Rejection Thread (If you are depressed, please avoid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to try and backtrack here...
clearly, when I say man, or dude, I'm implying that you're a girl...if you were a guy, I'd be using terms like...umm.....bro

ok that was a poor attempt

basically, I knew all along, i was just testing you

No worries, I did it with Serotonin. It happens to the best of us, I should know :). Just kidding, but I do know how that goes on message boards. I am also thankful that she passed the test!

Members don't see this ad.

I am really tired of receiving a graduate studies newsletter from a program that I was rejected . . . WTF?!

Rejected via mail. Nice paper though...to wipe my ass with!

HAHA Actually, RE: the above quotation, I have a true story.

One of my friends applied to Physician Assistant school two years ago (don't worry, she's about 3 months from finishing school--she got in). One of her rejections came in the mail right as we were heading out the door to go camping. She stuck the letter in her pocket, folded up, not thinking much about it. About 8 hours later she got up, in the middle of the night, to go to the bathroom. Being that we were camping, the only er, facilities, available were outhouses. She, unfortunately selected the outhouse with no toilet paper. Fumbling through her pockets for a piece of paper she found the rejection letter. Lacking other options, she, litterally, wiped her ass with said rejection. How is that for apropos?

HAHA

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to try and backtrack here...
clearly, when I say man, or dude, I'm implying that you're a girl...if you were a guy, I'd be using terms like...umm.....bro

ok that was a poor attempt

basically, I knew all along, i was just testing you

Oh, well now I completely understand. :laugh:

If you've accepted an offer somewhere and have withdrawn your application from schools where you have been waitlisted, there is no need to sit around and wait for the rejection letters to come from the schools you have yet to hear from. Withdraw your application from those schools too--even if you didn't even interview there. Don't give them the satisfaction of mailing you that rejection letter. Reject them first! :laugh:

Rejected from my number 1, Boston College. Sigh....Still waiting on Penn State and UVa but not holding my breath.

Ah well. I'm actually getting kind of psyched for what I can do this year to strengthen my application. Hopefully round 2 will be a little less crazy.

I just got an email from SDSU saying to check my admission status -- after 30 min of creating a password and account name I was rejected (not a suprise) but I would like them to put a stamp on a letter and mail it to me for my large application fee! -

So I just got an email rejecting me from PGSP-Stanford, but then it went on to say that they've passed on my application to the PhD program, and that I've been accepted there. This is extremely bizarre to me. I briefly looked into the program, but it doesn't seem to have the kind of opportunities associated with the PsyD program...argh.

Rejected from Kansas clinical child today. Snail mail. Boo! :(

I received another rejection e-mail from Ole Miss today. Apparentl the first one wasn't enough.

The first was sent by the psych department, and the second by the graduate school. In today's e-mail, they implied that I would receive official word in the mail as well. Come on people! I get the point!!

Blah...I just want this process to end.

Rejection finally showed up on Binghamton's website.

UNC was one of the schools I had been assuming rejection from, and I got in the mail what I THOUGHT was my official rejection letter (dated March 13th), but the second paragraph says this:

"The research interests within the Department of Psychology encompass a large number of subspecialties. However, the subspecialty in which you have expressed an interest as a basis for graduate work is not currently available within our graduate program."

Now...I e-mailed back and forth with my POI, who agreed we had matching research interests, and I put his name in my personal statement. Did other people's rejection letters say this paragraph? Do they just always say that? I'm so confused. And why did they take so long to send this to me? It's not even dated until March 13th, so it's not like they just had it in a to-be-sent pile long ago.

Turns out UNC sent me the wrong letter. Instead it was supposed to say something like I was in the top 75 applicants. I'd say that's a big difference. At least I know I have a decent shot next time around!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from School Psych, finally!

I'm still waiting around for mine! Was it via email or snail mail?? I'm still sorta bitter about that place, wish I could have at least had an interview and thus a reason to go out there and check it out!

