Rejecting a Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc 2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the Reapplicants section but haven't gotten much response. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever rejected a letter of rejection. I got into a school this year that I'm quite happy about, but I got rejected for the 3rd time from one of my state schools. So yesterday I sent a letter challenging my rejection, on the basis that they have never interviewed me or given me a reason on why they rejected me. I sent a certified letter to the Dean of the medical school and to the president of the university, figured I have nothing to loose now. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Just wondering if anyone else has ever done anything like this?

Members don't see this ad.

You people with your free time will do the craziest things.

Doc 2b said:
I posted this in the Reapplicants section but haven't gotten much response. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever rejected a letter of rejection. I got into a school this year that I'm quite happy about, but I got rejected for the 3rd time from one of my state schools. So yesterday I sent a letter challenging my rejection, on the basis that they have never interviewed me or given me a reason on why they rejected me. I sent a certified letter to the Dean of the medical school and to the president of the university, figured I have nothing to loose now. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Just wondering if anyone else has ever done anything like this?

med schools don't have to give a reason for rejecting you

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc 2b said:

I would definately like to know what they say, since I've never heard of anyone doing this. On the other hand, they really don't have to give you a reason why they reject you since they reject so many applicants every cycle. Post back with their response.

I know they don't have to give you a reason. That isn't the point of my post, the point is I'm an applicant with decent scores, good GPA, published research, very active on campus, and more experience in the hospital than any pre-med at my college. I'm just kind of pissed they didn't interview me. I feel that in the state I have lived my entire life, where all of my tax dollars have gone to fund education, I at least deserve an interview. So...I sent them a letter telling them. I'll let you all know, they should have gotten it today.

OSUdoc08 said:
med schools don't have to give a reason for rejecting you

ofcourse they do...you're entitled to know what is wrong with your application so that u can improve in the future...you've invested money into ur application so the least they can do is tell u why you didn't get in...let it be any reason they come up with...grades/extracc./MCATs...

I don't think challenging rejections will always help though because in many cases, the students meet the school's requirement but the school simply chooses the better applicant out of the bunch....for example...if an undergrad student is interviewing in the same day as a whole bunch of Masters students...her/his chances r pretty weak compared to the rest....so luck/fate/whatever u wanna call it sometimes plays a role in those things....my 2 cents :cool:

Doc 2b said:

Hell, yeah-I think thats awesome-as long as you did it respectfully. I don't know if I would challenge them- but I'm going to bug some of the schools that don't interview or accept me-because I want to know why as well.

I agree theres nothing to lose-so why not ask?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I officially got rejected today. I'm so glad that I have already been accepted to MSUCOM because that letter would have been very frustrating to read today. Wayne State rejected me without even a secondary. MSUCOM was definitely my top choice anyway and had been meaning to withdraw my other applications. I wish I would have done it sooner. I keep wondering if MSUCOM knows what they are doing :laugh: !

marie337 said:
I don't have an answer to your question, but I officially got rejected today. I'm so glad that I have already been accepted to MSUCOM because that letter would have been very frustrating to read today. Wayne State rejected me without even a secondary. MSUCOM was definitely my top choice anyway and had been meaning to withdraw my other applications. I wish I would have done it sooner. I keep wondering if MSUCOM knows what they are doing :laugh: !

Hey Marie, we will probably be in the same class-MSUCOM 2009 here. :thumbup:

I applied to MSUCHM and Wayne State as well-Wayne has got my app on hold (post-secondary) and MSUCHM is still making their decision. Slow @sses.

Doc 2b said:
I know they don't have to give you a reason. That isn't the point of my post, the point is I'm an applicant with decent scores, good GPA, published research, very active on campus, and more experience in the hospital than any pre-med at my college. I'm just kind of pissed they didn't interview me. I feel that in the state I have lived my entire life, where all of my tax dollars have gone to fund education, I at least deserve an interview. So...I sent them a letter telling them. I'll let you all know, they should have gotten it today.

I don't understand your decision for two reasons.

Firstly, even a guy with a 45T and a 4.0 GPA who cured cancer and blew up the Death Star isn't "owed" anything, even at Podunk State College of Medicine. They have no moral or financial obligation to look out for you.

Secondly, even if you do get an interview, and are accepted, the bad feelings from this process would be difficult to ignore. Would you honestly feel comfortable going there if you have to force your way in against their will?

UseUrHeadFred said:

Firstly, even a guy with a 45T and a 4.0 GPA who cured cancer and blew up the Death Star isn't "owed" anything, even at Podunk State College of Medicine. They have no moral or financial obligation to look out for you.

Secondly, even if you do get an interview, and are accepted, the bad feelings from this process would be difficult to ignore. Would you honestly feel comfortable going there if you have to force your way in against their will?

Letter is already sent out. Just wait to hear what they have to tell him.

UseUrHeadFred said:

who cares..he has nothing to lose...i commend that guy and give him all the respect in the world for looking out for his rights....it take alot of guts to challenge those admissions ppl...he already got in and the result on this interview will not be an "all or nothing" deal...serisously..i applaud this person for doing that...we should follow his lead instead of criticizin his desicion...i support u 100 percent man...pl let us know how things turn out....

UseUrHeadFred said:
...even a guy with a 45T and a 4.0 GPA who cured cancer and blew up the Death Star isn't "owed" anything, even at Podunk State College of Medicine.
Best. Extracurricular activity. Ever. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
here is what I send out:

Dear ADCOM,

Thank you for taking the time to review my application. I have received your letter of rejection for admissions to the class of 2009 and it has been reviewed. After careful consideration, I have decided that I cannot accept your rejection at this time. Unfortunately, I have received an unusually high number of qualified rejections this year, and I simply cannot accept all of them. Please plan on my attendance at your school next fall.
Sincerely,

medic170

medic170 said:
here is what I send out:

Dear ADCOM,

Thank you for taking the time to review my application. I have received your letter of rejection for admissions to the class of 2009 and it has been reviewed. After careful consideration, I have decided that I cannot accept your rejection at this time. Unfortunately, I have received an unusually high number of qualified rejections this year, and I simply cannot accept all of them. Please plan on my attendance to your school next fall. Again, thank you for your rejection, I wish I were in a position to accept it.

Sincerely,

medic170

Very good - a little repetetive- but very funny. Are you SERIOUSLY sending these out? How comic!

UseUrHeadFred said:
even a guy with a 45T and a 4.0 GPA who cured cancer and blew up the Death Star isn't "owed" anything

If someone cures cancer and doesn't get the Nobel Prize for it, it'll be a travesty of justice. ;)

drbeesh said:
i commend that guy and give him all the respect in the world for looking out for his rights.

You have a funny definition of "rights". As I stated, nobody has a right to go to medical school - even if they're the most qualified person in the whole word. It's a privilege.

While I agree that he had nothing to lose, he had nothing to gain, either. It seems more spiteful, and thus in bad taste.

It's not that big a deal, I'm not being super critical and demonizing the guy for sending it. Hell, I've sent some serious fireball-style letters out of spite. But let's not act as though it's some gallant act akin to David and Goliath.

UseUrHeadFred said:
You have a funny definition of "rights". As I stated, nobody has a right to go to medical school - even if they're the most qualified person in the whole word. It's a privilege.

While I agree that he had nothing to lose, he had nothing to gain, either. It seems more spiteful, and thus in bad taste.

It's not that big a deal, I'm not being super critical and demonizing the guy for sending it. Hell, I've sent some serious fireball-style letters out of spite. But let's not act as though it's some gallant act akin to David and Goliath.

my friend you're overreacting and misinterpreting the whole situation....i never said u have right to go to medical school...please read my post carefully..no one has that right..i agree with u there....but everyone has a RIGHT to know why they didnt get it in.....for example...if u had gotten arrested and been detained...would u not like to know why u've gotten arrested and on what basis......a more reasonable example, lets say u write an exam and u failed miserably...would u not like to know why u failed so that you would improve in the future...You owe it yourself to atleast find out why you did bad so you wouldnt repeat that mistake in the future...what good is it to know that u "failed" without knowing how to improve on your failure....

I cant speak on behalf of the person writing this letter because he can do that for himself and i cant tell u if he was doing that out of spite (which i doubt...) but all i can say is that he has EVERY RIGHT TO KNOW WHY HE GOT REJECTED....and really thats my opinion....u can call my view on "right" as a "funny" definition and i don't mind...i respect ur view but i completely disagree with what ur saying so i guess we'll just agree to disagree.....

i for one am very interested in what their response to the letter would be

keep us posted

Alpha&Omega said:
i for one am very interested in what their response to the letter would be

keep us posted

I did not actually send it out, I just made it up since they send out so many similar letters with the same theme.

Let me put a few things to rest.

I did not do this out of spite.

The letter I wrote was very respectful, completely sincere, and very honest. I included why I want to be a doctor and basically rewrote why i wanted to be a doctor trained in my state. If you were to read this letter you would see that I don't have a sense of entitlement. The tone of this letter was very friendly, and well worded. I know there are no "rights" to students in this game, but I feel that admissions committees are not inhumane, and may not be as malignant as they seem if approached in a different way.

drbeesh said:
i never said u have right to go to medical school...please read my post carefully..no one has that right..i agree with u there....but everyone has a RIGHT to know why they didnt get it in.....for example...if u had gotten arrested and been detained...would u not like to know why u've gotten arrested and on what basis......a more reasonable example, lets say u write an exam and u failed miserably...would u not like to know why u failed so that you would improve in the future...You owe it yourself to atleast find out why you did bad so you wouldnt repeat that mistake in the future...what good is it to know that u "failed" without knowing how to improve on your failure....

I cant speak on behalf of the person writing this letter because he can do that for himself and i cant tell u if he was doing that out of spite (which i doubt...) but all i can say is that he has EVERY RIGHT TO KNOW WHY HE GOT REJECTED....and really thats my opinion....u can call my view on "right" as a "funny" definition and i don't mind...i respect ur view but i completely disagree with what ur saying so i guess we'll just agree to disagree.....

Well said :thumbup:

medic170 said:
here is what I send out:

Dear ADCOM,

Thank you for taking the time to review my application. I have received your letter of rejection for admissions to the class of 2009 and it has been reviewed. After careful consideration, I have decided that I cannot accept your rejection at this time. Unfortunately, I have received an unusually high number of qualified rejections this year, and I simply cannot accept all of them. Please plan on my attendance at your school next fall.
Sincerely,

medic170

That might be the funniest thing i've read all day! I think you should make it into a T-shirt or something... :idea:

Got my Certified Receipt in the mail, so I know they have it. I guess I'll just wait and see if they respond.

drbeesh said:
who cares..he has nothing to lose.....

Well, he may want to do a residency there at some point in the future. And, believe it or not, this type of thing could ring a bell in someone's mind.

Never smart to burn too many bridges.

Doc 2b said:
Let me put a few things to rest.

I did not do this out of spite.

The letter I wrote was very respectful, completely sincere, and very honest. I included why I want to be a doctor and basically rewrote why i wanted to be a doctor trained in my state. If you were to read this letter you would see that I don't have a sense of entitlement. The tone of this letter was very friendly, and well worded. I know there are no "rights" to students in this game, but I feel that admissions committees are not inhumane, and may not be as malignant as they seem if approached in a different way.

I think this is an interesting experiment. You've got my blessing (as if that's worth anything).

Keep us up to date.

I think it is fair. As long as it is done respectfully as doc2b did.

Most of the time, it won't even make an impact... especially since they might not even make it to the dean. Assistant may just throw it out. But, it might register in someone's mind... and they may make special changes especially for state applicants.

Medic! That is funny! y'all are a trip!
Never hear of this type of thing.....rejecting a rejection! haha!

Im curious as to what they had to say! Keep us inform.'d Doc 2b.