....regrets to inform .....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
22 apps
11 II
9 interviews attended
8 acceptances
1 waitlist

I feel that I am one of those applicants who "rode the magic carpet and was great, but not stellar." My MCAT was low 30s and my sGPA was >3.9, but I only have limited research experience. I do have a lot of clinical experiences. I only applied MD. I spent a lot of time making sure my secondaries fit the rest of my application, but to be honest, my success was due to very strategic applying at schools where I had a chance and A LOT OF LUCK. I also have a few quirks that make me unique. In hindsight, I could have reached more, but I am very very happy where I am! I absolutely poured over the mission statements of each school, and I got accepted to the schools I fit at. For example, I come from a Jesuit UG, and I received admission offers from 3/3 Jesuits I applied to. I constantly used the MSAR and only applied to OOS where I had ties or really felt I stood a chance. Future applicants, don't apply to schools just based off your gpa and mcat. Many schools (like the Jesuits) have a special kind of applicant they want. Research them and ask yourself if you would fit there. Remember that every application is EXPENSIVE, so if you apply somewhere where you are a terrible fit for, all you will be doing is wasting money.

Congrats!!!
Which one will you be attending?

Members don't see this ad.

^How much money did you waste on everythying? Including, II's and interviews?

More than I care to admit lol. However I wouldn't consider it a waste since gaining admission somewhere was my goal. If I didnt have a solid job and access to the money I probably would have been more frugal and strategic.

More than I care to admit lol. However I wouldn't consider it a waste since gaining admission somewhere was my goal. If I didnt have a solid job and access to the money I probably would have been more frugal and strategic.

This is exactly the point. It is easy to look back retrospectively and think "wow I could've saved a lot of money if I would've just applied to those schools that I got accepted to..." But there is no way to predict beforehand which schools will be interested in your application, so you have to spend the money to increase your odds that you'll get in somewhere. In the end, it's worth the investment.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is depressing the crap out of me. I know there are many other factors, but it's kind of scary to see people with similar stats to mine only getting a few interviews, II's etc.

This thread is depressing the crap out of me. I know there are many other factors, but it's kind of scary to see people with similar stats to mine only getting a few interviews, II's etc.

Better to be pleasantly surprised than shocked in the future imo. At the last minute I added 3 schools to my list and was interviewed at all 3, waitlisted at 2 and accepted at one. You just never know. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have applied to georgetown/boston since they get a gajillion applications and honestly don't seem particularly remarkable to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Better to be pleasantly surprised than shocked in the future imo. At the last minute I added 3 schools to my list and was interviewed at all 3, waitlisted at 2 and accepted at one. You just never know. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have applied to georgetown/boston since they get a gajillion applications and honestly don't seem particularly remarkable to me.

This is true. I suppose if I go into it expecting the worst, as Goro said, I'm more likely to be elated with anything that does go well! I tend to take that approach with most things anyway.

well i wasnt looking for an exact amount of expenditure.... I was just looking for the range of the money that people use for their apps...

26 MD apps
7 II
15 rejections (Expecting 4 more before May).

29 mcat, 3.3 uGPA, 3.9 smp GPA

Average msar MCAT score/range I applied to: 31.28/27-36

Average msar mcat score/range I got an II from: 31.33/30-32

Applied broadly. Only 4 reach schools. No IS IIs. Reapp to 10 schools - receieved 3 IIs from those. This cycle I applied more based on statistics/likihood of getting in and schools that vocalize that they do "holistic reviews."

Spent $3000 just on apps/secondaries. No FAP. Used left over SMP loan to pay for it. Lived off of ramen & Kraft Mac N Cheese for a while.

well i wasnt looking for an exact amount of expenditure.... I was just looking for the range of the money that people use for their apps...

I'd say $30 per school for primary. $85 per school for secondary, on average. The average interview with flight, car rental and hotel; maybe $700. Most people will debate what I posted for interview costs, and it can definitely be done cheaper. I often found booking flights under 1 month out the costs were alot higher, one interview I booked 2 months in advance and the flight was half the cheapest flight I got all season.

edit: also I needed to hurry to and from for my job, so if your travel is more flexible you can save alot more. For me flying home at midnight wasnt an option when I needed to be in the office at 7am.

