Rejection from all interviewed schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeedthisCat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here get 3 or more interviews and got rejected from all of them?

What do you do after being rejected after all your interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Improve your resume with some more experience and try again next fall. Apply sooner and practice your interviewing skills. Take a public speaking course, that can really help.

I would say work on your ability to convey your answers to the people conducting the interviews in a very cool and collected manner. Have confidence and believe there is no reason why you shouldn't be accepted :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is very RARE for a person to get rejected after getting 3 interviews unless that person is doing bad purposely on his/her interviews.

yes, that is what i think. You can get waitlist for 3 schools but not REJECT all. THis is Impossible

It is not necessarily impossible if someone does horribly in their interviews. They could have said something inappropriate or not had a good answer for "Why pharmacy?". There are a multitude of reasons why someone could get rejected post-interview. The important thing is to ask why you are rejected so that you can improve those aspects of your application.

I think it is very RARE for a person to get rejected after getting 3 interviews unless that person is doing bad purposely on his/her interviews.

I'm sure the OP loves hearing that.

It isn't uncommon. I've heard of a few people that applied to multiple schools, got several interviews (2-3) and were declined from all of them.

Unlikely. But not impossible.

so what my question is and I think the original question is, "What do you do in the mean time until the next round for applications, what do you do to improve?" My problem is that I just got my BS in Biology in December. I have three years of pharmacy work experience, next round Ill be at 4 and a half, my work experience includes compounding. My gpa not so strong 3.3 major 3.2 over all. I need to find something to do to increase my chances for next term.... Any suggestions? I was thinking off applying for my Masters at the Pharm school I want to go to. improve my gpa and apply early...:confused:

so what my question is and I think the original question is, "What do you do in the mean time until the next round for applications, what do you do to improve?" My problem is that I just got my BS in Biology in December. I have three years of pharmacy work experience, next round Ill be at 4 and a half, my work experience includes compounding. My gpa not so strong 3.3 major 3.2 over all. I need to find something to do to increase my chances for next term.... Any suggestions? I was thinking off applying for my Masters at the Pharm school I want to go to. improve my gpa and apply early...:confused:

You should apply out of state.

I recommend applying to private schools out of state-they dont have to . Apply to LECOM. It looks like you only applied to 4 schools. Apply to ten next year. I realize its a lot of money, but your chanced go up that you'll find a school that you will get in to.

At your interviews-don't get nervous. If you say something stupid- don't get nervous, just laugh about it and act confident- more confident that you really are. I said some really stupid things at my interview, but i just kept talking, I want shy and I got in both places i interviewed.

I recommend applying to private schools out of state-they dont have to . Apply to LECOM. It looks like you only applied to 4 schools. Apply to ten next year. I realize its a lot of money, but your chanced go up that you'll find a school that you will get in to.

At your interviews-don't get nervous. If you say something stupid- don't get nervous, just laugh about it and act confident- more confident that you really are. I said some really stupid things at my interview, but i just kept talking, I want shy and I got in both places i interviewed.

Exactly. During my interview at ohio state my chair was broken and was slowly making its way closer and closer to the ground while the conductors of the interview were discussing who they were and what they did. All I did was grab the seat lever and sunk it as low as the chair went and just said "I'm sorry, but my chair is broken" with some laughter. It ended up in a joke with a few laughs. Just be confident :thumbup:

It depends on the schools you interview at. Some schools only invite you to their interviews if they're 99% sure they're going to accept you. So basically 99 out of the 100 candidates they invite get in after the interview. Other schools invite 200 students but reject (or waitlist) 100 of them. Often times your interview has very little effect on the final outcome (interview performance is very hard to grade). If they accepted to you, you probably looked very good on paper to begin with. If not, chances are you weren't exactly what they were looking for, and they wouldn't have invited you if it weren't for the fact that some candidates are going to turn down their offers and they need some back ups.

It could also be that you're completely bombing the interviews. Those are rare cases though. The interview process is not very difficult and most people do well enough. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh joy ... what happens when I get rejected from all my schools, interview invite %:100% ... reject: 100%?

Are you the guy I heard about that asked his interviewers to refer to him as "batman"? Maybe that's why

It depends on the schools you interview at. Some schools only invite you to their interviews if they're 99% sure they're going to accept you. So basically 99 out of the 100 candidates they invite get in after the interview. Other schools invite 200 students but reject (or waitlist) 100 of them. Often times your interview has very little effect on the final outcome (interview performance is very hard to grade). If they accepted to you, you probably looked very good on paper to begin with. If not, chances are you weren't exactly what they were looking for, and they wouldn't have invited you if it weren't for the fact that some candidates are going to turn down their offers and they need some back ups.

