Relationships in dental schools...

Started by L8DYV
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

L8DYV said:
Is there enough time to have one? thanks guys!

no, only one night stands.


haha


No, it depends on what type of girl friend you have. Needy (you will get Cs in D school),Avg (this is what you want...1 hr on the phone daily and see her 3 times a week, you will get B's), Too Chill (she doesnt want to see you, so she cheats on you, and you get D's because you become depressed).

Or no girlfriend at all, but what is the fun in that. Girlfriends make life complicated, in a good way.


O ya, to be politicall correct, substitue she for he or girl for boy, or not if you swing that way...ha


I will start d school next year so, I dont know.
 
gator1210 said:
no, only one night stands.


haha


No, it depends on what type of girl friend you have. Needy (you will get Cs in D school),Avg (this is what you want...1 hr on the phone daily and see her 3 times a week, you will get B's), Too Chill (she doesnt want to see you, so she cheats on you, and you get D's because you become depressed).

Or no girlfriend at all, but what is the fun in that. Girlfriends make life complicated, in a good way.


O ya, to be politicall correct, substitue she for he or girl for boy, or not if you swing that way...ha


I will start d school next year so, I dont know.

hahahaha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
plenty of relationships and hook ups...some that don't make sense.
 
Id say theres really no point in keeping the relationship going unless you know you wanna marry that person. I mean, in the first month of school almost all relationships fell apart...especially Long Dist. ones. I tried the LD for about 2 years and just threw in the towel because it wasnt working for us.

Most people like to try it out for a while anyways. Your call.
 
Do most dental students date each other or do they try to meet someone outside their school (i.e. medical, law, business, etc.)?

I think it would be pretty ackward to date another dental student for a year and then breakup. I mean the two of you are always taking classes together and will see each other often...won't this be ackward especially if the relationship ended in a bad way?
 
i'll be starting d-school in the fall and my bf of 4 years is moving with me. I don't think I could do the long distance thing, and at this point, we definitely want to stay together. I think it just depends on your relationship and the circumstances. D school will be hard and I find it comforting that he will be with me during the tough times. Good Luck!
 
L8DYV said:
Is there enough time to have one? thanks guys!

Relationships in dental school 👎

Relationship with another dental student/dentist 👎

Relationship after dental school 👍

Relationship with someone who is NOT in the dental field 👍 :male dentists-players-"Car salesman personality" -all smiles, no substance/truth. 🙄 Not all, but at least a great number of the ones I have known. There are always exceptions...
 
Smilemaker100 said:
Relationships in dental school 👎

Relationship with another dental student/dentist 👎

Relationship after dental school 👍

Relationship with someone who is NOT in the dental field 👍 :male dentists-players-"Car salesman personality" -all smiles, no substance/truth. 🙄 Not all, but at least a great number of the ones I have known. There are always exceptions...

male dentists ===> players?? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??!?! 😱
 
L8DYV said:
male dentists ===> players?? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??!?! 😱

Let your eyes wander elsewhere - engineers, psychologists, pediatricians, research scientists, ... ANYTHING except male dentists! But that`s my opinion don`t take my word for it - you may find some exceptions. Trust me, I`ve given up on hooking up with anyone in the dental field and I think I`m better off !
 
Smilemaker100 said:
Let your eyes wander elsewhere - engineers, psychologists, pediatricians, research scientists, ... ANYTHING except male dentists! But that`s my opinion don`t take my word for it - you may find some exceptions. Trust me, I`ve given up on hooking up with anyone in the dental field and I think I`m better off !

Even the ugly ones? 😱
 
NoBraces said:
Even the ugly ones? 😱

There are some men who are beautiful to look at but don`t have much else going for them (BORING). When I was younger, I would have been impressed. Now that I am relatively older, I look more for caracter and substance (honesty, compassion, among other things). Looks mean a lot less to me. Sure, looks will initially attract me but it`s not enough to keep me hooked. I find that a lot of men who are good looking are very vain and treat women badly. Here is one chick who won`t get fooled ! 😛
 
Shania Twain wasn't impressed by Brad Pitt, rocket scientists, and guys with cars. 🙂

I wonder if I should have tried harder to find a dentist wife, it could result in significant cost savings when opening up a practice. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
L8DYV said:
male dentists ===> players?? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??!?! 😱


haha.. oh my. man.... just lost all hope for a sec there. ... 😛 networking will have to do.... but if I did meet someone great in dental school, that would be grand. *sigh*

props to those who got married while going to school. i guess adjustments are doable but man, just thinking about it overwhelms me..
 
Even ugly dental dudes can be players? Sweet! Too bad there's also a lot of gold diggers as I personally saw at a USC party... I tried my best to pretend I was a D4 dental student but they didn't believe me sadly adn went looking for real dentists.
 
Smilemaker100 said:
:male dentists-players-"Car salesman personality" -all smiles, no substance/truth. 🙄 Not all, but at least a great number of the ones I have known. There are always exceptions...

i'm sure that you probably had bad experiences w/ the male dentists you know.. but, this seems like a harsh generalization. there are gonna be these types of people in almost every profession.
 