Reactions: 1 users
I was lucky that all my II were in state--I only had to get one hotel room for the whole cycle, the rest of the time I crashed with family and friends, or went day of....only other costs were food and bus tickets

I applied to 18, II to 13, went to 8, accepted to 7, haven't heard from 1. I don't think I would go to the last as it isn't the best fit for me. Lizzy M ~77, good extracurriculars, lots of hands on experience, minimal research. I seemed to not get II from my "safety schools," which was a bit frightening at first bet ended up for the best.

I applied to 18, II to 13, went to 8, accepted to 7, haven't heard from 1. I don't think I would go to the last as it isn't the best fit for me. Lizzy M ~77, good extracurriculars, lots of hands on experience, minimal research. I seemed to not get II from my "safety schools," which was a bit frightening at first bet ended up for the best.
We had similar cycles. I was very nervous about how top-heavy my list was, and while some of my targets were silent, I was accepted by all of my reach schools.

Does anybody know how to steer this magic carpet?

Members don't see this ad :)
We had similar cycles. I was very nervous about how top-heavy my list was, and while some of my targets were silent, I was accepted by all of my reach schools.

Could you elaborate on your ECs? Your MDApps is devoid of any personal information.

Could you elaborate on your ECs? Your MDApps is devoid of any personal information.
I am working on putting something up there while maintaining anonymity. The gist is that I took several years off after college, research and clinical experience in that time.

You may possibly be the only applicant qualified enough to list Cornell, Columbia, and NYU as targets.

You may possibly be the only applicant qualified enough to list Cornell, Columbia, and NYU as targets.
Ha ha, not me, I was more referring to Emory and Dartmouth, which are not easy either but where I thought I'd have a reasonable chance of ending up. Both would have been great fits I think.

I'd say $30 per school for primary. $85 per school for secondary, on average. The average interview with flight, car rental and hotel; maybe $700. Most people will debate what I posted for interview costs, and it can definitely be done cheaper. I often found booking flights under 1 month out the costs were alot higher, one interview I booked 2 months in advance and the flight was half the cheapest flight I got all season.

edit: also I needed to hurry to and from for my job, so if your travel is more flexible you can save alot more. For me flying home at midnight wasnt an option when I needed to be in the office at 7am.
It's $160 for the first school, then $36 each school after that. So if you apply to 25 schools, that's $1,024 on primaries. Then my average secondary was $90 (89.3), so tack on $2,250 for a total of $3,274 before interviews. I spent about $600-700 per interview, as I was flying across the country for almost all of them. My advice is to have $5,000 ready to part with... just a small drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of it all

I think @breakintheroof alone will cause a significant ripple effect/waitlist movement. Accepted to 8 top schools! Crazy. I'm really curious what it will come down to. He's ruining these poor school's yield rates all by himself :p.

I think @breakintheroof alone will cause a significant ripple effect/waitlist movement. Accepted to 8 top schools! Crazy. I'm really curious what it will come down to. He's ruining these poor school's yield rates all by himself :p.
I'm trying to make decisions quickly from this strange position. Following the lead of noble applicants (with much better MDApps) like @onceawolverine and @hellanutella.

Lol I'm so numb to rejections after my last cycle, but this cycle was a lot better!

30 schools (20 MD, 10 DO)

11 II (7 MD, 4 DO)

4 MD acceptances, 3WL and 2 DO acceptances (withdraw from other two interviews)

All I can say is praise baby Jesus for giving me the resilience, funds, and support system to endure another cycle. Probably the most draining, depressing, humbling process to go through, let alone doing it twice! Congrats to everyone who got accepted! And if you didn't get anything this cycle, don't give up! Dust yourself off and try again! *insert Aaliyah song* :)

Reactions: 10 users
I'm trying to make decisions quickly from this strange position. Following the lead of noble applicants (with much better MDApps) like @onceawolverine and @hellanutella.
Do you mean app quality-wise or results wise? Since as amazing as their cycles were, ain't nothin on you. Also: that withdraw from Stanford lol. I don't even O_O. Do you not like the warmth of the sun? Does it numb your calculating mind? ARE YOU EVEN HUMAN?!

