SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Rejection letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Brown Eye Girl, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Brown Eye Girl

Brown Eye Girl 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2007
    I just got the bad news today that I was not accepted in NECO. I don't know what to do, I was really counting on getting in :( :( . I mean they say that its one of the easier schools to get into and I couldn't even do that. I am so upset. Has anyone else been rejected from there? The interview seemed to go well, or so I thought. Even the man who interviewd me said that all my "papers" were fine and that I shouldn't worry. WHY would he say that? Do you think its worth while phoning or emailing the man who interviewed me to find out? I even wrote the OAT right before my interview and improved my scores. If I didnt get in I was at least expecting to make the alternate list. Can someone shed some light please. I am so devastated and don't know what to do:(

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. eyecare4eyecare

eyecare4eyecare 2+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2006
    FL
    Hey Brown Eye Girl...I got rejected too =( . Although, I felt my interview was probably my worst one, so less of a suprise. I heard they filled up pretty fast this year, so by the time that I interviewed (late Feb.), there weren't a lot of seats to begin with. Also, the applicant pool is getting tougher each year, so it's not about NECO being the easiest school anymore...it's competitive everywhere now. Hopefully you applied to other schools?

Personally, I'm alternate listed for a couple and still on hold for another couple, so I still have a VERY slim chance, but I'm not gonna let that get me down. Just look on the brighter side of things...like, if you reapply, you'll most likely get in next year, since they like reapplicants. Definitly call them and ask why you got rejected so you can improve your application next year. If you're worried about not getting in to any school, then just remember that its ONLY a year off your entire life, which isn't much... I wouldn't mind taking a year off academia anyway.

4. Brown Eye Girl

Brown Eye Girl 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Thanks a lot! Yeah i will try not to get down about it but I feel as though I am getting pretty old now ( I am 24) and that I should know what I am doing with my life. I just don't know why my interviewer would say that I have nothing to worry about when in actual fact I do. I did apply to ICO but still have not heard from them :( and its been months! I have called and emailed so many times now. Its really just so upsetting - u work so hard for nothing.

5. odforme

odforme 2+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Hang in there! I would definitely ask your interviewer and maybe the admissions people if they have any constructive criticism for you to strengthen your application for next year. I know it seems awful now but sometimes everything really does happen for a reason. Keep your chin up.

6. KHE

KHE Senior Member Optometrist SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2005
    It was not for nothing. You will look back on it and learn from the experience. You will phone them and find out what you can do to improve your application and then you will do it and next year you will apply very very early.

Don't worry about being 24. That is not old. I'm 33 and I'm still trying to decide what I want to do with my life.

Always remember that John F. Kennedy took 3 times to pass the bar exam. Try not to get down on yourself. As dissapointed as you are, you will wake up tomorrow and realize that you are young, (presumably) healthy, and that sun has risen in the eastern sky. Take a day or two, like your wounds, treat yourself to nice spa and a fancy steak dinner and start over. You'll make it. :thumbup:

7. aldehyde

aldehyde 2+ Year Member

Oct 26, 2006
    I know exactly how you feel because I am in the same situation. I was interviewed and got rejected the next day. I mean, my score was a 330 TS, and 300 TA which i thought were decent at Nova. They didn't even put me on the waiting list. I even called the assistant dean and asked him specifically what i did wrong and how i can improve my application for next year. He simply said i wasn't competitive enough. I demanded to know exactly why i got rejected and he said he wasn't allowed to discuss that with me. Yeah.. b.s. I was devastated and I still am. I feel like a pathetic looser. I have to start all over again and i dont know... its just soo frustrating b/c i thought i did really well and was gonna be accepted. Some people got in with a 300 or lower so how come i didn't? I'm gonna start applying early next year and will improve in all areas. I might consider retaking my oat again for the 3rd time. Did anyone get in taking the oat more than twice? Will they look down upon me if i did? is my score now competitive enough? I just feel like giving up.

8. Eye-Spy

Eye-Spy 5+ Year Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    From what I can tell, for the schools with rolling admissions like NOVA and NECO, applying early is a HUGE help.
    So don't give up! Just get your apps as soon as the school will let you next year, and you should have a better shot. Actually, even just the fact that you were rejected once and are still applying again looks good, it shows that you are determined.

9. EyeQ

EyeQ 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007
    When did you apply? That could be a factor. How is your GPA? Optometric experience?

10. aldehyde

aldehyde 2+ Year Member

Oct 26, 2006
    i applied pretty late and as soon as i got my oat score i called the admission adviser and she invited me for an interview. The next day i called and she told me i got rejected. My gpa is around a 3.3 and i worked for an optometrist for 8months. i thought my status was decent and that was why she invited me for an interview. my interview went well, so i thought. So, i'm clueless as to why i didn't get an accepted or at least waitlisted. she said there were 10-15 spots and only 2more interview days left. They just made the decision so quickly and I really don't know what went wrong so that i can improve for next year.

