Rejection Thread (If you are depressed, please avoid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the request of several posters, I have started the official rejection thread. If you have received an official rejection, please post it here along with the method (email, mail, phone, etc.) and I will post it here so people know exactly where they stand.

Good luck and remember that rejection never has to be the final outcome. I should know, I was rejected from my dream school, transferred in, and will graduate from there in a few months :). If you read this thread please keep that in mind and know that oftentimes rejection isn't personal, and it may not have anything to do with you!

Official Rejections:
(updated 3/18/07, maybe last update...sorry about how bad I have been!)

Auburn University
Boston College Applied Developmental Education
Central Michigan
Columbia
CUNY
Drexel University
Duke
Duquesne University
Eastern Michigan
Emory
Fairleigh Dickinson
Florida
Fordham
George Mason
George Washington Psy.D (website)
Georgia State
Idaho State
Louisiana State University
Loyola University-Chicago (mail around 1/30)
Loyola University-Maryland
Miami of Ohio
Michigan State (edit negative comment as peace offering with Misskatie :))
North Texas
Northwestern (online)
NYU Counseling and Social
Ohio State
Penn State (late Jan letter)
Penn State School Psych
Rutgers PhD and PsyD
SDSU-UCSD Joint Doctoral
Simon Fraser
Suffolk University
SUNY Stony Brook
Texas A&M (mail 1/27)
Texas Tech University
University of Alabama
University of Arizona
University of California-Berkeley (letter)
University of California-Los Angeles (email)
University of California-Santa Barbara (school psych)
University of Colorado-Boulder (email)
University of Colorado-Colorado Springs (email post interview)
University of Denver Clinical (mail 2/17)
University of Florida
University of Georgia (email around 1/15)
University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign (mail around 1/30)
University of Iowa (clinical)
University of Kentucky (letter)
University of Louisville
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
University of Massachusetts at Boston
University of Miami
University of Michigan (letter around 2/5)
University of Minnesota (online)
University of Missouri-St. Louis
University of Nebraska-Lincoln (letter)
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
University of Oregon Counseling (letter)
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh (though one has come back from the dead so to speak)
University of Rochester
University of South Dakota (mail)
University of Tennessee
University of Texas
UT Southwestern Medical Center
University of Tulsa
University of Vermont
University of Washington
University of Virginia (not Curry, mail around 2/5)
University of Wisconsin Counseling
University of Wyoming
Virginia Consortium of Psychology
Virginia Tech
Washington University in St. Louis
West Virginia University
Yale University (email)

Members don't see this ad.

I recieved this official rejection letter in the mail last week maybe?? Well anyway that is my first official rejection. Although i can assume more i will keep it to the official.:(

Members don't see this ad :)
U Illinois- Urbana Champaign- mail around 1/30
U Georgia- email around 1/15
U Michigan- mail 2/5
U Virginia (not the curry one)- mail 2/5

OH WELL!

EDIT- all clinical PhD programs

I received a letter in the mail pronouncing their disinterest in me for the Clinical PhD program.

Texas A&M University (Counseling Psych): Postal mail // Rec'vd January 27th

University of Colorado Boulder
Yale
Northwestern (Evanston)

All via e-mail, all last week.

I received a rejection letter from Loyola about a week ago in the mail. :(

I received a letter in the mail pronouncing their disinterest in me for the Clinical PhD program.

Great phrase.

It really does suck, but everyone needs to remind themselves that not only are they competing against a very accomplished group of people, but the vast majority of THAT group are going to be rejected.

-t

Woo hoo! Another place I can list the programs I've rejected . . . because they rejected me first. :D

Clinical:
- Univ of Georgia (email claims it's unofficial but might as well be official)
- Yale (online)
- Northwestern Illinois-Evanston (online)
- Univ of Nebraska-Lincoln (letter)

Counseling:
- Univ of Kentucky (letter)

I have plenty of others I have not heard from that I assume are rejects since others have received invitations to them within the last few weeks. But, I shall leave those out until I receive my 'official' rejection status from the program.

Post-interview rejection from Tulsa. A bumer that I spent time, energy and money on something that didn't work out, but it was a grat expereince. I just hope my other schools work out.

I got a phone call over the weekend from the Master's M.S. program in Psychology at Drexel University in Philly. The secretary, who was very nice b.t.w., informed me that the clinical PhD program had already sent out invitations but that I was invited to interview for the master's program. So, a little silver lining? --not really, the master's track is not funded and doesn't guarantee access to a doctoral program.

I got a nice letter in the mail from University of Kentucky (Clinical) rejecting me. Ah well. At least I got it when I came back from an interview this weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
How were the Georgia rejects given? By e-mail? I applied there but have not heard a peep ... I'm assuming this a rejection but why haven't I gotten anything? Maybe I'm blocking it out???

How were the Georgia rejects given? By e-mail? I applied there but have not heard a peep ... I'm assuming this a rejection but why haven't I gotten anything? Maybe I'm blocking it out???

Yep, I received an email from them towards the beginning of January. I believe the subject line was along the lines of "interview status". We're not inviting you to interview. We usually accept students who we interview. Soooo, you can likely conclude that we will not accept you. BUT, do not consider this official until we send you a letter later telling you that we really don't want you . . . or something along those lines.

Have you checked your status online? I never checked mine for an update since I received the email but I would assume it would be indicated there.

Has anyone gotten a post-interview rejection?

Also, those who haven't heard anything from UGA, check your spam filters. The email I got from them was filtered as spam, even though I have an email account on the same system.

can we have some clarification re: umich?? are rejections emails/snail mail? i checked by status on the wolverine thing and nothing new was there..should i be checking wolverine or the app website?

thanks..

my u michigan rejection came snail mail today (2/5).

I hope i dont have a small envelope waiting for me at home from michigan. :confused:

importnat message re evanston - i never got mail (email or snail) with my status update..i just checked the app and the rejection letter was waiting for me! :)..be sure to check ur app if ur waiting

importnat message re evanston - i never got mail (email or snail) with my status update..i just checked the app and the rejection letter was waiting for me! :)..be sure to check ur app if ur waiting

Evanston indicates that they will not send rejection letters/emails to individuals due to the large number of applicants. So, if you want your status, then you have to go online to check.

sadly, my first rejection came today. Michigan PhD program doesn't want me. ~tear~

sadly, my first rejection came today. Michigan PhD program doesn't want me. ~tear~

Awww, don't feel bad--they didn't want me a few years back either. :hug: Bastards getting your hopes up with interviews! j/k

Evanston indicates that they will not send rejection letters/emails to individuals due to the large number of applicants. So, if you want your status, then you have to go online to check.

yep, i was just correcting those who said it was emailed

Has anyone gotten a post-interview rejection?

blindblonde received one from UTulsa today.

Yeah, I guess I'm the first post-interview reject. I guess I get a cookie? :cool:

Yeah, I was shocked and hurt (I mean, not even wait listed), but I did have rough competition. There were 21 people at the interview and about half of us were competing for two spots--one spot for each of the trauma research labs. I also felt really young since I'm coming straight from undergrad, getting my BA in May. It sucks, but the fact that I have two other interviews coming up does console me a bit. I count myself lucky and I wish the best for the rest of you guys still waiting for offers.

Yeah, I guess I'm the first post-interview reject. I guess I get a cookie? :cool:

Yeah, I was shocked and hurt (I mean, not even wait listed), but I did have rough competition. There were 21 people at the interview and about half of us were competing for two spots--one spot for each of the trauma research labs. I also felt really young since I'm coming straight from undergrad, getting my BA in May. It sucks, but the fact that I have two other interviews coming up does console me a bit. I count myself lucky and I wish the best for the rest of you guys still waiting for offers.

That's rough. I always assume that I'm likely to get in somewhere once I've received the interview but then I review the number of interviewees and start doubting myself . . . particularly since there are oftentimes others who do have tons of research experience, publications, etc. I found it amazing during my last round the number of individuals who had so much behind them compared to me, so many who had their BAs behind them AND years of research experience beyond their undergrad. It can be daunting and I believe I probably allowed it to affect my confidence at that time. However, I now know what to expect (especially from the ones who like to play mindgames with you), so I will not be swayed by these other over-qualified individuals! :D

That's rough. I always assume that I'm likely to get in somewhere once I've received the interview but then I review the number of interviewees and start doubting myself . . . particularly since there are oftentimes others who do have tons of research experience, publications, etc. I found it amazing during my last round the number of individuals who had so much behind them compared to me, so many who had their BAs behind them AND years of research experience beyond their undergrad. It can be daunting and I believe I probably allowed it to affect my confidence at that time. However, I now know what to expect (especially from the ones who like to play mindgames with you), so I will not be swayed by these other over-qualified individuals! :D

Any hints on the mindgames? I am trying to go in with the outlook that they obviously liked me enough to offer me an interivew, so they are very interested in me and I have a shot. For that reason, I don't care (in theory) what qualifications other people have, mine must be pretty darn good for how young I am or I wouldn't be there. Perhaps it is just the Kool-Aid but that is what I am drinking :)

Any hints on the mindgames? I am trying to go in with the outlook that they obviously liked me enough to offer me an interivew, so they are very interested in me and I have a shot. For that reason, I don't care (in theory) what qualifications other people have, mine must be pretty darn good for how young I am or I wouldn't be there. Perhaps it is just the Kool-Aid but that is what I am drinking :)

For my experience, we really didn't have mindgames going on. The atmosphere was not really competitive, and we were all nervous together. Perhaps that was a unique feature the department tried to establish at the beginning of the day. We only had individual interviews. In between interviews, we all sat in this conference room with some current students, chit-chatting and such. There really was not much to be gained through competition except making yourself look like an idiot, especially with the current students watching you as well.

You'll be fine irish. In general, the professors will empathize with the stressful experience you are in. As for the competition, just block it out and remember that you're there for a reason. Easier said than done, but it is what you have to do.

Yeah, what blindblonde said. Mindgames aren't present at all places but unfortunately they were at one particular program I interviewed at--it was extremely competitive, and I seemed to get that vibe not only from the applicants but from the current students as well. One of my profs actually worked there for a while and he claimed that the faculty got into it just as much. Very, very odd . . .

I've chatted with some students and profs from both programs that I currently have interviews to and I don't believe I'll have that problem at either of them. They seem to be very cooperative and non-competitive which is just fine with me. I have no problems with competition, but I do have problems with others trying to sabotage my work or screw me over in any other way for ANY reason.

Sorry if I made anyone paranoid! Hopefully no one else has a bad experience. Now I shall keep my mouth shut about past happenings so no one sees things that may not be there. I'm simply glad that I'm familiar with the process this time around, so I can handle them better IF they were to occur again.

Just be confident (not arrogant!), take everything in stride, and you should do just fine. :luck:

It's official - I will not be freezing in Minnesota this time next year. Is anyone else peeved by schools that can't bother to spend the postage required to snail mail the letter? Eh, don't want to encourage paper waste but still, it's a blow.

The mindgames conversation has been really helpful for me. I've been feeling some competition/mindgames from other applicants that I know, so I was really concerned that these interview weekends would be even worse. I know we are all trying to get those few select spots, but it seems like extreme mindgames will only make the process more anxiety provoking!

It's official - I will not be freezing in Minnesota this time next year. Is anyone else peeved by schools that can't bother to spend the postage required to snail mail the letter? Eh, don't want to encourage paper waste but still, it's a blow.

The mindgames conversation has been really helpful for me. I've been feeling some competition/mindgames from other applicants that I know, so I was really concerned that these interview weekends would be even worse. I know we are all trying to get those few select spots, but it seems like extreme mindgames will only make the process more anxiety provoking!

I'm more peeved at the programs that don't bother to inform applicants of their interview staus or of anything else until the very end of the process. And, for the record, I would rather have notice online/email so I can get to it sooner. Personal preference perhaps.

Is your app to UMinnesota for clinical? If so, I'm assuming by your post that they have updated your status online? I'm still trying to determine the status of their counseling invites as they're 1 of the 3 counseling programs I applied to . . . In the grand scheme of things, they are 'lower' in preference than most of my others but I'd still like to hear from them!

I'm more peeved at the programs that don't bother to inform applicants of their interview staus or of anything else until the very end of the process. And, for the record, I would rather have notice online/email so I can get to it sooner. Personal preference perhaps.

Is your app to UMinnesota for clinical? If so, I'm assuming by your post that they have updated your status online? I'm still trying to determine the status of their counseling invites as they're 1 of the 3 counseling programs I applied to . . . In the grand scheme of things, they are 'lower' in preference than most of my others but I'd still like to hear from them!

You're right - I'd prefer to know sooner rather than later, in fact, I really appreciated the email from Georgia.

My application was for the clinical program. I was sent an email telling me that a final decision had been made on my application, and once you log in to their system there was a link to the 'final deicison.'

Good luck!!

You're right - I'd prefer to know sooner rather than later, in fact, I really appreciated the email from Georgia.

My application was for the clinical program. I was sent an email telling me that a final decision had been made on my application, and once you log in to their system there was a link to the 'final deicison.'

Good luck!!

Grrr, I thought I could write them off but apparently I get to still play the "wait and see" game.

Oh, what fun!
It is to wait.
For a status post! :D

Thanks! And, I agree, the email from Georgia was extremely nice (even though it presented bad tidings) . . . I'll do the same thing if I get a reject from UMinnesota--think oh, well, at least I won't be freezing in the more northern climes. :cool:

Yeah, what blindblonde said. Mindgames aren't present at all places but unfortunately they were at one particular program I interviewed at--it was extremely competitive, and I seemed to get that vibe not only from the applicants but from the current students as well. One of my profs actually worked there for a while and he claimed that the faculty got into it just as much. Very, very odd . . .

I ran across a couple of those super-competitive schools during interviews last year and actually felt relieved when I received rejections from them. That environment engenders a positive experience only for the minority. And I am not in that minority :).

I ran across a couple of those super-competitive schools during interviews last year and actually felt relieved when I received rejections from them. That environment engenders a positive experience only for the minority. And I am not in that minority :).

Count me as a minority in this instance as well. Although many, many moons ago, I probably could have thrived quite happily in such an environment, I have no desire at this point to constantly watch my back for people trying to steal my work. I had it happen in my master's program the past year on a class project and that was enough to irk the heck out of me! I do not wish to constantly go through the same thing.

But, if I recall correctly, you mentioned in a previous post that Kansas does not seem to have these issues. Right?

Good luck!!

That's bizarre, they haven't sent me one of those emails yet and there's no "final decision" link on my account.

So, they're not interviewing me, they're not accepting or rejecting me... I am now officially in limbo! hahaha :cool:

That's bizarre, they haven't sent me one of those emails yet and there's no "final decision" link on my account.

So, they're not interviewing me, they're not accepting or rejecting me... I am now officially in limbo! hahaha :cool:

You & me both. I called earlier and was advised that all interviews had been extended for all programs. Yet I have no email, no letter, and no update online. Strange people. Of course, I remember them taking a long time to update a few years ago, too.

You & me both. I called earlier and was advised that all interviews had been extended for all programs. Yet I have no email, no letter, and no update online. Strange people. Of course, I remember them taking a long time to update a few years ago, too.

My advisor keeps telling me that no news could mean a waitlist. But that seems odd to have a waitlist for interviews. lol

Ah well, waiting builds character! ... or something

My advisor keeps telling me that no news could mean a waitlist. But that seems odd to have a waitlist for interviews. lol

Ah well, waiting builds character! ... or something

"Or something" is right! :smuggrin:

I think I recall someone indicating they were doing phone interviews, so I suppose they could be waiting to reject some people until they receive acceptances from these people before rejecting other back-up students?

*currently building character*

"Or something" is right! :smuggrin:

I think I recall someone indicating they were doing phone interviews, so I suppose they could be waiting to reject some people until they receive acceptances from these people before rejecting other back-up students?

*currently building character*

We're going to have so much character, we'll have no choice but to go on Oprah after this!

I wish I wasn't stuck at school until 4... I'm desperate to check my mailbox (which is odd since it would just be rejections) haha

We're going to have so much character, we'll have no choice but to go on Oprah after this!

I wish I wasn't stuck at school until 4... I'm desperate to check my mailbox (which is odd since it would just be rejections) haha

y'never know, it could be an invite! I previously assumed my mailbox was safe to check this early because rejections were sent out much later (in my past experience), but I now know otherwise. :eek:

y'never know, it could be an invite! I previously assumed my mailbox was safe to check this early because rejections were sent out much later (in my past experience), but I now know otherwise. :eek:

I think this is payback for all the times that I whined about not getting mail as a child.

I opened two fortune cookies last night and they both said "be careful what you wish for, you might get it" so then I was worried 'cause my cookie seemed to be threatening me about grad school. haha.

I think this is payback for all the times that I whined about not getting mail as a child.