Okay, that's a bit of a stretch..but two top 5s with weather in the 70s and you turned one down. If I were in your position I honestly don't even know what I'd do. Probably scream.

This thread is really sad but I looked back to see what the total damage was....

All MD: 48 primaries, 45 secondaries, 8 IIs which turned into 3 acceptances, 3 waitlists, and 2 rejections.

Looking back, I could have applied smarter, but I had a weird application with bad grades, a good MCAT, and interesting story. Glad to be where I'm at!

This reminds me that there was an article recently about a girl who wrote a letter to Duke rejecting her rejection for undergrad. It was pretty funny...

Last edited:
^How much money did you waste on everythying? Including, II's and interviews?

For me it was around 2.5k for the first cycle (I only applied to 15 schools, but turned my FL interview into a mini vacation), 2.5-3k for second cycle, and 3kish for third cycle. So around 8k total, which is part of why I didn't attend my last 2 interviews after my acceptance. I wasn't about to drop another 1-1.5k on schools I didn't think I wanted to be at. Still, 8k spent was well worth it to be a physician. Hell, 25k to get in would be worth it in the long run.

Last cycle: 7 MD schools and applied late, 2 II and waitlisted at both (eventual rejection), rejected at other 5

This cycle: 2 MD schools and applied on time, 1 II and acceptance to first choice (withdrew from other soon after)

I don't recommend following in my footsteps, however; obviously did not follow the general trend, but I knew from communicating with the admissions office at my first choice they wanted to accept me. Good thing they weren't kidding.

22 applications, 3 II (2 waitlist, one upcoming this week), rejected everywhere else except 1 or 2 silent

3.7, 10/10/13 (33) MCAT. ORM.

17 Secondaries, 0 II, all outright rejections. I got one pre-secondary rejection as well.

Applying again this cycle, seems really daunting to go through it again. Hoping for a better result this time. :(

3.7, 10/10/13 (33) MCAT. ORM.

17 Secondaries, 0 II, all outright rejections. I got one pre-secondary rejection as well.

Applying again this cycle, seems really daunting to go through it again. Hoping for a better result this time. :(

Your stats seem really good. It sounds like there might be something else going on. I hope you have a really good application reader/editor. Good luck the second time around. I know its really hard.

Your stats seem really good. It sounds like there might be something else going on. I hope you have a really good application reader/editor. Good luck the second time around. I know its really hard.

Thank you! There were definitely a few parts of the actual AMCAS primary I could improve on.

This thread is really sad but I looked back to see what the total damage was....

All MD: 48 primaries, 45 secondaries, 8 IIs which turned into 3 acceptances, 3 waitlists, and 2 rejections.

Looking back, I could have applied smarter, but I had a weird application with bad grades, a good MCAT, and interesting story. Glad to be where I'm at!

This reminds me that there was an article recently about a girl who wrote a letter to Duke rejecting her rejection for undergrad. It was pretty funny...

Damn son, you applied to more schools than me by two but we filled out the same number of secondaries haha.

I applied to 18 MD schools with a 27 MCAT and 3.96 sgpa. 15 outright rejections, two probable silent rejections, and ONE ACCEPTANCE. All it takes is one.

Reactions: 7 users
yay, another thread so I can reflect on this cycle and just be depressed LOL

MD: 35 apps, 34 secondaries, 26 Rejections, 8 II, 7 waitlists!!!!! (and 1 post II rejection)

DO: 9 apps, 7 Secondaries filled, 5 II, Attended 3 II, 3 eventual acceptances

I'm grateful for my DO acceptances, but I can't even describe how discouraging it is to be waitlisted at SEVEN MD programs with no acceptances. This whole process has cost me thousands and thousands of dollars, and is truly more of an emotional roller coaster than I ever expected. I was on such a high after getting all these II and feeling like I crushed a bunch of them, but the results haven't been what I hoped for. at this point I just want it to end so I can know where I'll be next year :( BOOOOOO

NOTE: I actually have lost track of all this info in my mind and haven't checked my spreadsheet, but I think these numbers are accurate for the most part haha :thumbup:

Reactions: 4 users
Damn, rejected from 82% of my list. I applied to MD schools only and I was a non-trad applicant (gap year).

