Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Regular Match

Discussion in 'Otolaryngology' started by tharkuhn, Mar 5, 2007.

1. tharkuhn

tharkuhn New Member

Any thoughts/opinions on how ENT changing to regular match will effect the competitiveness etc..?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chirurgino

chirurgino A pound of flesh

Resident [Any Field]
    It's hard to know for sure, but the opinion I've heard most often from program directors is that the regular match will likely increase competition for spots for 2 reasons--1: you'll pick up some people who "discover" ENT late in 3rd year and who still have time to apply, and 2: co-applying to general surgery is a lot more difficult, and the ENT application group will therefore be more highly self-selected. In theory, I guess you could still co-apply in general surgery, but I think the interviews would start to conflict.

4. RS6

RS6 Junior Member

I would totally agree with chirurgino. I kept hearing from PD and Chairs that this year's class was the most competitive. I thought that they were just blowing smoke up my rear end but for the reasons chirurgino has stated, I think it has gotten slightly more competitive.

5. resxn

Attending Physician
    More competitive also because there will be a little more time for SubI's and research. A few extra months can certainly sweeten a CV, especially for a med student who only decided on ENT within the last year or two.

6. alekhine

Medical Student
    are there still any oto positions filled through the SF match?
    I ask coz even few years ago u'll see that like 30-40 were filled through the NRMP

7. Leforte

Leforte Member
    Moderator Physician PhD Faculty

Attending Physician
    Nope. All allopathic ENT positions are now filled through the regular match.