REJECTED and out of nowhere, an urgent interview from the same school? wtf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hackeman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I receive I call from a Med School that im interested, apply to only 2 schools. I rejected one of them yesterday and a couple of hours later the other Med School called me asking for an interview. This is so strange because classes begin Mid-July and they stopped offering interviews in May. Also, I've heard they have a long waiting list; on top of that, I receive a rejection letter from them 1 month ago. Do any of you had an experience like this? Why do they reject me in the first place? Do you think that my M.S. and a Ph.D. had any influence? or they simply made a mistake? or offer me an interview just to fill some requirements from the school. I just don't get it and I feel suspicious about this. If someone can give me an advice, I will be very grateful. I just don't want to prepare and go there for nothing....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That is very odd. The only thing that comes to mind would be that there were a significant amount of people who decided to drop that school or leave the wait list etc. Maybe it was a mistake but i really doubt it. I would ask them if they have the right person as the phone call could have been the mistake not the rejection letter. Ive never heard of something like this so i would definitely question it. Nonetheless post when you find out what happened very interested to find out.

Reactions: 1 user
That is very odd. The only thing that comes to mind would be that there were a significant amount of people who decided to drop that school or leave the wait list etc. Maybe it was a mistake but i really doubt it. I would ask them if they have the right person as the phone call could have been the mistake not the rejection letter. Ive never heard of something like this so i would definitely question it. Nonetheless post when you find out what happened very interested to find out.
Thanks for the reply, i don't think the phone call was the mistake because she called me by my name and asked me specific questions about my AMCAS and PhD. I'll let everyone know the end of this odd situation....

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you or anyone acting on your behalf contact the school since your rejection?
ummm that's a possibility, but I don't know. The thing is, at the beginning, I had an argument with the same woman that called me because 1 of the transcript never arrived. It wasn't my fault because I sent them twice. She told me they will give me an opportunity if I wrote a letter explaining the situation. Also, without her knowing, I sent the same letter and my CV to the dean of the school, to one investigator (R01 researcher who was interested in my research experience) and to the dean of the biomedical sciences, nevertheless they rejected me 1 month later.

ummm that's a possibility, but I don't know. The thing is, at the beginning, I had an argument with the same woman that called me because 1 of the transcript never arrived. It wasn't my fault because I sent them twice. She told me they will give me an opportunity if I wrote a letter explaining the situation. Also, without her knowing, I sent the same letter and my CV to the dean of the school, to one investigator (R01 researcher who was interested in my research experience) and to the dean of the biomedical sciences, nevertheless they rejected me 1 month later.
This is exactly what I'm talking about.
I've seen this when an irate (and highly placed) donor, institute director... goes bananas when their protege is not interviewed and the dean finds it expedient to appease them.
My bet is that you are the only one being interviewed that day. If I am right, it is a courtesy interview on behalf of your PI.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of going to the interview in shorts and sandals :happy:. I'm pretty sure that class is full, but the curiosity is forcing me to go.

I have heard of this happening when the applicant is from out-of-state and the school is looking to increase its income by admitting more out-of-state students. (Some State schools are hurting right now.) I know someone IRL who was interviewed and admitted in June a year or two ago at a state school after getting a rejection letter.

It is also possible that this is a courtesy interview because someone high on the food chain pulled some strings.

Today I receive I call from a Med School that im interested, apply to only 2 schools. I rejected one of them yesterday and a couple of hours later the other Med School called me asking for an interview. This is so strange because classes begin Mid-July and they stopped offering interviews in May. Also, I've heard they have a long waiting list; on top of that, I receive a rejection letter from them 1 month ago. Do any of you had an experience like this? Why do they reject me in the first place? Do you think that my M.S. and a Ph.D. had any influence? or they simply made a mistake? or offer me an interview just to fill some requirements from the school. I just don't get it and I feel suspicious about this. If someone can give me an advice, I will be very grateful. I just don't want to prepare and go there for nothing....

You applied to two schools? That's pretty ... limited.

What do you mean by "I rejected one of them yesterday"? If you mean that you got an offer and turned it down, that's pretty ..... reckless.

If you are interested in the school, going to the interview will not be "going there for nothing". It is your chance to make a good impression, to make potential future contacts, to enhance your reputation and to not piss off whoever wanted you to have that interview. And you may get an offer. Which I hope you would not turn down.

If you are interested in the school, going to the interview will not be "going there for nothing". It is your chance to make a good impression, to make potential future contacts, to enhance your reputation and to not piss off whoever wanted you to have that interview. And you may get an offer. Which I hope you would not turn down.
This will depend on the disposition of courtesy interviews at the school in question.

who cares why they called you! congratulations :)