20u5nd3.png

Medical school applications are strange in general. A bit unpredictable. But it's kind of reassuring to read your stories and know I'm not the only one sharing this sentiment. Maybe I should have thought more about my list.

4.0/36
Strong ECs, charity work for 4 years, volunteering, shadowing, 4 years research, studying science and humanities

MD: 35 primaries, 34 secondaries, 9 II, 7 waitlists! 1 acceptance

Applied to Ivys +top 30 + safety schools. Rejected from all safeties almost immediately.

Wondering how this all actually works.

So you guys who applied to like 20+ and 40+ schools, were your interviews all from the same type of place? Like, were they all your safety or least difficult schools to get into?

Or did you just randomly get into one of your top choices? I'm thinking of applying to ten, like the literally ten best chances (lowest MCAT, etc.) and seeing what happens to save money. Wonder where your acceptances/interviews were in in terms of your long list.

Don't apply "shotgun" or you'll waste a whole lot of time and money, resulting in a whole lot of unnecessary rejections.

While it's not perfect, Wedgedog's applicant scoring quiz is worth doing, and his suggestions for 'application spread' seem pretty reasonable. Also re-read the solid post from @singergirl18 about how well her well-targeted applications played out. 11 ii's for 22 applications is a testament to spending the time up front to research your potential schools for 'fit'.

22 apps
11 II
9 interviews attended
8 acceptances
1 waitlist

I feel that I am one of those applicants who "rode the magic carpet and was great, but not stellar." My MCAT was low 30s and my sGPA was >3.9, but I only have limited research experience. I do have a lot of clinical experiences. I only applied MD. I spent a lot of time making sure my secondaries fit the rest of my application, but to be honest, my success was due to very strategic applying at schools where I had a chance and A LOT OF LUCK. I also have a few quirks that make me unique. In hindsight, I could have reached more, but I am very very happy where I am! I absolutely poured over the mission statements of each school, and I got accepted to the schools I fit at. For example, I come from a Jesuit UG, and I received admission offers from 3/3 Jesuits I applied to. I constantly used the MSAR and only applied to OOS where I had ties or really felt I stood a chance. Future applicants, don't apply to schools just based off your gpa and mcat. Many schools (like the Jesuits) have a special kind of applicant they want. Research them and ask yourself if you would fit there. Remember that every application is EXPENSIVE, so if you apply somewhere where you are a terrible fit for, all you will be doing is wasting money.

17 MD Primaries
12 MD Completed Apps
4 II (2 Acceptances + 2 Waitlist)
2 DO Apps (1 acceptance + 1 II which I withdrew)

Although I'm happy with my acceptances, I feel as if I didn't apply broadly enough. Oh well.

yay, another thread so I can reflect on this cycle and just be depressed LOL

MD: 35 apps, 34 secondaries, 26 Rejections, 8 II, 7 waitlists!!!!! (and 1 post II rejection)

DO: 9 apps, 7 Secondaries filled, 5 II, Attended 3 II, 3 eventual acceptances

I'm grateful for my DO acceptances, but I can't even describe how discouraging it is to be waitlisted at SEVEN MD programs with no acceptances. This whole process has cost me thousands and thousands of dollars, and is truly more of an emotional roller coaster than I ever expected. I was on such a high after getting all these II and feeling like I crushed a bunch of them, but the results haven't been what I hoped for. at this point I just want it to end so I can know where I'll be next year :( BOOOOOO

NOTE: I actually have lost track of all this info in my mind and haven't checked my spreadsheet, but I think these numbers are accurate for the most part haha :thumbup:

I'm in a similar-ish boat in terms of MD acceptances. I applied to 13 MD NYS schools + harvard + yale + hopkins, and 2 DO NY schools.
MD: 16 apps, 11 rejections, 5 II, 4 WL and 1 HFS as of now which will prob be a WL at this point, so all WL basically like you!!! So I totally get you.
DO: 2 apps, 1 WL and 1 accept.