11. mtrlOATgal

mtrlOATgal 7+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Canada
    aldehyde:
    but i thought that your stats are the norm and are competitive? perhaps it wasnt competitive enough when there were only a few seats left? but then why invite you to the interview?

you seem to have it all- i dont get it...... is it because you lack extracurricualrs and volunteering/ but you have been working at the optometrist office for 8 months already!!! when did you apply>?

12. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate 7+ Year Member

Jul 13, 2004
    how early did you apply? with any "rolling admissions", if you are the first to apply, you will have the highest chance of getting in

13. KHE

KHE Senior Member Optometrist SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2005
    I'm just guessing that with TS scores of 330 and an AA of 300, your non science sections of the OAT must have been substantially below normal. Your GPA sounds reasonable enough. I would probably retake the OAT.

14. IndianaOD

IndianaOD 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I'm sorry that you all did not get accepted, however I am very encouraged that the optometry schools are turning more people away. Competition can do nothing but help the profession.

15. Spearmint1

Spearmint1 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    IndianaOD, You've have to got to be the most narrow minded, heartless person from this board. I hope I never have to meet you in person or else I would smack you. You're happy someone got rejected even though they're qualified just to increase competition? Enough said.

16. IndianaOD

IndianaOD 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007

You are welcome to your opinion, I'd rather surround myself with competent and qualified candidates and clinicians. I've personally (no lie) seen some pretty suspect students get accepted. Our patients deserve nothing but the best.

I'm sure its difficult to get a rejection letter and I'm not trying to belittle anyone, but I do get tired of people saying that anyone can get into opt school. Somehow the rumor persists even though there are plenty of med and dental schools with similar or worse GPA averages.

I know several classmates who had to prove themselves in a masters program before they got accepted. They are doing fine now.

17. jMoo

jMoo New Member 2+ Year Member

May 23, 2006
    i would be a part of that group. i did a masters program prior to applying to improve my academics and increase my experience time. there are some schools that are harder to get into, but i dont think any particular school ranks the easiest. i too got rejected at neco and i applied to all my schools the first day that apps were out. however, i interviewed at berkeley which is claimed to be one of the harder schools. so it varies depending on who sees your file. i think neco didnt even offer me an interview because when i called they said i didnt complete gchem and ochem labs, but at my school, they are a part of the course so its impossible not to have completed them, but they said they didnt see the record on my transcript, which is hardly a thing i can control. i just think in addition to meeting the stats, it depends on the person/people who interviewed you and perhaps how they were feeling that day. so i agree with keeping your chin up because if this is what you really want to pursue in the future, then quitting shouldnt be an option. good luck :)

18. soupey

soupey beyond.ca 7+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Calgary CA
    double post...

19. soupey

Mar 8, 2007
    Calgary CA
  20. soupey

Mar 8, 2007
    Calgary CA

dude ouch, theres no reason to rub it into anyones face, i mean she couldve just had a late interview and therefore had less seats available to her, i feel fortunate to have gotten into NECO this yr...and i think part of the reason im in was because of the fact that i interviewed early...

i had interviews at both NECO and SUNY out of the 4 apps i sent...suny was by far the more competitive one...I was waitlisted there, and later rejected as i was too far down the list...my NECO interview, i had a case of food poisoning or something b4 i went and started sweating profusely and having stomach cramps right b4 i had to go up, it was terrible. i wasnt expecting to get in after all that, but i guess it still worked out...

statwise - i did pretty well on my OAT, but my overall gpa wasnt so hot, my prereq gpa wasnt much better, but im not sure if u can always compare...canadian and american universities/colleges differ a bit in difficulty and competition. my OAT score was 350/400 TS and AA, and my prereq GPA was ~3...im pretty sure my OAT score offset my GPA, if i were you i'd just apply EARLY EARLY next year, there are some ppl who got into SUNY only because they were basically handing out acceptances to anyone who interviewed early and were qualified. also get all ur prereqs out of the way before u apply this time, they arent going to look at u as much if htey dont kno how u'll perform in the classes that will matter in optometry later....

hope that helps, sorry to hear the news tho, better luck next time=)

21. HAB1206

HAB1206 2+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Biggest advice is to apply EARLY early EARLY. If the school has rolling admissions, then the earlier you submit your application, the more times they will review it.

22. still_confused

still_confused Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Sep 11, 2005
    westwood
    optometry ALWAYS turn people away, just look at the stats they put up. people post here to get some advice not for some super OD to be point out how that is great for optometry.

to the OP, just keep your head up and stay focused, itll work out, one way or another. KHE's kennedy example is what keeps me going day after day!

23. hfpepperbean47

hfpepperbean47 You wish you were me 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Can't agree with this statement more. I applied very early but didn't take the test until later so my file was not complete until very late. I can say (because I know) that I was one of the last handful of people accepted to PCO because I waited to take the test. If my scores weren't what they were I would probably have been waitlisted. This doesn't apply just to the test, it applies to everything included in the application.