Regular Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tharkuhn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts/opinions on how ENT changing to regular match will effect the competitiveness etc..?

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to know for sure, but the opinion I've heard most often from program directors is that the regular match will likely increase competition for spots for 2 reasons--1: you'll pick up some people who "discover" ENT late in 3rd year and who still have time to apply, and 2: co-applying to general surgery is a lot more difficult, and the ENT application group will therefore be more highly self-selected. In theory, I guess you could still co-apply in general surgery, but I think the interviews would start to conflict.

I would totally agree with chirurgino. I kept hearing from PD and Chairs that this year's class was the most competitive. I thought that they were just blowing smoke up my rear end but for the reasons chirurgino has stated, I think it has gotten slightly more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
More competitive also because there will be a little more time for SubI's and research. A few extra months can certainly sweeten a CV, especially for a med student who only decided on ENT within the last year or two.

are there still any oto positions filled through the SF match?
I ask coz even few years ago u'll see that like 30-40 were filled through the NRMP