Rejected an MD acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cascadian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the 2017-2018 cycle, I applied to 24 schools, of which I interviewed at 2 and was accepted at 1. The acceptance came from USUHS (the military medical school). After a lot of deliberating, I decided to decline the offer (further explanation below). I am in the process of reapplying, however I began reading that schools to which I am applying this year may know that I was previously accepted and thereafter declined the offer to an MD program. Can anyone (ideally people on admissions committees/with other experience) confirm or deny this?

Additionally, because I am already in the process of applying, would it be reasonable to get out ahead of the story and make it abundantly clear in whatever way I can why I chose to decline the offer? This would have to be in the secondaries, seeing as I already submitted my primary.

Decision to reject: First and foremost, my decision came as a result of seeing two of my siblings (who are current officers in the military) become frustrated with the bureaucracy of the military (long story there, but basically one was a victim in a car accident and the process of reinstitution into his unit was extremely tedious and time-consuming). Another reason is that I became aware that my ability to pursue some specialties may be limited based on what the military match has to offer (USUHS graduates apply to a different match cycle rather than the citizen match). For example, I may be unable to pursue ENT as a specialty if the military does not need any more ENTs and thus does not create spots for postgraduate training. Additionally, the turbulent political climate dissuaded me.

About me: Graduated in 2017 with B.S. in biology from my state university. GPA 3.83. MCAT 516. Some college athletics. Some research experience. ~400 volunteer hours. Currently working as medical scribe and tutor. Child of MD. ORM.

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot speak to how well your chances of getting an MD acceptance are. If it was any other school you rejected I would say your chances would be nearly zilch, but I think it seems understandable if you reconsidered the military.

However, do not frame it by the fact that the match is different and you were concerned about matching into different specialties. You should have known that before applying to the school, and saying otherwise will make it seem like you didn't know what you were getting into. Additionally it calls into question your commitment to medicine in general. Stick to your problems with the military, and what happened in the last year to change your mind (don't risk taking sides politically).

Reactions: 2 users
There's lots of other threads of other people posting about whether or not to "reject an MD acceptance," but it looks like you've gone and done so already. I suppose as long as you explain yourself thoroughly, it would seem reasonable that ADCOMs would understand given the circumstance. Being in the military is no joke, and definitely shouldn't be taken lightheartedly.

Best of luck

Edit: You can use the search bar to look up those past threads

Members don't see this ad :)
Please update your results after the cycle. Your unique situation will help SDN give advice to applicants similarly situated or applicants on the non-military side of medicine considering dropping an acceptance. GL!

Reactions: 4 users
Dude - Research and foresight!
This is your life you're playing with and you've shot yourself in the foot because you didn't do your homework. Your objections to military medicine were very foreseeable - at least they should have been had you done your research.

Maybe I'm extra mean, but I'd consider you in 2-3 years - not before.

Reactions: 6 users
In the 2017-2018 cycle, I applied to 24 schools, of which I interviewed at 2 and was accepted at 1. The acceptance came from USUHS (the military medical school). After a lot of deliberating, I decided to decline the offer (further explanation below). I am in the process of reapplying, however I began reading that schools to which I am applying this year may know that I was previously accepted and thereafter declined the offer to an MD program. Can anyone (ideally people on admissions committees/with other experience) confirm or deny this?

Additionally, because I am already in the process of applying, would it be reasonable to get out ahead of the story and make it abundantly clear in whatever way I can why I chose to decline the offer? This would have to be in the secondaries, seeing as I already submitted my primary.

Decision to reject: First and foremost, my decision came as a result of seeing two of my siblings (who are current officers in the military) become frustrated with the bureaucracy of the military (long story there, but basically one was a victim in a car accident and the process of reinstitution into his unit was extremely tedious and time-consuming). Another reason is that I became aware that my ability to pursue some specialties may be limited based on what the military match has to offer (USUHS graduates apply to a different match cycle rather than the citizen match). For example, I may be unable to pursue ENT as a specialty if the military does not need any more ENTs and thus does not create spots for postgraduate training. Additionally, the turbulent political climate dissuaded me.

About me: Graduated in 2017 with B.S. in biology from my state university. GPA 3.83. MCAT 516. Some college athletics. Some research experience. ~400 volunteer hours. Currently working as medical scribe and tutor. Child of MD. ORM.
I can't sugar coat this, we'd reject you at my school. You knew what you were getting into with the military,e specially with two sibs already in the service. It appears that your dislike (or rather, your fears) of the service bureaucracy outweighs you desire to be a doctor. Pity.

I'd like to hear what the wise @Gastrapathy would say.

I can't sugar coat this, we'd reject you at my school. You knew what you were getting into with the military,e specially with two sibs already in the service. It appears that your dislike (or rather, your fears) of the service bureaucracy outweighs you desire to be a doctor. Pity.

