Rejected & reapplying... Suggestions on what I can do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fannibal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow SDNers, I am on 2 waitlists for med schools and since it is the middle of july, I don't think I have much chances getting on at this point. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions as to what I can do now as I start to reapply.

Let me tell you a lil bit about myself first
I graduated from college from a top engineering school with a GPA of 3.4, got a 34N(13P 11B 10V) on my MCATs, and have quite a bit of research experience and plenty of volunteering experience.

I have found some post bac programs, but most of them have application deadlines that have passed(except UPENN, which has a deadline of tomorrow).
My college premed advisor recommended americorps and that deadline is tomorrow as well.
I can always pursue more research? This options seems most realistic for me now but I already have tons of research experience.
I considered other types of volunteering but I don't think a little overkill to do that 9-5 for an entire year.

Can someone recommend something for me to do? Thanks a lot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

That's pretty surprising that you did not get in. Hopefully you did not apply only to top-tier schools. I'd defiantely contact some of the schools you interviewed at, especially your state school(s). I'd ask how you interviewed; maybe your interview skills need polishing. Finally, do you wish to pursue purely clinical medicine, or be involved in academics in some way? Just from reading your post, I can't tell what your specific goal is within medicine. Would you really be as happy working for Americorp as you would be being a research tech?

I agree with the prior posters. First and foremost, you need to find out -- to the best of your ability -- why you didn't get in anywhere. Talk (or email or even go in person) to the schools you were rejected from, and see if they are willing to tell you why you were rejected/waitlisted, and what you can do about it. And then follow their advice, and perhaps a bit more.

Unfortunately, some premeds are so eager to be doctors right now and so eager to get into medical school that they won't take the time to build a solid foundation. Personally, I think that you could improve your GPA and MCAT scores. 3.4 and 34 aren't that competitive any more; want proof: check out the lastest MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements). Most of the medical schools listed have median GPAs of 3.5-3.7. It is not too late to sign up for classes at a local 4-year school (avoid community colleges at this stage), perhaps, choosing some upper division biology or chemistry. Taking undergraduate courses will strengthen your GPA a bit. If you could get in 4-6 courses over a year, your GPA may rise to a 3.5 perhaps.

And consider retaking the MCAT, but only if you fee strongly that you can do better than a 34N. The N, in my opinion, could be higher.

Fannibal said:
Hi fellow SDNers, I am on 2 waitlists for med schools and since it is the middle of july, I don't think I have much chances getting on at this point. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions as to what I can do now as I start to reapply.

I graduated from college from a top engineering school with a GPA of 3.4, got a 34N(13P 11B 10V) on my MCATs, and have quite a bit of research experience and plenty of volunteering experience.

I have found some post bac programs, but most of them have application deadlines that have passed(except UPENN, which has a deadline of tomorrow).
My college premed advisor recommended americorps and that deadline is tomorrow as well.
I can always pursue more research? This options seems most realistic for me now but I already have tons of research experience.
I considered other types of volunteering but I don't think a little overkill to do that 9-5 for an entire year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the prior posters. First and foremost, you need to find out -- to the best of your ability -- why you didn't get in anywhere. Talk (or email or even go in person) to the schools you were rejected from, and see if they are willing to tell you why you were rejected/waitlisted, and what you can do about it. And then follow their advice, and perhaps a bit more.

Unfortunately, some premeds are so eager to be doctors right now and so eager to get into medical school that they won't take the time to build a solid foundation. Personally, I think that you could improve your GPA and MCAT scores. 3.4 and 34 aren't that competitive any more; want proof: check out the lastest MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements). Most of the medical schools listed have median GPAs of 3.5-3.7. It is not too late to sign up for classes at a local 4-year school (avoid community colleges at this stage), perhaps, choosing some upper division biology or chemistry. Taking undergraduate courses will strengthen your GPA a bit. If you could get in 4-6 courses over a year, your GPA may rise to a 3.5 perhaps.

And consider retaking the MCAT, but only if you fee strongly that you can do better than a 34N. The N, in my opinion, could be higher.

As far as volunteering, I would only do so much. You've already mentioned that you have significant volunteer and research experience. Focus your attention on the numbers: GPA and MCAT.

Fannibal said:

SGMD1 said:
Did you meet with anyone from the schools that rejected you to find out what it was about your application that needed strengthening? Your MCAT is great and your GPA seems fine...unless your science GPA is much lower you probably wouldn't significantly benefit from an SMP-type program. If you haven't already, talk with people on the adcoms from schools you applied to (from my understanding many of them are more than willing to do this) and figure out what more they were looking for, and I would focus on that (if it's EC's, which it doesn't sound like it would be, then you could apply for research tech jobs, for example). If on the other hand you think you need to improve your grades, you could either take some (relatively) cheap upper level science courses at your state university in an informal postbacc setting, or you could do something like Harvard's Health Careers Program which doesn't have an application deadline...but just my $.02. Good luck.

It says on the harvard extension web site:

"Premedical students in the Extension School who have secured the sponsorship of their previous schools or who intend to apply to medical school without sponsorship need not join the Health Careers Program."

I already have sponsorship, so that rules out that option. Does anyone have any other suggestions? How about volunteering organizations, does anyone have any experiences with them? do any of them allow for part time volunteering? or should I just keep on volunteering at the local hospital instead?

in response to the other comment about me improving my MCATs, I took the MCATs twice with 32M and 34N, if you take the highest of the B and P from the two tests, I have a 36N. the N is a bit low, but i don't really want to take the MCATs again in fear that I will lower the 34 just for a higher writing grade.

Never mind guys, I got into Temple. =P . . . talk about last minute. I applied last minute and got in last minute

If anyone is reading this and hasn't submitted their AMCAS... DO IT NOW! DO NOT PROCRASTINATE

DO NOT PROCRASTINATE YOUR APPLICATION!

Who are you people? A 3.4 in engineering and a 34 on the MCAT is not competitive, give me a f!@#ing break. You probable wont get into harvard, but you can surely get into a state medical school. I dont understand some of you people, if you werent so psyco about grades and MCATs you might actually be able to have fun. Also, you ever wonder why there is a primary care shortage, because ultra competitive people who make comments like that are the only ones that are getting in with the current stat obsessed process. Check out the data from 1991, the schools average GPA's have gone up every year as well as MCAT's, with fewer and fewer going into primary care, and fewer applicants. Primary care doctors prefer to also have a social life where they speak to others on a daily basis. You guys get a grip and go drink a beer, If your science GPA > 3.4 and your MCAT is > 27 stats say you will pass the boards, but for admissions its all about the highest numbers not the applicants interview, experiences, ect. What freaking joke, 3.4, 34N not competitive, if its not, he must have a felony conviction on his record or a past drug problem, or something, WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?

eccles1214 said:
Personally, I think that you could improve your GPA and MCAT scores. 3.4 and 34 aren't that competitive any more; want proof: check out the lastest MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements).

I have to disagree with this statement. Granted, a 3.4 GPA is not the greatest, but a 34 MCAT puts the OP in the 92nd percentile. Yes, the N is not great, but the 34 is more than sufficient to get an acceptance. I would rather have the 34N than a 30Q.

To the OP: Since you have gained an acceptance, do NOT retake the MCAT.