Smilemaker100 said:
There are some men who are beautiful to look at but don`t have much else going for them (BORING). When I was younger, I would have been impressed. Now that I am relatively older, I look more for caracter and substance (honesty, compassion, among other thingsLARGE PORTFOLIO ). Looks mean a lot less to me. Sure, looks will initially attract me but it`s not enough to keep me hooked. I find that a lot of men who are good looking are very vain and treat women badly. Here is one chick who won`t get fooled ! 😛

edits
 
1FutureDDS said:

EDIT- large heart/empathy/romanticism/thoughtfullness/caring - something lacking among a great number of the arrogant minded men with D.M.D/D.D.S titles beside their name.

I'm making my own $. I don't need a man to support me.
 
food4thots said:
i'm sure that you probably had bad experiences w/ the male dentists you know.. but, this seems like a harsh generalization. there are gonna be these types of people in almost every profession.

Yes. Until I meet others who prove otherwise, I more or less stand by my opinion.
 
well.. you're making generalizations based on your OWN experiences..

i'm just stating that their title/profession does not dictate this.
 
food4thots said:
well.. you're making generalizations based on your OWN experiences..

i'm just stating that their title/profession does not dictate this.

Yes, I am. Don't I have a right to voice my own opinion here?

I think variety makes things a lot more interesting in a relationship.

I can't ever foresee myself coming back home to my husband to whine about how the margins for my crown prep were not perfect in the impression etc. Too much of the same thing makes life a bore! 🙄 That will definitely not happen to me!
 
Smilemaker100 said:
Yes, I am. Don't I have a right to voice my own opinion here?

I think variety makes things a lot more interesting in a relationship.

I can't ever foresee myself coming back home to my husband to whine about how the margins for my crown prep were not perfect in the impression etc. Too much of the same thing makes life a bore! 🙄 That will definitely not happen to me!

agreed..
 
You seem fiesty. I love fiesty women because they're strong minded and independent. Just saying. 😀 You are a burning fire that I am attracted to I guess. Okay I'll stop typing... damn you immunology midterm and 3 straight days of studying!
 
Smilemaker100 said:
EDIT- large heart/empathy/romanticism/thoughtfullness/caring - something lacking among a great number of the arrogant minded men with D.M.D/D.D.S titles beside their name.

I'm making my own $. I don't need a man to support me.[/QUOTE]

You go girl! 👍 🙂
 
i second that! 👍 😉
food4thots said:
i'm sure that you probably had bad experiences w/ the male dentists you know.. but, this seems like a harsh generalization. there are gonna be these types of people in almost every profession.
 
Smilemaker100 said:
Yes, I am. Don't I have a right to voice my own opinion here?

I think variety makes things a lot more interesting in a relationship.

I can't ever foresee myself coming back home to my husband to whine about how the margins for my crown prep were not perfect in the impression etc. Too much of the same thing makes life a bore! 🙄 That will definitely not happen to me!

i agree 110%! i think t hat kind of relationship would be so limiting!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Smilemaker, if you found yourself that man that you are in search of that has the big heart, romantic, passionate, caring, thoughtful, sincere, etc. but he waited tables at your local Chili's for a living would you be happy with that?
 
L8DYV said:
Smilemaker100 said:
EDIT- large heart/empathy/romanticism/thoughtfullness/caring - something lacking among a great number of the arrogant minded men with D.M.D/D.D.S titles beside their name.

I'm making my own $. I don't need a man to support me.[/QUOTE]

You go girl! 👍 🙂

Thanks. I don't like being dependent on anyone for any of my needs- including my emotional ones. 👍
 
MC Wiggles said:
Smilemaker, if you found yourself that man that you are in search of that has the big heart, romantic, passionate, caring, thoughtful, sincere, etc. but he waited tables at your local Chili's for a living would you be happy with that?

I guess there could be exceptions but I do prefer someone who has some sort of university education (even arts, literature or philosophy majors) or is at least self-educated. I have to watch out with the young boys looking for a sugar mama. 😛 :laugh:

Anyhow, let's stop making this thread personally targetted and answer the OP.
 
Smilemaker100 said:
I guess there could be exceptions but I do prefer someone who has some sort of university education (even arts, literature or philosophy majors) or is at least is self-educated.

And I want to date a caring, sincere, thoughtful, polite, patient supermodel.
 
Smilemaker100 said:
I guess there could be exceptions but I do prefer someone who has some sort of university education (even arts, literature or philosophy majors) or is at least is self-educated. I have to watch out with the young boys looking for a sugar mama. 😛 :laugh:

Anyhow, let's stop making this thread personally targetted and answer the OP.


If you chose someone with a liberal arts degree you might as well take the chap that works for chillis.. At least the chillis waiter can get you free food. :laugh:
 
MC Wiggles said:
And I want to date a caring, sincere, thoughtful, polite, patient supermodel.

let's add dumb, self-absorbed, drama queen, slutty, anorexic, druggie (those girls pop amphetamine pills like crazy to stay slim, snort cocaine - just think of Kate Moss) and alcoholic - whose career will plummet once she hits 30 and will need to be in psychotherapy for the rest of her life trying to figure out what to do with her life when no one wants to hire her.
 