I'd like to hear what the wise @Gastrapathy would say.

Understandable. Thank you for the response. With regards to my question, can you verify that schools will definitely know I was previously accepted, and if so, will they know that the acceptance came from USUHS? Will DO schools be privy to that information as well?

In the 2017-2018 cycle, I applied to 24 schools, of which I interviewed at 2 and was accepted at 1. The acceptance came from USUHS (the military medical school). After a lot of deliberating, I [redacted].

I'm no AdCom but personally, I wouldn't be forgiving to a reapplicant, especially one who didn't wait a cycle, if I saw this. You should have known better.

I'm really sorry about your two siblings... it is also different as far as treatment when you are a doctor in the military rather than an officer or someone who is enlisted. This goes from boot camp all the way through retirement.

USUHS is no friggin' joke. Why in the world would you apply there if you did little to no research about this stuff? There are reasons why choosing military medicine is not for everyone, especially at USUHS. There are reasons why you get paid an O1 salary and have no debt when you go to USUHS. Trade-offs. But ultimately going to USUHS comes from a foundation of wanting to serve your country (hey, the perks also help). But if that wasn't ingrained in you from the start, I am truly confused as to why you applied in the first place.

I don't mean to come off as harsh, but as someone who got into USUHS, was medically DQ'd, and would've punched someone - or worse - to go here and serve my country, I get a little upset when I see a post like this.

What branch did you get offered?

Reactions: 4 users
I'm no AdCom but personally, I wouldn't be forgiving to a reapplicant, especially one who didn't wait a cycle, if I saw this. You should have known better.

I'm really sorry about your two siblings... it is also different as far as treatment when you are a doctor in the military rather than an officer or someone who is enlisted. This goes from boot camp all the way through retirement.

USUHS is no friggin' joke. Why in the world would you apply there if you did little to no research about this stuff? There are reasons why choosing military medicine is not for everyone, especially at USUHS. There are reasons why you get paid an O1 salary and have no debt when you go to USUHS. Trade-offs. But ultimately going to USUHS comes from a foundation of wanting to serve your country (hey, the perks also help). But if that wasn't ingrained in you from the start, I am truly confused as to why you applied in the first place.

I don't mean to come off as harsh, but as someone who got into USUHS, was medically DQ'd, and would've punched someone - or worse - to go here and serve my country, I get a little upset when I see a post like this.

What branch did you get offered?

The impetus for my application was that my father was in the Navy, and it was a powerful and positive vehicle for him to propel his career. I became truly interested in serving my country as both a physician and officer, but as I said, the experiences over the last year of both of my military siblings were dissuasive enough to make me decline the acceptance. I mentioned the difficulties with reinstitution of one after a car accident; the other went through some challenging experiences while deployed in the Middle East. Discussion at length about the prospects of a career in the military with both of my siblings came after I was accepted. I was offered a spot in the Navy.

I'm sorry that happened to you, and sorry you feel that way.

Yes they can/will know that you were accepted by USUHS. For the 2017-2018 cycle, the national acceptance report lists every acceptance by every applicant by AMCAS ID. Each school's admission tracking software can be configured to automatically pull this data, populate each AMCAS ID with info, and see it on a subsequent application. Now whether or not a school uses this feature is unknown but you have to assume they will
Thanks for the response gonnif. In the future, would it be reasonable to be upfront and open about addressing my decision in my application in any way that I can?

Understandable. Thank you for the response. With regards to my question, can you verify that schools will definitely know I was previously accepted, and if so, will they know that the acceptance came from USUHS? Will DO schools be privy to that information as well?
DO schools don't see where you've been accepted, but many schools (MD and DO) now ask if you've ever been accepted elsewhere.

Schools that do not ask about prior acceptances will likely never find out about this. Hopefully you get into one of them on the second try.

Schools that do ask about prior acceptances will likely have a very mixed reaction to your story. I can see some people on my own committee being very forgiving of your decision, and others, not so much.

Reactions: 1 user
With your stats, I'm surprised you didn't get accepted or at least more interviews to other schools.
What was your previous school list like? Did you go too top heavy?
I feel like if you applied to average schools you should have gotten a few more interviews

@Goro @gonnif decided to post on this thread instead of wasting space on a new one.

If I was accepted to USUHS but could not matriculate because I was medically DQ'd... do I need to indicate that anywhere?
... because I haven't...
:heckyeah:

With your stats, I'm surprised you didn't get accepted or at least more interviews to other schools.
What was your previous school list like? Did you go too top heavy?
I feel like if you applied to average schools you should have gotten a few more interviews
I tried to narrow my list to schools with median MCATs at or below my score and that didn't have a huge research focus, although I certainly applied to too many public out-of-state schools. I was much more meticulous in selecting my schools this time around.