I'm still waiting around for mine! Was it via email or snail mail?? I'm still sorta bitter about that place, wish I could have at least had an interview and thus a reason to go out there and check it out!

It was an email that said the letter was mailed on the 20th... I think I got the email because I was emailing them so much, not sure. But yeah, weird. They only accepted 6 people.

Finally got an official rejection email from CUNY. it was a competitive year etc.

still waiting for monday to hear from ADELPHI. wish me luck

Finally got an official rejection email from CUNY. it was a competitive year etc.

still waiting for monday to hear from ADELPHI. wish me luck

:luck: Lots of luck, Lakan!! :luck:

I got a snail mail rejection from Case Western the other day. Still haven't heard word-one from BGSU and VT. I know their interviews are over and done with and I'm sure I'm getting rejected - I will never understand why they take so long to send out letters, though.

UVA (not curry) finally updated their online system to reflect application status. An unsurprising rejection.

Recieved official rejection from FDU. I think my parents were more upset than I was...

Finally received my official rejection letter from Fordham. I didn't interview, so it wasn't exactly a surprise...

I also got an official rejection from Fordham the other day, although I did interview and got an email rejection from them about a month ago. It seems like these schools really feel the need to rub it in; it's not good enough to just send a rejection letter they need to reject us using every medium possible. What's next? Rejection text messages?

On another note, I was excited this weekend to find a big envelope from UConn in my mailboz, although it seemed a little strange since it was hand-addressed and didn't say anything about the psychology department on the outside. However, it was even stranger when I opened it and found an assignment that a current student, with the same name as me, must have written for a class! The only thing in the envelope was a four page essay about this girl's attempts to eat a balanced diet and record her food intake! It was graded, with comments from a professor, but it had nothing to do with psychology and despite the same-name situation was clearly not for me! I called the school this morning and they were like 'oh, it must have gotten sent to you accidentally, why don't you just mail it back to us?' I was also told that clin psych letters are going out later this week, which since I haven't heard anything from my POI is at this point probably means REJECTION.

I got my second rejection letter (snail mail) from them today. One from the department came a few weeks ago, and the one today was from admissions. As if I didn't get it the first time.

On another note, I was excited this weekend to find a big envelope from UConn in my mailboz, although it seemed a little strange since it was hand-addressed and didn't say anything about the psychology department on the outside. However, it was even stranger when I opened it and found an assignment that a current student, with the same name as me, must have written for a class! The only thing in the envelope was a four page essay about this girl's attempts to eat a balanced diet and record her food intake! It was graded, with comments from a professor, but it had nothing to do with psychology and despite the same-name situation was clearly not for me!
That is beyond weird...:confused:

Just got a rejection email from George Washington U. PsyD. Umm....I guess they like to keep things cold and simple? The email was titled "Rejection" and inside it said:
Thank you for your interest in PsyD at George Washington University.
Good luck in your academic pursuits.
Sincerely,
Office Staff

It also came with an equally charming attachment (titled Letter to rejected applicants.doc) that gave MUCH more detail with the same old, thanks for your interest, we accept a limited number of people, good luck, blahblahblah, etc.

:(

Just got a rejection email from George Washington U. PsyD. Umm....I guess they like to keep things cold and simple? The email was titled "Rejection"

Maybe their 'people' were on this site earlier and saw everyone post about how they should stamp an empty envelope with reject or send a blank rejection email so save the universities from writing bad, unsympathetic letters, and save us from reading them.

I didn't think that universities were actually that cold though :eek:

Sorry about your rejection though. That sucks.

I got my second rejection letter (snail mail) from them today. One from the department came a few weeks ago, and the one today was from admissions. As if I didn't get it the first time.

I got those two rejections as well :D. I always love it when universities feel the need to drive their point home. At least I know I they care enough to spend a whole 78 cents of my application fee on postage.

Against my better judgement, I will share a bit of my tale of woe from last year...I got a letter from Fordham that said not only was I rejected but that I was NOT permitted to even take a class in their graduate school of education as a special student. This was after completing my second masters degree at another school. :) Needless to say, I did not apply there again this year.

Rejected from the Clinical programs at USC (last Thursday) and University of British Columbia (today), both via small envelopes in the mail. I SO knew USC wasn't going to happen, but I had high hopes for UBC. Oh well. Five schools still in hiatus. Ugh.

Rejected from the Clinical programs at USC (last Thursday) and University of British Columbia (today), both via small envelopes in the mail. I SO knew USC wasn't going to happen, but I had high hopes for UBC. Oh well. Five schools still in hiatus. Ugh.

I applied to UBC as a "wouldn't it be great if..." application 'cause it's one of Canada's top schools. But I haven't heard from them yet. *bites fingernails*

Reject email from Concordia today. Was expecting it as I had called their secretary last week or so.

Sorry to hear that DuckyGirl. Good luck to you Raynee.

love how i havent received official rejections from majority of schools. not a word.:mad:

I was in the same boat for a lot of places until recently (not hearing a WORD). They are finally starting to trickle in it seems, I've heard back from everywhere but the schools in Canada, most of them came in last week or early this week.

My theory is that even after they interview they hold onto a few applications from qualified but not ideal candidates in case a LOT of people decide to go elsewhere. At least that is my way of making myself feel better since it would mean I was at least getting looked at:)

Just got a rejection email from George Washington U. PsyD. Umm....I guess they like to keep things cold and simple? The email was titled "Rejection" and inside it said:
Thank you for your interest in PsyD at George Washington University.
Good luck in your academic pursuits.
Sincerely,
Office Staff

It also came with an equally charming attachment (titled Letter to rejected applicants.doc) that gave MUCH more detail with the same old, thanks for your interest, we accept a limited number of people, good luck, blahblahblah, etc.

:(

I guess GW is doing all the schools at the same time. I just looked last night on their website and it said a decision on your application has been made.

However it did not say what the decision was and I have not heard anything from them yet. I'm assuming its a rejection, but I emailed the school just to be sure.

Against my better judgement, I will share a bit of my tale of woe from last year...I got a letter from Fordham that said not only was I rejected but that I was NOT permitted to even take a class in their graduate school of education as a special student. This was after completing my second masters degree at another school. :) Needless to say, I did not apply there again this year.

Haha aw that sucks....but good for you, for not re-applying...I also will not be re-applying to my "top choices" against the suggestions of others, because I figure that anyone who is rude to me doesn't deserve a second chance (maybe also because I don't want to put myself through a second round of rejections ;)). I was really going to send GW a reply saying something like....ummm why were you so rude? But it wouldn't change anything (they were really rude and confrontational to me at the interview also, for no known reason, it was really weird) and they would probably have no rational explanation available anyway. Obviously places like that are just trying to provoke us into turning into their future clients, since they have enough future clinicians lined up...but I am going to be strong, try to fight the numerous assaults to my self-esteem, and will NOT be seeking help from their graduates if I need a psychologist in the future. Jerks :p

Anyone else think we need to form some kind of "I got rejected from my favorite schools, in harsh ways but still am being guilted into expressing my happiness at being accepted somewhere" support group? :laugh:

Orrr maybe even some kind of system to set up where we can trade acceptances/rejections....since I've been accepted to places I feel are not a great fit, and other people I know were accepted at places I'd love to go to and they couldn't care less about...

Anyone else think we need to form some kind of "I got rejected from my favorite schools, in harsh ways but still am being guilted into expressing my happiness at being accepted somewhere" support group? :laugh:

Oh, the story I could tell! I can't though because I am hiding my secret identity! :rolleyes: Let's just say that I am riding a rollercoaster of:
"I want you."
"I don't want you."
"I changed my mind, I want you!"
"Nope, you're rejected!!!"

And all the while I say "thank you for the opportunity..."

I think that may be the definition of "putz!" :oops:

At this point, I am first alternate at a school I would really like to go to. I was one of only nine people that interviewed at this school; however, they did ask many more people and conducted phone interviews. I flew 1,000s and 1,000s of miles to get there (through a blizzard I might add) and I received an email stating....

Congratulations, your are our first alternate. We have extended offers to six individuals, four of which did not make it to the interview and two who did. We were very pleased with your interview and hope that you will leave full consideration to _ _ _ until April 15. I tell you this information because, usually people who do not show up for an in person interview have little interest in the program. So, your chances are good!
Sincerely,
Dr. _ _ _ _ _ _

P.S. I was really pulling for you, hang in there!

Okay, so I have been "hanging" for the past four weeks and emailing once a week since then, and everyone but two people have accepted the offer. Why are people who did not even bother to show up for the interview allowed acceptance, and what is up with accepting more people who did not show up for the interview than those that did?????? And, furthermore, if I am so great, why did I not get an acceptance the first go around? There is no need for the congrats, until I get a "your accepted to _ _ _!"

Does anyone empathize??????????????????????

No.

Sorry :( I received offers w/o an in-person interview. Sometimes life gets in the way, unfortunately, and you are not always able to fly. I don't think it's fair to punish people for that.

*ella

ps- I also feel that the email you received was somewhat inappropriate.

Hmm, this raises a lot of questions for me. First, why did so many people opt not to interview in person? And why do they offer so many positions to people who do not interview in person, especially if the program feels that people who interview over the phone are less likely to accept the offer? HMM...

My sense is that most schools strongly prefer people to interview in person, and that people who are seriously considering the school usually find a way to show up. But of course, no one should be punished for weather or other factors that are out of the applicants control that would make it difficult or impossible to get there.

I also agree with you and Ella-mental that the email in and of itself is a little strange and off-putting...

At this point, I am first alternate at a school I would really like to go to. I was one of only nine people that interviewed at this school; however, they did ask many more people and conducted phone interviews. I flew 1,000s and 1,000s of miles to get there (through a blizzard I might add) and I received an email stating....

Congratulations, your are our first alternate. We have extended offers to six individuals, four of which did not make it to the interview and two who did. We were very pleased with your interview and hope that you will leave full consideration to _ _ _ until April 15. I tell you this information because, usually people who do not show up for an in person interview have little interest in the program. So, your chances are good!
Sincerely,
Dr. _ _ _ _ _ _

P.S. I was really pulling for you, hang in there!

Okay, so I have been "hanging" for the past four weeks and emailing once a week since then, and everyone but two people have accepted the offer. Why are people who did not even bother to show up for the interview allowed acceptance, and what is up with accepting more people who did not show up for the interview than those that did?????? And, furthermore, if I am so great, why did I not get an acceptance the first go around? There is no need for the congrats, until I get a "your accepted to _ _ _!"

Does anyone empathize??????????????????????

Ohh that sucks. Yeah I'd be incredibly pissed if some place offered acceptance to people who couldn't find any time in the month or two-month span of interviews, to come for an interview, if I made that much effort to get there. I definitely understand feeling so frustrated at hearing about people getting accepted who you feel maybe didn't sacrifice as much as you did. But, congratulations on coming so close and still having a chance :luck:

Ohh that sucks. Yeah I'd be incredibly pissed if some place offered acceptance to people who couldn't find any time in the month or two-month span of interviews, to come for an interview, if I made that much effort to get there. I definitely understand feeling so frustrated at hearing about people getting accepted who you feel maybe didn't sacrifice as much as you did. But, congratulations on coming so close and still having a chance :luck:

I don't think it's fair to penalize people. I think it's incredibly difficult and rude to assume that your sacrifices are far greater than someone elses, including candidates who cannot make an interview. I agree that while it can be frustrating to see telephone-interview people accepted when you yourself flew, traveled, walked 50 miles in the snow barefoot, it's ridiculous to become irrate over it. I think what is probably the real issue, is that you did interview in person and didn't get the offer or were waitlisted. Like many of us, myself included, this has occured and it's a bitter pill to swallow, but it really just means that if they didn't like you enough, you probably would have been miserable there under their tutiledge.

Just remember this whole thing is one big game, and like any game it's better to play with poise and grace.

All my best,
*ella:luck:

:laugh:
Well there are a few things that could be said from all sides I'm sure but really, this is a rejection thread and someone is in a frustrating situation asking for empathy.

"No one is being irate on this side. Just making an observation with someone who is frustrated at the wait-list game they are in (although I am not personally in that situation but can empathize with people who are). This should not be viewed as a game, it is supposedly an admissions process based on qualifications, experience, and intelligence that pretty much determines all of our futures. Why bother posting just to say you do not empathize and to talk about how you are on the other side of this person's issue? I'd barely call that poise or grace."

I agree with you completely! As you said (before you edited) this is "an admissions process based on qualifications, experience, and intelligence." Exactly! NOT based on whether or not you are able to attend an interview.

I post because I can, simple enough. I think what makes this forum amazing is all the different view points.

Best of luck to you, I truly mean that.

*ella

Yeah I was going to drop this so I edited everything else out and just left it at what I posted. It just is not worth people commenting on things that were not directed at them. I am empathizing with someone who is on a waitlist who felt it is unfair that they attended an interview while others did not make the interview, for whatever reasons (as everyone's lives have been in the way throughout all this). Personally I can empathize being frustrated just because I interviewed with a school that I ended up really liking and the interview went pretty well, but I was not accepted "due to the limited # of spots" (about 10), etc etc. Haha same old thing, as if we did not all know that the number of applicants outnumber the spots available. The only thing that made it really frustrating was that I know of people who were not set on a PsyD, ending up with acceptances. This kind of lead me to really wonder what they said when asked the standard PsyD interview questions like, why did you choose a PsyD as opposed to a PhD, Masters, etc. Does anyone know of a way to elicit information from programs post-rejection about a real reason for rejection? Although I am not re-applying I would imagine that highly qualified rejected applicants need to know what areas to improve for the following year.

I never meant to sound like an unfeeling witch (sorry Raynee, but I didn't think I could say b****). One last thought and then I will shut-up and head to Happy Hour:

I would be reticent to say that we all have had smooth-sailing in this process. Ambiguous emails, bizarre talks with POIs, waitlists, rejection-no wait acceptance-whoops our bad rejection after all... all of these, most of these, some of these have happened to the majority of people on this board. I feel bad for member "TRU..." because it seems as though they could possibly be in the midst of a run-around. The email they received filled with mixed-messages and unecessary (and IMO inappropriate) information is a shame. That being said, we are all struggling to be admitted where we feel we should be, so to knock-down those who could not attend an interview, whom you yourself have never personally made the acquiantance of, seems a bit harsh to me. That's all. But maybe this hit home too much, hence my rant.

I wish everyone on here the very best of luck... you all know that!

*ella:luck: :luck:

I never meant to sound like an unfeeling witch (sorry Raynee, but I didn't think I could say b****).

Oh that's okay :cool: I don't have a monopoly on the term. :laugh:

And to respond to the person who is on a waitlist, I know it's really frustrating to have the waitlist blues, but who knows why some people couldn't attend interviews. Some of them were probably very valid excuses. Things also work out the way they're meant to. Maybe if they gave that person admission instead of you, it means that you wouldn't have been as ideal a fit, and therefore you probably wouldn't have even been as happy in that program.

I know optimism is annoying when things aren't going well, but it really will work out!

I think the email your POI sent you (I think it was your POI?) was just expressing encouragement, but in a more personal way than "please remain optimistic". Things don't translate well in emails all the time. He/she probably just wanted a nicer way to break the news that they weren't going to offer you admission right away.

Received last evening - Rejection from Indiana University - Bloomington

I'm starting get delirious at this point!
Rejected from Penn State Child Clinical Track yesterday by bloody mail!

I'm starting get delirious at this point!
Rejected from Penn State Child Clinical Track yesterday by bloody mail!

I got rejection letter from Penn State- Child Clinical Track yesterday too.:(