It could also be that you're completely bombing the interviews. Those are rare cases though. The interview process is not very difficult and most people do well enough. :thumbup:

What other schools besides UF only invite people they're nearly sure they will accept? I always thought UF was the only one?

this happened to me last year. i only applied to 2 schools (xavier and uga), interviewed at both and got rejected from one and waitlisted at the other. i knew i had bombed my xavier interview because my interviewer was grilling me on questions about clinical pharmacy which i tried to answer but told her i had no experience and still she kept on asking them :(. i thought i did well on my uga interview, but after finding out my spot on the waitlist, i emailed the assistant dean there who interviewed me, and he told me what to improve upon (get involved with more volunteer work, learn to express my motivation for pharmacy better during interviews, and even though i had a competitive pcat score, taking it again and improving would help show i was committed). so my suggestion to you is email all your interviewers and ask what recommendations they have to improve your chances of getting in next year. also, you will have better chances as a reapplicant because it shows you are serious about pharmacy.

What other schools besides UF only invite people they're nearly sure they will accept? I always thought UF was the only one?

If you go through the school list in PharmCAS you'll see some schools have a very high interviewee acceptance rate (over 80%) whiles others are well below 50%.

You are right though. It seems the norm is closer to 50-60% acceptance rate for those interviewed. Which still leads me to believe they don't plan to accept many of the people they invite in the first place. Kinda sucks considering many of them travel across the country to go to the interviews. Certainly not cheap.

i agree with the chinese bandit, apply out of state, to many schools, and to a mixture of competitive schools that you want to get into, and some that are not as competitive just in case things don't go your way. at least you'll have another option, even though it's not your first choice.

I've been rejected by 5 schools, but that was because of the subpar GPA and I haven't had any interviews. It sounds like if you are getting interviewed and then rejected you might want to do some practice interviews and try to improve some.

i think you would do better if you applied out of state. Cali has notoriously high standards of acceptance.

2 of the easier schools to get into in California are Touro university and CA Northstate. I know majority of California schools do not require
the PCAT which makes it even more competitive to get in. I've been applying for the past 4 years and have been rejected every year with no interviews. However, I applied to numerous schools this year (mostly out of states) and received 5 interview invites. I've been waitlisted for 2 schools and am still waiting to hear back from the others. My suggestion to those of you asking is to apply really early, preferably before August, take the PCAT ( the more you take it, the more it shows your committment), repeat courses with grades of C or lower especially in science, try to obtain your BS if you haven't already done
so, or if you already have a BS, try to pursue your masters. You might also want to practice your writing skills and go through some mock interviews with friends (especially if you've already gotten interviews and got rejected after). Finaly, contact the school of your choice in May-June and ask them what you can do to strengthen your application. Good luck!!!

Uh, if you're from Texas why did you apply to all Cali schools? Do you secretly enjoy rejection?

Uh, if you're from Texas why did you apply to all Cali schools? Do you secretly enjoy rejection?

I have family in cali, I visited schools hear and nothing really stuck out about them other than the name. UT Austin, Texas Tech etc... No PCAT. And Just wanted to experience something different. Why not see other parts of the Country and meet new people? I dunno just my thoughts. I was looking at applying to UNLV, Puerto Rico (I speak spanish im mexican lol) and UNM.

apply to schools you actually have a shot at. don't waste time/money on a school that doesn't seem to match your standings

or if you already have a BS, try to pursue your masters.

I will note that most of what RxGrl posted was very good advice, I will mention that getting a masters is no cake-walk especially if an individual struggled during their undergraduate. Classes are more difficult (albeit some are just pass/fail), you have to do 1 year of independent research, and the Thesis writing + defense to a board of professors is STRESSFUL (using wikipedia as a source will no longer fly...). Lastly, getting into masters programs are difficult too as there are even less numbers of spots (usually 10-15) per applicant pool.

To OP, contact the head of the admissions committee from each school where you interviewed at. Some will be able to tell you what you'll need to work on directly for next years round. And if what the above posts say is true, and you only applied to California schools while being a Texas resident, then you've made a mistake. If you even looked at the admissions statistics for OUT-OF-STATE residents applying for admission into various CA schools, you would notice that USC, UCSD, and UCSF are pretty low on the totem pole (usually around 2-5% of students are from out of state). There are many schools in other states which are great (think East coast), or even in your state (UT and UH are excellent programs). I'm curious what you meant by they did not stick out to you much though...