Rejected by school I didn't apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrs.smith

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, apparently someone thinks I'm a sucky enough candidate that word traveled to a school I didn't even apply to. Got the rejection from Texas A&M today without ever having applied.

Here's some of the text:

Dear ____:

The College of Medicine has concluded its interview season and completed its final review of applicants for the Entering Year 2007 class. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a place at our institution this year. However, I encourage you to continue your efforts toward exemplary academic performance and extracurricular activities, and to reapply to our program.

In addition, please keep in mind that the process of evaluation is subjective. It is a process based on often limited information..... blah, blah, blah, blah

Yeah, "limited info" like I didn't even apply. Randomness!!

Members don't see this ad.

did you maybe send a primary? but no secondary?

and... that's hilarious. I'd much rather be rejected from places I never applied to than those I did, I guess... but you should appeal it... see what happens... it's bad enough we're getting real rejections but fakeouts? that's no fun...

Members don't see this ad :)
did you maybe send a primary? but no secondary?

...never considered any TX schools at any point during the application process cuz I'm not a TX resident and really had no desire to try the OOS route there.

Only thing I can think of is that I went to a meeting in October to present my research and maybe I signed up on some list at the A&M booth? Mysterious.

...never considered any Texas schools at any point during the application process.

The only think I can think of is that I went to a national meeting in October to present research and maybe I signed up on some list at the A&M booth or something? Mysterious.

Well, smith is a common name -- they may have confused you with another applicant.:laugh:

my best guess is you accidentally checked off the school on you amcas app. take another look.

my best guess is you accidentally checked off the school on you amcas app. take another look.

I don't think TX A&M is an AMCAS school. They use a separate app, don't they?

Plus I only applied to 5 schools, so easy to keep track.

Yeah, Texas is not part of AMCAS, we have a completely separate system for our state schools. You are probably just on their e-mail list of applicants/potential applicants.

That's hilarious.

You should write them to thank them for their "thorough review of your application" and ask for their advice on how you could make it stronger for next year.:laugh:

That's hilarious.

You should write them to thank them for their "thorough review of your application" and ask for their advice on how you could make it stronger for next year.:laugh:

I know you're joking, but that is a seriously good idea! Make them look for the non-existent app and see how they weasel their way out of that one!

Rofl...it's sad because this isn't the first time I've seen this happen

Hmmm. Does this mean I can also be accepted to schools I didn't apply to?

Maybe I should just show up to orientation for OHSU...

Would be even better if you got an acceptance from a school that you never applied too.... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Would be even better if you got an acceptance from a school that you never applied too.... :laugh:

Dear Baylormed,

It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine class of 2011...

Yeah, that would be sweet. :laugh:

Could be a scam for them to make their acceptance rate look lower :p yes, rejecting people who didn't apply would do that

Dear Mayo Clinic College of medicine,
I am very pleased to accept your offer of admission into the class of 2011. The offer of acceptance is ideally suited to my educational background and fantasy. Although, we both know that i did not apply to your world renowned college of medicine,i am grateful for the unsolicited opportunity you have given me.
Despite the cold weather in your state ,I still look forward to starting med school with other ultrasecretly selected students. I appreciate your confidence in me and i promise to work by butts off inorder not to fail your anatomy class.

sincerely,

I'm going to withdraw my application from Penn and see what they think. ;)

It also might be worthwhile (at least courtesy to the school) let notify the school that an accidental email was sent to you just in case they got you confused with another applicant. I had this problem when a copy of a $500 deposit check was sent to my house thanking me for making the choice to matriculate into medical school (there was another person with the same rare last name and I was also on their school's list serve so it was sent to me lol). I notified the school and send the check back. Am I the only one who was sent an accidental acceptance lol.

I dont know how they can really make this mistake...maybe someone is trying to use your identity to get into medical school...hey it could happen

I dont know how they can really make this mistake...maybe someone is trying to use your identity to get into medical school...hey it could happen

Anyone else find it ironic that they are willing to go through the hassle of fingerprinting you at the MCAT to ensure your identity, but med schools can't get manage to mail letters to the right people? :laugh:

Added: You should def email them and ask why you didnt get it and how you could improve your application - I am dying to know their response. Come on... I triple dog dare you!

It wasnt even addressed to him. It says "dear------(blank)" it could have been anyones name!

So, apparently someone thinks I'm a sucky enough candidate that word traveled to a school I didn't even apply to. Got the rejection from Texas A&M today without ever having applied.

Here's some of the text:

Dear ____:

The College of Medicine has concluded its interview season and completed its final review of applicants for the Entering Year 2007 class. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a place at our institution this year. However, I encourage you to continue your efforts toward exemplary academic performance and extracurricular activities, and to reapply to our program.

In addition, please keep in mind that the process of evaluation is subjective. It is a process based on often limited information..... blah, blah, blah, blah

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I spilled my coffee laughing.

