Rejection Thread (If you are depressed, please avoid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You really should check and make sure they sent you the right letter. The wrong letter thing happened to me.

Yeah, you're right, I should check. It would be nice to know what the real reason for rejection was.

Members don't see this ad.

still waiting for five rejections. you would think a bunch of psychologists would be a bit more sensitive to these things...

So, I finally got my UBC rejection in the mail, and Alabama decided to reject me again today. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
woo hoo! Finally got my rejection from UT-Austin. Of course, I'm still unsure as to whether they even reviewed my application since the on-line status indicated materials were missing (that were submitted ONLINE) but the support people indicated they were definitely there. Even more whacky since I know a number of people who received their rejections a few months ago. Ah, well.

received official rejection letters from UMass Boston and Northwestern Feinberg, despite the fact that I received email rejections from them weeks ago....

Got a snail mail rejection from BGSU today. It's about time! They never interviewed me or anything: I wonder what the point of waiting so long was?

Same here, except I STILL haven't heard anything from them - aside from the email in January that said my application had been received. Very bizarre. I guess I'll wait until after April 15th to email my POI and ask what's up. I'm not sure how to do that without sounding grumpy. Which I am.

Same here, except I STILL haven't heard anything from them - aside from the email in January that said my application had been received. Very bizarre. I guess I'll wait until after April 15th to email my POI and ask what's up. I'm not sure how to do that without sounding grumpy. Which I am.

that made me LOL. In a just world, you could just say: "wtf?" :rolleyes:

I finally got a rejection from Purdue's PhD. program. It came on saturday, so I had pretty much already written the school off as a no go. No surprise there. Wish they had sent it a bit earlier though...:beat:

haha, I just got a rejection letter from U Montana. I was set up for an interview there (and the prof prettymuch said I was in during my phone interview) but I withdrew my application when I got into my first choice school. THEY sent ME a rejection letter :confused:?? I should have sent them one first :laugh:

The letter looked like it was mostly a form letter, and then at the end it said "the selection committee has asked me to convery our hope that your future career and projects go well." hahaha

Finally received my rejection from Western Michigan! I think this still leaves me with 3-4 outstanding though. :confused: I think that I stopped paying close attention when I received my desired acceptance.

Oh, yeah, and I received a rejection from the other program I was wait listed at as their initial offers were "finally all accepted". It took them long enough to figure that one out.

:laugh: Yeah I've yet to hear from NM or UIC. I tried calling NM because if I was on a waitlist there I would have held off on accepting my offer from the other school, but they never returned my call.

I swear, some schools treat you like they're the crappy date who never calls back.

Check your application status online for UIC. Mine had a big,fat DENIED on it. I still have yet to recieve official rejections from 4 schools. You'd think after we paid all that money in application fees we could at least get the satisfaction of a letter.

Finally received my rejection from McGill in the mail

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your application status online for UIC. Mine had a big,fat DENIED on it. I still have yet to recieve official rejections from 4 schools. You'd think after we paid all that money in application fees we could at least get the satisfaction of a letter.

Thanks, I totally forgot that there was an online system. After searching my room for the login info, I have discovered that I too have been "denied". :laugh:

That's okay, I think the secretary pretty much scared me away from that school when I called to ask her a question a few months ago and she asked for my name, I gave it to her, she said "WHO?", I told her again, and she said "HUH? I can't spell that" while smacking her gum in my ear.

I was offered admission at URI , turned it down and later received a e-mail rejection. The e-mail was a mass e-mail with EVERYONE'S e-mail address (rather than bcc) included. They later sent out an apology e-mailing stating it was a mistake. So much for confidentiality...

I was offered admission at URI , turned it down and later received a e-mail rejection. The e-mail was a mass e-mail with EVERYONE'S e-mail address (rather than bcc) included. They later sent out an apology e-mailing stating it was a mistake. So much for confidentiality...

Ah, but they assured everyone that they are/were taking measures so it would never happen again. :rolleyes:

I was the person who pointed out their error to them.

They were not pleased with themselves! ;) But now, at least, I have my claim to fame.

I was the person who pointed out their error to them.

They were not pleased with themselves! ;) But now, at least, I have my claim to fame.

