rejection appeal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverant 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, how exactly do you write an appeal? What in the world do you say? I am thinking about "i know my MCAT score makes me look like a dumb a**, but really, i'm not".
Seriously, anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think it's appropriate to appeal unless:

your stats are above their averages, and you have excellent ec's/experiences and lor's. personally i would only appeal a rejection if my stats were well above their averages.

Sorry perseverant, there is really no excuse for a bad mcat score as long as u can retake, so if thats the basis for ur appeal, let it go. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
especially if you didn't get an interview, I don't think an appeal would do much good.

Don't appeal.

You have nothing to gain by it; unless there are truly significant extenuating circumstances, appealing only produces grimaces and chuckles for the admissions committee.

Move on, and focus your efforts on one of the other 125+ American medical schools.

Good luck,

doepug
MS III, Johns Hopkins

Yea go ahead write an appeal. Take your time to put together a beautifully written essay. This isn't a court system! If they're rejected you and you actually take the time to write a letter, they automatically sent a "we're sorry...." letter. Don't waste your time. :D And then they warn all the other medical schools that you're an idiot.

If you want to plant a big red flag in the middle of the admissions committee the next time you apply, you should do it.

"Stupidity is the only universal capital crime"

just let it go man.
its strictly business. you've got plenty of other schools and they've got other applicants.
do you still have the letter?
BURN IT!!
it's surprisingly therapeutic.
;)

Originally posted by lola
i don't think it's appropriate to appeal unless:

your stats are above their averages, and you have excellent ec's/experiences and lor's. personally i would only appeal a rejection if my stats were well above their averages.

I agree. You have to have grounds for the appeal, or you'll get laughed at.

Was it pre-secondary? If so, you're probably SOL.

If it was post secondary, I think it depends on whether you think there's important things the admissions committee still doesn't know about you. If their secondary was just a money grab with no essays, it might be worth your time to draft a letter higlighting some of your strengths/experiences that didn't make it into your personal statement and explain why you think they're a good match for you and why you're a good match for them. If their secondary had pretty extensive essays... :(