Religious EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njcaldwell

Mr. Banana-Grabber
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Out of Curiosity, what are adcoms stances on alot of time with Religious EC's. For instnace I am a Youth Pastor (10 hrs/week), Director of Campus ministry (4 hrs/week), College Mens Bible study leader (5 hrs/week)

Members don't see this ad.

If you've spent time doing it and its important to you should definitely go ahead and list it.

should not be a problem-- it's still good leadership/volunteering/etc.... and many/most schools have religious clubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
njcaldwell said:
Hey Guys,

Out of Curiosity, what are adcoms stances on alot of time with Religious EC's. For instnace I am a Youth Pastor (10 hrs/week), Director of Campus ministry (4 hrs/week), College Mens Bible study leader (5 hrs/week)
why no application to loma linda? aren't they like a christian med school? you'd get in for sure.

I agree with the consensus. You have spent a lot of time doing these EC's and I'm quite sure that they mean something to you. Definitely add them.

Also, physicians tend to be a conservative group in general. A lot of the docs I know are practicing at least some kind of religion (a good majority are Christian) and I can't imagine that a religious background/lifestyle hurts you.

I WOULD say that applying to a school like UCSF and saying that "My religion prohibits me from advancing stem cell research" might give you a little bit of a problem. So for your best shot- talk about it, but don't say anything too radical...

wht about if you were very active in bible studies but since have dropped them. Does those still count?

Depakote said:
There aren't that many Devout Athiest medical schools out there... most of them are pretty open to alternative (i.e. Christian) lifestyles.

I saw a thread a while back about having to give up caffeine to go there... is that correct and WTF?

jmart said:
wht about if you were very active in bible studies but since have dropped them.
It's cool. I dropped many bibles as an altar boy and nothing ever came from it. No biggie.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
I saw a thread a while back about having to give up caffeine to go there... is that correct and WTF?

Isn't it just you drink caffeine ON campus... I also remember something about not being allowed to eat meat on Loma Linda's campus either. Its only on campus thoiugh.. its not like they are going to install a webcam in your apartment.

RyanRyan said:
Isn't it just you drink caffeine ON campus... I also remember something about not being allowed to eat meat on Loma Linda's campus either. Its only on campus thoiugh..
If I'm not mistaken, it's their hospital as well. This can make rotations interesting...

If you were active and did a lot in any meaningful activity, it will be good to list.

From what I've heard about LLU. The caffeine thing is true. They don't allow it, but it's not like they are going to do random drug tests to check if you have caffeine. So yes, you are theoretically not allowed to do some stuff, but there is some leeway, esp if you don't flaunt it. Also, about their hospital, since they have people who aren't Seventh Day Adventists and people not trained by LLU who work there, they apparently allow you to bring in closed containers of coffee. They just don't have any coffee makers in the hospital and you can't be like lording it over people or whatever (ie. "Hey guys, check out my coffee. I'm so great."). But whatever, I've never been there...so maybe that's not how it works.

See, I love God and love Christ, but Im not sure if I want to go to a "Christian Medical School". Eh.... I love Coffee

njcaldwell said:
See, I love God and love Christ, but Im not sure if I want to go to a "Christian Medical School". Eh.... I love Coffee
Then why don't you go to one of them coffee-luvin' atheistic skools?!?

Im going to :) And Im gonna yell, I LOVE COFFE.

Then Im going to punch a random person in the face. Not because he did anything wrong, but I heard if you act a bad ass once you get there and make people thing you are scary then your less likely to get but raped at medical school. Or maybe that was prison? No matter, Ill do it just to be safe.

njcaldwell said:
Then Im going to punch a random person in the face. Not because he did anything wrong, but I heard if you act a bad ass once you get there and make people thing you are scary then your less likely to get but raped at medical school. Or maybe that was prison? No matter, Ill do it just to be safe.
That's why I'm bringing a shank...

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
... ... ... malpractice insurance must be high there. that's nuts.
They compensate with meth.

RyanRyan said:
Isn't it just you drink caffeine ON campus... I also remember something about not being allowed to eat meat on Loma Linda's campus either. Its only on campus thoiugh.. its not like they are going to install a webcam in your apartment.

Loma Linda is assocaited and run by the Seventh Day Adventists which are considered my much of mainstream Christianity to be a fringe group borderline cult even by some due to their views on old testament law observation.

MD-To Be said:
Loma Linda is assocaited and run by the Seventh Day Adventists which are considered my much of mainstream Christianity to be a fringe group borderline cult even by some due to their views on old testament law observation.
I'd question that. Many Christians think SDA is pretty out there, but many Christians think LDS is pretty out there, too. And there are those who think anyone who believes this god stuff are nuts.

I wouldn't take one religions opinion of another to take a whole lot of weight in and of itself. Asking one faith what they think of another is akin to asking a Yale grad what they think of Harvard.