:thumbup: Great job! It was actually the first thing I noticed when I opened up the first email--WTF do they have everyone's email addresses listed?! Then, I saw the "apology" email and knew someone had already pointed it out to 'em . . . almost sent them an email about it anyway. :D Now I have to change my email address!

:thumbup: Great job! It was actually the first thing I noticed when I opened up the first email--WTF do they have everyone's email addresses listed?! Then, I saw the "apology" email and knew someone had already pointed it out to 'em . . . almost sent them an email about it anyway. :D Now I have to change my email address!

:laugh: Or you'll be stalked by those crazy grad school applicants?

My inbox is always so tragically empty, maybe I should post my email address on here just to see what fun things I get. haha

:laugh: Or you'll be stalked by those crazy grad school applicants?

My inbox is always so tragically empty, maybe I should post my email address on here just to see what fun things I get. haha

Hmm, there's an idea--"accidentally" (on purpose) posting my email so people will talk to me! ;) Maybe I'll get someone who for once doesn't want to talk about how to increase my penis size or how to get a degree based upon my life experience??

Hmm, there's an idea--"accidentally" (on purpose) posting my email so people will talk to me! ;) Maybe I'll get someone who for once doesn't want to talk about how to increase my penis size or how to get a degree based upon my life experience??

Hahaha! I'd love to get emails other than the ones regarding the tragic death of an African prince who had millions of dollars stored in a secret bank account who's family needs a co-signer to release the money. If you send us X amount of dollars and your bank account info we will give you 10% of the bank account contents!

What a deal! I seriously wonder about the people who fall for this scam :confused: !

Thanks, I totally forgot that there was an online system. After searching my room for the login info, I have discovered that I too have been "denied". :laugh:

That's okay, I think the secretary pretty much scared me away from that school when I called to ask her a question a few months ago and she asked for my name, I gave it to her, she said "WHO?", I told her again, and she said "HUH? I can't spell that" while smacking her gum in my ear.

The secretary was kinda mean to me too. Mean enough to make me cry actually (as if this process isnt stressful enough). Im glad its a happy rejection for both of us though. Best of luck to you!

Wow! I just received my third rejection letter from one program--and my second from another program. I suppose that they really, really don't want me there, eh? :laugh: It would seem reasonable to suggest that they do not want me to show up next semester. Perhaps they thought that I wouldn't get the point the first few times they sent it and would try to matriculate with the accepted bunch anyway? :D

Wow! I just received my third rejection letter from one program--and my second from another program. I suppose that they really, really don't want me there, eh? :laugh: It would seem reasonable to suggest that they do not want me to show up next semester. Perhaps they thought that I wouldn't get the point the first few times they sent it and would try to matriculate with the accepted bunch anyway? :D

:laugh: 'Bama rejected me three times, but on different coloured paper each time.

Maybe you sent them a letter like this?

Herbert A. Millington
Director - Graduate Admissions Committee
412A Clarkson Hall, Whitson University
College Hill, MA 34109

Dear Professor Millington,

Thank you for your letter of March 16. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a position in your department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite Whitson's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. I will matriculate this August and I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,
A. Job Applicant

:laugh:

Herbert A. Millington
College Hill, MA 34109

Thank you for your letter of March 16. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a position in your department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite Whitson's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. I will matriculate this August and I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,
A. Job Applicant

Thanks for this nononora! You made my day start with laughter! :D

This was the second to last school...UCSB officially updated my denied admission status. Sigh. Still waiting to hear from one waitlist school I have NO desire to attend. Blah.

Waterloo finally saw fit to reject me yesterday. I cried myself to sleep.

...Actually I just tossed it in the shredder and forgot about it until I saw this thread again.

York on the other hand, has not made a peep since the day I sent my app in. I'm considering flying up from Florida to attend the first day of classes, just to see what they say.

Herbert A. Millington
College Hill, MA 34109

. . .

Na, but I've thought about it a few times. :D

Yay! Finally rejected from York-- Ollie, check online, in case they've updated everyone's status at once.

BU finally sent me a rejection yesterday. Nice to know that I am informed ina timely manner. :D

haha I guess I'll be on the lookout for mine then. after that, i think i'm just waiting on one, since my last waitlist rejection came yesterday.

BU finally sent me a rejection yesterday. Nice to know that I am informed ina timely manner. :D

If you really want to get in to a PhD program, maybe you should "volunteer" in a POI lab and then apply for admission the next cycle. At my school (a very good clinical PhD program), that's how many students got in. Of course they still had to follow protocol (i.e., submit applications, etc) but everyone knew they were going to get in!.

