• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

tharkuhn

15+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2004
Status (Visible)
Any thoughts/opinions on how ENT changing to regular match will effect the competitiveness etc..?

chirurgino

A pound of flesh
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
The dark side of the moon
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It's hard to know for sure, but the opinion I've heard most often from program directors is that the regular match will likely increase competition for spots for 2 reasons--1: you'll pick up some people who "discover" ENT late in 3rd year and who still have time to apply, and 2: co-applying to general surgery is a lot more difficult, and the ENT application group will therefore be more highly self-selected. In theory, I guess you could still co-apply in general surgery, but I think the interviews would start to conflict.

RS6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
I would totally agree with chirurgino. I kept hearing from PD and Chairs that this year's class was the most competitive. I thought that they were just blowing smoke up my rear end but for the reasons chirurgino has stated, I think it has gotten slightly more competitive.

About the Ads

resxn

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
More competitive also because there will be a little more time for SubI's and research. A few extra months can certainly sweeten a CV, especially for a med student who only decided on ENT within the last year or two.

alekhine

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
are there still any oto positions filled through the SF match?
I ask coz even few years ago u'll see that like 30-40 were filled through the NRMP

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.