Relocating to LA after graduation in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bracesforever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to dental schools this cycle and I received interviews from schools in NY and LA. I grew up in NYC and also attended undergrad in NYC, but there is a part of me that has always wished to live in LA. However, I am more drawn to the the dental school in NYC.

If I were to graduate from a dental school in NYC and I wish to practice immediately after graduation as a general dentist in LA, how hard would it be? Could anyone who had done this share your experiences? What are the pros and cons of relocating?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
One of the hardest parts of relocating for anybody is licensure. You need to make sure that you can take an exam in NY that is accepted in whatever state you want to practice in.

As mentioned above, when it comes time for licensing exams, make sure you're taking exams that are recognized in the state you wish to practice.

Another thing to consider is saturation. Large urban areas in general are challenging to practice in because there is a high dentist to population ratio, and LA is actually probably as bad as it gets in that regard. There are a ton of dentists in LA, which means that associate/corporate gigs are going to pay much less (<$500/day). Starting a practice will also be very challenging due to competition, higher rent costs, higher overhead, etc. Couple that with a moderate to high debt load and practicing in LA could be a financial struggle.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Best to go to the school in the state that you plan on practicing .... If possible. Much easier to network or do research prior to graduation on employment and/or practice purchase.

This seems like a recipe for accumulating debt and making a low income.

Reactions: 5 users
As mentioned above, when it comes time for licensing exams, make sure you're taking exams that are recognized in the state you wish to practice.

Another thing to consider is saturation. Large urban areas in general are challenging to practice in because there is a high dentist to population ratio, and LA is actually probably as bad as it gets in that regard. There are a ton of dentists in LA, which means that associate/corporate gigs are going to pay much less (<$500/day). Starting a practice will also be very challenging due to competition, higher rent costs, higher overhead, etc. Couple that with a moderate to high debt load and practicing in LA could be a financial struggle.
According to 2 of my GP friends who both have associate dentists working part time in their offices, none of the dentists who came for the job interviews would accept anything less than $550/day. So that's how much my friends have to pay their associates. One is in Orange county and the other one is in San Bernadino county.

The corp I work for also pays the associate dentists similar guaranteed daily rate for the first 6 months (or just 3 months? not sure on that) but after that 3-6 month tryout period, they start getting paid the percentage of the production (I believe it's 23%). Because there are a lot of HMO and medcaid patients, 23% of the production usually comes out to be a lot less than $550/day. And that's why there is high turn over of GPs at my corp office. The managing dentists usually stay a lot longer (the one who works with me has been here for 10+ years) because they are good and fast and they get to do all the high production and more challenging cases

I don't know why any dentist, especially a young dentist, would move to LA to practice (or for any reason, actually). You're not going to make much as a new dentist, and California, especially LA, is very expensive. Plus with all the glitz and glamour and focus on appearances, you're going to be struggling unless you can stand to live in a studio and eat ramen for a few years.

If you're going to move to california, I would highly suggest one of the IHS sites somewhere in the middle or northern regions. It's the exact opposite of LA but that's a good thing. Better pay, lower cost of living, and the people are more "real." Builds lots of character which will make you a much better dentist.

It better be Costco instant noodle too... because fresh ramen is too overpriced. Shops gouge you $20 after tax/tip for a tiny bottom bowl with a few strands of noodle and charchiu.

I applied to dental schools this cycle and I received interviews from schools in NY and LA. I grew up in NYC and also attended undergrad in NYC, but there is a part of me that has always wished to live in LA. However, I am more drawn to the the dental school in NYC.

If I were to graduate from a dental school in NYC and I wish to practice immediately after graduation as a general dentist in LA, how hard would it be? Could anyone who had done this share your experiences? What are the pros and cons of relocating?

Thank you.

You are better off working an 8-5 job doing retail then taking on huge debt and working in LA afterwards. Your net worth would technically be higher and you wouldn't be burdened by your student loan. Ultimate definition of broke millennial.

Thank you.
Presently, are you independently wealthy? Yes? No worries. Enjoy “Cali” and you can stop reading here. Not loaded? You’re setting yourself up to struggle financially for decades. Literally decades.

Do you understand what it will take to pay back that $600,000 to attend NYU? Your monthly payment will be around $4,500/month or $55,000/year. Of course, this is all after tax money. So...you’ll need to earn around $70,000/year just to cover your student loans. This is on top of all of life’s other expenses. And, you’ll be doing this for the next 20 years! This debt burden will be a serious challenge wherever you decide to practice, but you’re wanting to do so in probably the most saturated market and in an area with a ridiculous cost of living.

Good luck!

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users