Rejection Response

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReproHealther

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to approach a school to inquire about the reasons for a PhD rejection? I will be completing my MSc this coming year and then will reapply but would still love to know other things to make my PhD reapplication stronger. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Attention: Admissions Committee

Thank-you for taking the time to review my application for (program, degree,etc) for the application cycle of 2008. I appreciate that difficult decisions must be made and sincerely regreat not being able to join your department in Fall 2008. Nonetheless, I am still committed to PhD studies in ---- at your institution for the following reasons: 1) Briefly say why you are qualified 2) Briefly Say why you want to pursue this degree and program & what you plan to do with it and 3) why them (Kiss their asses)?.

As such, I would be grateful if you are able to identify specific aspects of my application which were noticeably lacking, so that I can improve upon them for the next application cycle, when I plan to apply for -------

Respectfully,
reproheather

I would directly phone the director of the PhD program you are interested in (e.g. Epidemiology); this information should be on the department's website. The director is definitely on the admissions committee and will know your application in detail. Ask them what they would recommend to improve on your application for next year, you may be surprised. e.g., I was told at one university that I did have a very competitive application but due to funding constraints they could only admit a single person as they only take students that they can fully fund.

All of the directors I spoke to are also student advisors for their department and are used to helping current or potential students achieve their goals. I used this approach and have gotten extremely helpful feedback.

HTH

Members don't see this ad :)