SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Regular Match

Discussion in 'Otolaryngology' started by tharkuhn, Mar 5, 2007.

1. tharkuhn

tharkuhn New Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Any thoughts/opinions on how ENT changing to regular match will effect the competitiveness etc..?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chirurgino

chirurgino A pound of flesh 2+ Year Member

Oct 21, 2006
    The dark side of the moon
    It's hard to know for sure, but the opinion I've heard most often from program directors is that the regular match will likely increase competition for spots for 2 reasons--1: you'll pick up some people who "discover" ENT late in 3rd year and who still have time to apply, and 2: co-applying to general surgery is a lot more difficult, and the ENT application group will therefore be more highly self-selected. In theory, I guess you could still co-apply in general surgery, but I think the interviews would start to conflict.

4. RS6

RS6 Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 15, 2005
    I would totally agree with chirurgino. I kept hearing from PD and Chairs that this year's class was the most competitive. I thought that they were just blowing smoke up my rear end but for the reasons chirurgino has stated, I think it has gotten slightly more competitive.

5. resxn

resxn 10+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2006
    More competitive also because there will be a little more time for SubI's and research. A few extra months can certainly sweeten a CV, especially for a med student who only decided on ENT within the last year or two.

6. alekhine

alekhine 2+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2007
    are there still any oto positions filled through the SF match?
    I ask coz even few years ago u'll see that like 30-40 were filled through the NRMP

7. Leforte

Leforte Member Moderator Physician PhD Faculty 10+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Nope. All allopathic ENT positions are now filled through the regular match.