During my first year of medical school, Duke made a mistake by sending letters to all of the previous year's applicants telling them about how to pay their application fees online:

Dear Prospective Student:

We are aware that you are having difficulties accessing the payment process which completes and submits your application to our office. The medical school payment gateway process has been changed from an independent format used in years past, to a University mandated payment gateway which has been created for all schools and administrative offices at Duke University that accept on-line credit card transactions. Unfortunately, the updates and "real-time" execution of this process is not under our control and we apologize for our inability to accept your on-line payment thus far. The University's and our own technical staff are working to finalize and implement the necessary upgrades which will satisfy the safety and security of your transaction. The reason for this delay is a University-wide expectation that once we accept your personal information we can assure you that the highest levels of credit card industry security are in place. The medical school admissions office will not proceed without that verification. Your application is NOT in jeopardy. Once we've received authorization to proceed, you will receive another email that our payment gateway is fully and securely operational. We are contacting you via email which will hopefully eliminate any anxiety and to let you know that we appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,
Richard S. Wallace Associate
Director of Admissions
Duke University School of Medicine

You should def email them and ask why you didnt get it and how you could improve your application - I am dying to know their response. Come on... I triple dog dare you!

Challenge accepted. I emailed them today. Can't wait for a response.

I am definitely following this story to see what happens next.

School: Um, we felt your extra curriculars could be stronger. Perhaps you could volunteer for a little longer and um, work on grades.
You: I don't understand. I've been volunteering for 8 years and I have a 4.0 undergrad, 4.0 grad with a PhD. I fly out to Africa each weekend to hand deliver medication to children. How can I improve that?
School: Oh....let me transfer you to...::hangs up::

WashU apparently though I was so sucky that they rejected me in December and then again in January. I'm hoping to get one for February too, so I can start a collection.

p.s. dying to hear what A&M has to say about your app! hahah

did u get the rejection via e-mail or snail mail?

BU thinks im two different people (one with and one w/o my middle name)... they got one AMCAS, one Secondary, and i got one pre-interview hold and one pre-interview rejection....

Not quite the same thing, but I withdrew from Cornell and a week or so later got a rejection letter from them.....huh?

"I trump your withdrawal with a rejection!"

Not quite the same thing, but I withdrew from Cornell and a week or so later got a rejection letter from them.....huh?

kind of like "dump you before getting dumped" big big :thumbdown:

lol you should trump THEM by sending THEM a rejection letter. Kind of like, thank you for your interest in me but with all the qualified medical schools that have been in the running for me this year, the decision was a difficult one. :laugh:

well i am still waiting for a post-interview rejection (or anything) from a school I interviewed at last year :)

please post their reply...you should have called them...or you could debate your rejection and ask that your file be re-reviewed because you think that a mistake was made in the analysis of your application

Dude, the same thing happened to me...well, kinda.

I sent a primary to BU and didn't bother with the secondary.... so I was surprised to get the rejection email!

I didn't know they had time to even review incomplete applications...:rolleyes:

I sent a primary to BU and didn't bother with the secondary.... so I was surprised to get the rejection email!

me 2..got it today

It would be more hilarious to get accepted to a school an acceptee didn't even apply to........

it is common for schools to reject those who only sent in primarys

did u get the rejection via e-mail or snail mail?

I got the rejection via snail mail. I sent a one sentence email asking the admissions office what part of my application was weak and needed work. Today, I just got a generic repeat of what the original rejection letter said. No fun.

"Some general factors you may wish to consider in preparation for your next application are:
* Academic and/or MCAT performance
* Ability to communicate and interact effectively
* Social conciousness
* Participation in community human service activities or altruism
* Clinical or health care related experiences
* Leadership in school organizations or community projects
* Quality of personal statement
* Evidence of motivation for medicine as a career
* Awareness and knowledge of cultural factors as they impact health care
* Support from your faculty
* Advice/guidance from your health professions advisor
* Submission of application materials in a timely manner
On behalf if the faculty and staff of our College of Medicine, we wish you well."

:rolleyes: Things they should have written :rolleyes:
1) become a TX resident
2) or at least know where the heck College Station, TX is
3) express an interest in attending Texas A&M College of Medicine
4) figure out how to file a TMDSAS application
5) and, of course, send us some money to review the aforementioned application

it must be the timely submission that got you :laugh:

it must be the timely submission that got you :laugh:

Yeah, cuz I had everything else they want and more:
4.0 Ivy League undergrad, 40 MCAT
started a Healthcare for the Homeless program
pediatric oncology volunteer for 4 years at top hospital
worked in a medical clinic and as a surgery tech
tons of paid cancer research experience
published author (both scientific papers & novels)
freelance editor and technical writer
started an opera company
animal rescue group in my "free time"
showed my pooch at Westminster this month
all while playing mommy to the cutest little boy who ever lived

If only I had known they were waiting on my timely submission of an application.... obviously, I threw away a guaranteed acceptance!

Here's some of the text:

Dear ____:

Hey just wanted to tell you that I was having a really bad morning, and this made me laugh for the past 15 minutes. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks, good luck with all the school you DID apply to!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I had an experience along the same line:

I got an interview from OHSU and declined via a phone call and message about a week after. Than a week before the date of the would-be interview, I received a packet full of interview information. I called again and left a message explaining that I was declining the interview. Then about noon of the would-be interview day I received a nasty message on my phone about being rude for not informing them that I would not be coming and that I wasted a spot for someone else.

Than a week after that I received a personalized email politely acknowledging my withdrawal.

So, not as cool as a random rejection, but still entertaining for me.

I would write them a letter and state that you reject their rejection.

I never heard of this happening before, but it's hilarious. I guess the next step is to call them and ask them to go over your app with you? :laugh: