Rejected retroactive withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroluv16

Reaction score
Hello, recently I had been going through two autoimmune diagnoses and it was severely affecting one of my classes. I didn't withdraw in time because I didn't know the extent of how much it would affect me, and therefore sent a petition for a retroactive withdrawal, I had a doctor's note as well, yet I was rejected. I don't know what to do from here? Right now the class just says Incomplete, can I just explain that on my med school app the reasons behind it or will it severely hurt my chances? I'm really disheartened because my school isn't being understanding. Any advice will be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, recently I had been going through two autoimmune diagnoses and it was severely affecting one of my classes. I didn't withdraw in time because I didn't know the extent of how much it would affect me, and therefore sent a petition for a retroactive withdrawal, I had a doctor's note as well, yet I was rejected. I don't know what to do from here? Right now the class just says Incomplete, can I just explain that on my med school app the reasons behind it or will it severely hurt my chances? I'm really disheartened because my school isn't being understanding. Any advice will be helpful.
An Incomplete doesn't affect your GPA and doesn't necessarily mean something bad. Some research-for-credit classes, for example, leave an Incomplete on the record for term after term until the experience is completed, before a grade is assigned.

What are the terms of your Incomplete status? Do you have an opportunity to make up the work? If you don't comply with the terms, the Incomplete might turn into an F or other earned grade (depending on your grade status before you began to miss class and tests).

As far as having your petition denied, have you investigated your school's policies for appeal? It may be that there is an avenue for an additional appeal higher on chain of academic positions. Can you find out would have been necessary for a successful appeal? Perhaps there are additional requirements besides one doctor's note that you can meet.

Let's say the worst happens and you ultimately get an F on your academic record. Applicants with multiple past Fs have gotten into med school. You will have to compensate for the hit on your GPA with additional A-level grades. It might take longer before you are ready to apply. But this isn't a road block to success, so long as you keep your condition under control. It's a speed bump.