I opened two fortune cookies last night and they both said "be careful what you wish for, you might get it" so then I was worried 'cause my cookie seemed to be threatening me about grad school. haha.

:laugh: Okay, the fortune cookies really made me laugh. M'thinks I will stay away from chinese food for a while now.

I just wanted to cheer up the rejection thread with a true story of my application process to grad school.

I applied to about 8 programs and was rejected outright by 2. I received these rejections pretty early on (end of Jan, beg of Feb). One program was a longshot, but the other was high on my list and I thought a good fit with my POI. So I grieve and move on. I am lucky enough to get 6 interviews and 4 offers by mid march. So I am thrilled as I start figuring out which choice is best for me. Then out of nowhere, I receive a call from the program that rejected me. Apparently they accidentally placed my folder on the rejected pile. I drove out to the program for an interview with my POI and received an offer the following week. To this day in my office next to my framed doctorate from this program, is a framed rejection letter from the same program. Never say never.

I just wanted to cheer up the rejection thread with a true story of my application process to grad school.

I applied to about 8 programs and was rejected outright by 2. I received these rejections pretty early on (end of Jan, beg of Feb). One program was a longshot, but the other was high on my list and I thought a good fit with my POI. So I grieve and move on. I am lucky enough to get 6 interviews and 4 offers by mid march. So I am thrilled as I start figuring out which choice is best for me. Then out of nowhere, I receive a call from the program that rejected me. Apparently they accidentally placed my folder on the rejected pile. I drove out to the program for an interview with my POI and received an offer the following week. To this day in my office next to my framed doctorate from this program, is a framed rejection letter from the same program. Never say never.

That's a nice happy story! I like to have hope. I'm kinda like Pandora that way.

That is pretty awesome!

And I've actually had similar paranoid thoughts already--what if they lost my app? what if they placed it in the wrong pile? eeks! :eek:

We've all still got a few months to go, so I suppose we should all just relax (or try) and see what happens in April.

Speaking of which, anyone considering a review of the list released by APA after April 15th (that shows which programs still have openings)? I've never looked at it in the past so unsure the 'quality' of the programs that end up on it, and even more unsure I'd apply to a program if it wasn't already on my current list.

That is pretty awesome!

And I've actually had similar paranoid thoughts already--what if they lost my app? what if they placed it in the wrong pile? eeks! :eek:

We've all still got a few months to go, so I suppose we should all just relax (or try) and see what happens in April.

Speaking of which, anyone considering a review of the list released by APA after April 15th (that shows which programs still have openings)? I've never looked at it in the past so unsure the 'quality' of the programs that end up on it, and even more unsure I'd apply to a program if it wasn't already on my current list.

I think I'll at least look at it... if only to see which programs end up on there for my own curiosity.

I have those crazy thoughts too. Since my application was coming from here in Canada, most schools needed a statement of finances from my bank. So I'm all paranoid that the bank lady and I did something wrong even though we went over it a billion times. I guess that's easier to take than being rejected because of lack of credentials though :laugh:

I think I'll at least look at it... if only to see which programs end up on there for my own curiosity.

I have those crazy thoughts too. Since my application was coming from here in Canada, most schools needed a statement of finances from my bank. So I'm all paranoid that the bank lady and I did something wrong even though we went over it a billion times. I guess that's easier to take than being rejected because of lack of credentials though :laugh:

hehe, horrible thought--but I'd hate to see a program I applied to on that list.:scared:

Dr. JT, I thought your story was awesome! I think, unfortunately, that many of us would consider ourselves lucky if we got just one decent offer- but thank you for reminding us that it ain't over til it's over!

For those of you posting about the programs with spaces still in them after April 15th, here is a little clarification. These are graduate school openings in non-clinical programs:
"...'Graduate School Opening List.' This document contains a list of the programs in psychology that still have openings for students in the fall. Although there are no clinical or counseling doctoral programs and only a few nonclinical doctoral programs on the list, you may find other programs of interest to you." (Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs to Clinical and Counseling Psychology 2006/2007 Edition, p. 106).

A professor of mine suggested an experimental master's after I didn't get in last year because I don't have any research that's been published or presented. There are applicants on another thread talking about applying for research assistant positions at universities or medical schools in the interim of applying again, which could be a good move for some. Hope this helps!