If you really want to get in to a PhD program, maybe you should "volunteer" in a POI's lab and then apply for admission the next cycle. At my school (a very good clinical PhD program), that's how many students got in. Of course they still had to follow protocol (i.e., submit applications, etc) but everyone knew they were going to get in!.

Based on a joke I couldn't find the original of online; I can't take credit.

Herbert A. Millington
College Hill, MA 34109

Thank you for your letter of March 16. After careful consideration, I am happy to inform that I am accepting your formal rejection notice.

I have been fortunate this year to recieve a great many rejection offers, but your institution truely stands out. When I was narrowing down my choices for potential schools to apply to, yours was already on the bottom of this list. This position was further cemented during my time spent at your institution during interviews. Your miniscule and poorly funded facility is truly sub-standard and your faculty deeply depressed me with both their inattention and their demented inquiries into my personal life.

I am very happy to have received a letter of rejection from your instituion, and look forward to not attending in the Fall.

Best of luck with your other applicants, who I'm sure had no other choice or already live in the area.

Sincerely,
A. Job Applicant

Rejection from Kent State via email today--I've been expecting it. I sent them a personal statement for another program (oddly enough, the one I was accepted into ;) ). I attempted to contact them to straighten it out and sent a replacement but never heard back from them. I suspect they didn't care. Ah, well.

I was finally rejected by NM today! YAY! haha

Wasn't that the one you jumped through hoops at the last minute to send??

Suuuure was.

Ordinarily I'd be disappointed, but since I already accepted another offer since NM was dragging its butt, at least now I know I made the right choice.

Your son's sock is done by the way. :D I think I might try to give it thumbs later.

Suuuure was.

Ordinarily I'd be disappointed, but since I already accepted another offer since NM was dragging its butt, at least now I know I made the right choice.

Your son's sock is done by the way. :D I think I might try to give it thumbs later.

Socks with thumbs?!? :eek: Feet don't have thumbs!

Socks with thumbs?!? :eek: Feet don't have thumbs!

Hahaha you'll see. I think he turned out nice except his butt seam is a little messy. lol.

PM me your address and I'll send the little monster off tomorrow. He has three eyes. :D

Now I have to get to work on CheetahGirl's two-headed guy. lol

Rejection from Kent State via email today--I've been expecting it. I sent them a personal statement for another program (oddly enough, the one I was accepted into ;) ). I attempted to contact them to straighten it out and sent a replacement but never heard back from them. I suspect they didn't care. Ah, well.

Paramour, did you interview at Kent?

Finally got my rejection letter from Bowling Green State. And here I was, starting to think they'd forgotten all about me!
:smuggrin:

Finally got my rejection letter from Bowling Green State. And here I was, starting to think they'd forgotten all about me!
:smuggrin:

Wow, that was a bit delayed! Were you on their wait list?

Nope, not that I know of. If I wasn't accepted to another program I would have emailed to find out what the deal was.

Just got another rejection from George Washington U's PsyD. I already got an email titled Rejection, and just received an official mail rejection dated April 25 that was equally as charming. Something to the effect of....too many people, etc etc, "Many strong candidates have to be denied admission. This decision, therefore, may not reflect adversely upon your potential for graduate study at another institution." I'm glad they cleared that up, because for a second I thought maybe they could make a decision affecting my 4 offers of acceptance, especially the one that I accepted weeks ago.

They titled an e-mail "Rejection"? hahaha. Professional. Good that you have acceptances-- that just makes it funny.

They titled an e-mail "Rejection"? hahaha. Professional. Good that you have acceptances-- that just makes it funny.

Oh yes, that's how I had the suspicion it was not good news. Then, the email itself was a brief generic statement of "no thanks" with an attached Word document titled "Letter to rejected applicants.doc" that offered even more of an explanation of the fact that they were rejecting me. I guess in case I did not understand the Rejection part of it.

I suppose it is funny in a twisted kind of way. GW was one of my top choices until the...personality I guess, of the place completely turned me off on interview day, on Rejection email day, and even further with this newest rejection reminder (I guess to make sure you remembered THEY rejected you, just in case you had gotten over it).
:hardy: