to play the waiting game for my license to post so I could actually start. The licensing process varies by state, and at least in Illinois it has gotten much faster in recent years. California is notorious for it's long licensing process but their are ways to work with a temporary license. Some of my lucky classmates were offered jobs by their fieldwork sites and just needed a temporary license with some limitations, like needing a registered OT to co sign all their documentation.

Reactions: 3 users
Graduated in the month of December (of the year I graduated), passed the board that February, and had my license processed by the end of that same month, because I called and ask them nicely, since I had a job opportunity lined up. I started working at the end of that March. No barriers, I got lucky.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ohh I didn’t even think about applying and dealing with the license part. That’s a good thing to think about in the future.

Ohh I didn’t even think about applying and dealing with the license part. That’s a good thing to think about in the future.
Just make sure you know what the license requirements are for your state. Some states have temporary licenses, some do not. Some states don't have temporary ones but will allow for provisional employment (that would be terminated if you did not pass the boards), however not all employers may honor this. I'm in Virginia, where some places will hire you and let you start working before you have passed your boards, but my employer (hospital system) does not. I could not officially start working until they had my license number.

Some classmates had job offers from their level 2. Primarily peds.

Mostly snf 4 weeks after license.

Reactions: 1 users
Just make sure you know what the license requirements are for your state. Some states have temporary licenses, some do not. Some states don't have temporary ones but will allow for provisional employment (that would be terminated if you did not pass the boards), however not all employers may honor this. I'm in Virginia, where some places will hire you and let you start working before you have passed your boards, but my employer (hospital system) does not. I could not officially start working until they had my license number.
Making that list today! :) thanks for all the suggestions and replies

Can any current OTs, if they are comfortable in doing so, share their salary "range" at the first place they worked at after passing the boards vs what they are making now and how many years of experience they have. It might be helpful if you can also mention what state/big city vs small city you work in?

I only ask because I am terrified of the big loans I am going to take out. I know everyone does it and everyone finds a way to pay them off, but I literally go to bed sometimes thinking maybe these 100k+ loans are too much for me to handle...

Reactions: 6 users
OT Salary is a place where clinicians share their actual status which can be useful gauging specific locations or settings.

OTpotential also has a good page comparing different sources.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Curious.. what setting was your first OT job in, being registered?

How long did it take you to find a job?

What were some of the barriers you faced?
My first job was/is a SNF. I took my boards Sept 2018, dealt with the whole getting my license application and got my license mid-October. I had interviews early October and they were all aware. I began my first job a week after getting my license. I began a PRN gig shortly after, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
It took me a while to pass my boards due to some obstacles, but it took me around 3 months to find a job. Graduated in December, passed boards in May, found a job in July. I broadened my search a bit and moved to another location 1.5 hours away from where I originally wanted to work, but it worked out well and I love my job. Most importantly, try not to compare yourself to your classmates and friends in this process. Everyone has a different path and it might take you a little longer than others to succeed, and that is perfectly okay. It was an easy process to get my VA license. As far as loans, I started out with around $45k ( went to a private school for my masters) and didn't have any loans from undergrad fortunately. This is also something most people go through and I wouldn't worry about it. I am making money now that I am able to pay $1,000+ on my loans and still have money for rent, bills, fun etc. It is worth it. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Graduated in early December 2019, got a job before Christmas. Full time at 50/hr in early intervention

Very helpful - Thank you, all. Are there any OTs in AZ that could share their experiences?

I was wondering how long and what hourly rates are being given to you guys.

I spoke to a newly licensed OT. 2 months to get into SNF. 35 hr.

The market seems pretty soft.

I was wondering how long and what hourly rates are being given to you guys.

I spoke to a newly licensed OT. 2 months to get into SNF. 35 hr.

The market seems pretty soft.
I think full time in- house may be more difficult. If one is flexible, traveling and consultative staffing are pretty abundant. In SF Bay Area 2017, I started with 45 per hr for SNF (2 months post licensed) and 40 per hr for school-based (half year post licensed due to school year) though cost of living is hefty.

What are you getting now @sngot ? How many years of experience do you have?

What are you getting now @sngot ? How many years of experience do you have?
I work with the same nonpublic company who contracts into school district. I make 51/hour which is more than government employee but annual contract is renew every year so "stability" is dependent on individual worksite.

I work with the same nonpublic company who contracts into school district. I make 51/hour which is more than government employee but annual contract is renew every year so "stability" is dependent on individual worksite.
Ah lucky I'm no where near $51.

Ah lucky I'm no where near $51.

I am very fortunate. I happen to work in school district that is honoring contracts as we work remotely trying to provide service via telehealth but many contracted occupational therapist are experiencing unemployment with school closure. This is one example of pro and cons of hourly vs salary.

Are you an employee of the company or an independent contractor?

Are you an employee of the company or an independent contractor?
I am an employee of the nonpublic agency which had a contract with the district. The middle of the spectrum between in house employee and independent contractor.

Can any current OTs, if they are comfortable in doing so, share their salary "range" at the first place they worked at after passing the boards vs what they are making now and how many years of experience they have. It might be helpful if you can also mention what state/big city vs small city you work in?

I only ask because I am terrified of the big loans I am going to take out. I know everyone does it and everyone finds a way to pay them off, but I literally go to bed sometimes thinking maybe these 100k+ loans are too much for me to handle...

You summed up my feelings exactly... I got into a program for Fall 2020, but the thought of 100k is keeping me up at night and making me question my path. I would love if you messaged me so we could swap thoughts!

I don't know how reliable it is but the data is very comprehensive in providing salary/hrly pay, city, work setting, yrs of experience.... ect.