I'm also grateful for my DO acceptance and am basically preparing to attend at this point but I must say although it is my top DO choice, it is not my top med school choice. It really has been an emotional roller coaster "omg every school WLed me but my interview was really smooth so I probably wasn't passionate enough in my interviews obviously so I must not be passionate at all so I must not be cut out to do this and why did I decide to apply and am I smart enough and I shouldn't pursue this and I will definitely fail at this as a career choice and blah blah blahhhh." Maybe it is just me, but this waiting has definitely put these thoughts in my head when deep down inside I know they are completely false! When I got my DO acceptance back in November i was so psyched and proud and now because of these WLs I'm doubting myself lol..time spent in WL limbo really does things to you...

I'm in a similar-ish boat in terms of MD acceptances. I applied to 13 MD NYS schools + harvard + yale + hopkins, and 2 DO NY schools.
MD: 16 apps, 11 rejections, 5 II, 4 WL and 1 HFS as of now which will prob be a WL at this point, so all WL basically like you!!! So I totally get you.
DO: 2 apps, 1 WL and 1 accept.

I'm also grateful for my DO acceptance and am basically preparing to attend at this point but I must say although it is my top DO choice, it is not my top med school choice. It really has been an emotional roller coaster "omg every school WLed me but my interview was really smooth so I probably wasn't passionate enough in my interviews obviously so I must not be passionate at all so I must not be cut out to do this and why did I decide to apply and am I smart enough and I shouldn't pursue this and I will definitely fail at this as a career choice and blah blah blahhhh." Maybe it is just me, but this waiting has definitely put these thoughts in my head when deep down inside I know they are completely false! When I got my DO acceptance back in November i was so psyched and proud and now because of these WLs I'm doubting myself lol..time spent in WL limbo really does things to you...

I've been there so I hear you. luckily I've since gotten into an MD school I loved, and I'm hoping you soon get one also!

Applied to two MD schools, got two acceptances. 37 MCAT, 3.5 cGPA from top-25 university.

Ended up going to my state school (U of Washington), which was the best choice of my life. As a soon to be MS-IV who is looking at the loan interest accumulate already, I highly suggest going wherever is cheapest. If you're a good applicant, just focus on the schools you want to go to and make sure you do everything possible to fit their 'type.'

Good luck to everyone ~~ enjoy the journey.

applied to 32 schools. 18 interview invites, 11 interviews attended, 4 acceptances, 7 waitlists. Yes, in hindsight it seems like I applied to too many schools but I don't regret my decision because I had no idea where I stood before the fact. I applied in a previous year and had 0 interviews and people were telling me to shoot for lower ranked schools and to throw in a couple reaches, which is what I did.

Applied 24 schools. 1 II and 1 acceptance. The rest is history.

Applied to 32 + 2 schools (added 2 at a later date, neither of them panned out). 4 IIs that became 2 waitlists with one of the waitlists turning into an acceptance :D. As far as range was concerned, all 4 IIs were from what I originally considered in my "realistic" range (LizzyM ~76). Got rejected from all of the lower-range/safety schools I applied to. Having spoken to a couple others going through the cycle, I don't think there is such a thing as "safety school" anymore tbh.

This is exactly the point. It is easy to look back retrospectively and think "wow I could've saved a lot of money if I would've just applied to those schools that I got accepted to..." But there is no way to predict beforehand which schools will be interested in your application, so you have to spend the money to increase your odds that you'll get in somewhere. In the end, it's worth the investment.
Beyond that, I've got to figure that the extra few hundred spent for a few reaches known for good financial aid or low tuition is a worthwhile gamble. Invest a few hundred, potentially save thousands. :shrug:
My primary goal is to get in. I can probably do that with <20 schools if I can do it at all.
However, I'd also like to maximize one of the following:

Financial aid (or low tuition)
Fit

Hitting one or more of those bonuses is, to me, worth the extra time/money spent on more applications than I 'need'.