Smilemaker, I applaud you for your desire to not settle for an unfulfilling relationship! We have a lot more freedom to choose our mates nowadays thankfully. No matter if you are a man seeking a woman or vice versa or other, there's always going to be those people who make you think "thank God i'm not stuck with THAT for the rest of my life" we all know these types whether from personal experience or vicariously through friends, etc. I'm personally in favor of dating someone who is on your level mentally and emotionally...and who can make you laugh even when you feel like crying (yes, it's cliched but it's also true). My boyfriend and I have that kind of relationship. 😍
To the OP, I won't start d-school until this fall, but I'm going to do my darndest to keep my relationship healthy and thriving even though I'm sure I will be stressed to the max. I honestly don't think I'd find anyone else who suits me as well as he does (nor am I looking). When you find real love, it's worth keeping. Plus I abhor the whole dating process :laugh: Do what feels comfortable for you, though. If you want something to work, just put in the effort, and que sera sera.
 
Smilemaker100 said:
let's add dumb, self-absorbed, drama queen, slutty, anorexic, druggie (those girls pop amphetamine pills like crazy to stay slim, snort cocaine - just think of Kate Moss) and alcoholic - whose career will plummet once she hits 30 and will need to be in psychotherapy for the rest of her life trying to figure out what to do with her life when no one wants to hire her.

my kinda woman... :laugh:
 
MC Wiggles said:
And I want to date a caring, sincere, thoughtful, polite, patient supermodel.


Do you enjoy walks on the beach too?? 😀
 
I agree with Leia05. I think starting a relationship in D1 and D2 would be horrific and horrible. I imagine very little time with friends let along enough time to have a meaningful relationship. I know how busy I have been with undergrad and I know dental school will be worse.

I was lucky enough to find someone in undergrad who was not only wonderful but completely supportive about how busy I was because his schedule was about as bad as mine. (The perks/problems of dating an engineer).

So we've decided to try and see what happens with long distance. Before I get flamed with the "they never work out," it's worth seeing what happens and we both know how busy both of us will be with me being a D1 and his being a engineering senior. We're well-established in our relationship to know what to expect with our careers, but we'll figure out compromises to be together.

Sorry about that tangent. :laugh: But I just remember how much time we had to spend together (back when free time existed!) to get to the point we are today. And the way people talk about d-school, I don't anticipate we'd have enough time to spend a meaningful amount of time with someone unless there was a previous relationship, it was long-distance, or you were *really* good with time management.

That's just my 10 cents. 😛 Everyone is different.
 
hockeydentist said:
my kinda woman... :laugh:

What's so funny? 😕 I was being serious - I was describing the supermodel stereotype. :meanie: :laugh: I've seen enough fashion TV episodes to arrive at my conclusions.
 
beannaithe said:
I agree with Leia05. I think starting a relationship in D1 and D2 would be horrific and horrible. I imagine very little time with friends let along enough time to have a meaningful relationship. I know how busy I have been with undergrad and I know dental school will be worse.

I was lucky enough to find someone in undergrad who was not only wonderful but completely supportive about how busy I was because his schedule was about as bad as mine. (The perks/problems of dating an engineer).

So we've decided to try and see what happens with long distance. Before I get flamed with the "they never work out," it's worth seeing what happens and we both know how busy both of us will be with me being a D1 and his being a engineering senior. We're well-established in our relationship to know what to expect with our careers, but we'll figure out compromises to be together.

Sorry about that tangent. :laugh: But I just remember how much time we had to spend together (back when free time existed!) to get to the point we are today. And the way people talk about d-school, I don't anticipate we'd have enough time to spend a meaningful amount of time with someone unless there was a previous relationship, it was long-distance, or you were *really* good with time management.

That's just my 10 cents. 😛 Everyone is different.

Aren't engineers wonderful boyfriends
😀 well...most of them...mine is...i'm glad you agree with me! and long distance isn't that bad...i'm in one now and it's working so have faith! :luck:
 
So let me ask....do any dental school hookups happen within the first week? You know, when all those orientation activities are occurring and you have the nightly bar/club social for overly-eager first years?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MC Wiggles said:
And I want to date a caring, sincere, thoughtful, polite, patient supermodel.

you forgot to include... chef/maid/massage therapist
 
MC Wiggles said:
So let me ask....do any dental school hookups happen within the first week? You know, when all those orientation activities are occurring and you have the nightly bar/club social for overly-eager first years?

I hope so..
 
MC Wiggles said:
So let me ask....do any dental school hookups happen within the first week? You know, when all those orientation activities are occurring and you have the nightly bar/club social for overly-eager first years?

That won't make the next 4 years awkward.... 😛 🙄
 
Why is a group of pre-dents arguing about something they have no idea about? The answer is simply you make time for whatever is important to you. Many of my classmates have gotten married, had kids, or maintained relationships over the past year. I've been happy with my girlfriend. Do we have as much time as we might like together? No, but it's not half as dramatic as you make it out to be.
 
Dukie said:
Why is a group of pre-dents arguing about something they have no idea about?

Who's arguing?

[ForestGumpvoice]I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is.[/ForestGumpvoice]