(relatively) Noninvasive method to repair brain damage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrshumMurshum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
The problem with this is not the delivery. They have the ability to inject stem cells into the brain already if I am remembering correctly. The problem is what those cells do when they get there. You brain isn't just a mass of neurons right next to each other talking only to the neurons adjacent to them. Different areas of the brain project to others. These connections are set up during development. SO the problem becomes not making more of a specific type of cell but making those cells connect to where they are supposed to which is much much harder.

Even if we are talking about neurons connecting with other neurons in a localized region once those old neurons are dead, in say the hippocampus, the connections they locally had are gone hence the memories they had are gone as well. You can't regrow memories.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with this is not the delivery. They have the ability to inject stem cells into the brain already if I am remembering correctly. The problem is what those cells do when they get there. You brain isn't just a mass of neurons right next to each other talking only to the neurons adjacent to them. Different areas of the brain project to others. These connections are set up during development. SO the problem becomes not making more of a specific type of cell but making those cells connect to where they are supposed to which is much much harder.

Even if we are talking about neurons connecting with other neurons in a localized region once those old neurons are dead, in say the hippocampus, the connections they locally had are gone hence the memories they had are gone as well. You can't regrow memories.

No, you can't regrow memories. In fact probably the result of such a therapy will be a very different ability gained than what was originally lost. But an ability gained is still better than nothing. Already in animal studies cognitive and functional abilities have been regained following stem cell implementation into damaged areas of their brain.

A human trial was conducted last decade involving transplantation of neurons into a man's brain with parkinsons disease. He had an almost complete recovery of all his motor symptoms despite not having a large injection of stem cells. (I believe it was a phase I trial.)

http://www.neurogeneration.com/pdf/Levesque-MS.pdf

Well yes, a big problem with stem cell implantation into human brains is that intracranial surgery still involves damage to the brain as well as a host of risks.

This method could eloquently bypass those risks.

Also neurons signal to stem cell neurons how to integrate into the network, so a lot of the work is done for the scientists, they just have to get the stem cells there.

No, you can't regrow memories. In fact probably the result of such a therapy will be a very different ability gained than what was originally lost. But an ability gained is still better than nothing. Already in animal studies cognitive and functional abilities have been regained following stem cell implementation into damaged areas of their brain.

A human trial was conducted last decade involving transplantation of neurons into a man's brain with parkinsons disease. He had an almost complete recovery of all his motor symptoms despite not having a large injection of stem cells. (I believe it was a phase I trial.)

http://www.neurogeneration.com/pdf/Levesque-MS.pdf

Well yes, a big problem with stem cell implantation into human brains is that intracranial surgery still involves damage to the brain as well as a host of risks.

This method could eloquently bypass those risks.

Also neurons signal to stem cell neurons how to integrate into the network, so a lot of the work is done for the scientists, they just have to get the stem cells there.

This is still damage to the brain. Anytime you break the blood brain barrier there is a risk.

And yes they may get some functionality back but imagine the other problems that will arise from that. Say you can restore full functionality back to an Alzheimer's patient. You will still need to teach that person almost (procedural memories remain and some emotional memories) everything over again. Remember we are talking about the elderly who aren't as durable as children are either.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic but the realities need to be addressed.