Remediation of OPP - how bad will this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lopero3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year of medical school and passed/did well on all of my core science classes, but today I saw that my omm final exam didn't go as well as expected and that I will probably have to remediate my third trimester OPP class. I was only off by 1 % and LITERALLY just needed 2 more questions right on my 100 question final to pass. I'm not using it as an excuse but COVID definitely affected my schedule because I had to take care of a family member who normally receives daily help thru Medicaid(which was discontinued because of safety concerns). I am extremely sad and concerned about this and did not see it coming at all; I previously had a 80%+ average before the final, which was weighted very heavily.

If I pass remediation it will show up as a "RP" remediated pass on my transcript. How negatively will this influence my chances of landing a decent university IM residency, provided I have good scores for Steps, clinicals and 2nd year of med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd argue the impact is a lot smaller than you think, especially if you show general improvement and an upward trend. With solid Steps, I even doubt most university IM PDs will care you got a RP in OMM

Reactions: 2 users
I just finished my first year of medical school and passed/did well on all of my core science classes, but today I saw that my omm final exam didn't go as well as expected and that I will probably have to remediate my third trimester OPP class. I was only off by 1 % and LITERALLY just needed 2 more questions right on my 100 question final to pass. I'm not using it as an excuse but COVID definitely affected my schedule because I had to take care of a family member who normally receives daily help thru Medicaid(which was discontinued because of safety concerns). I am extremely sad and concerned about this and did not see it coming at all; I previously had a 80%+ average before the final, which was weighted very heavily.

If I pass remediation it will show up as a "RP" remediated pass on my transcript. How negatively will this influence my chances of landing a decent university IM residency, provided I have good scores for Steps, clinicals and 2nd year of med school?
No one cares bro, honestly if you do decently well on your steps and get some research you have a shot at univ IM, remediating OPP might actually give you bonus points cause it shows that you don’t give a **** about that pseudoscience lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To be frank, any remediation is a red flag.

But as others have said, not sure it's too big a deal if remains the only blip on your residency app.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above, any failed classes is not good. However, the silver lining is that you're re-mediating OMM, instead of a core science class such as Pathology.

Redeem yourself in 2nd year and ace COMLEX/USMLE and you will still have a fair shot.

A side question is will a university PD like a 220 with no failures better or a 240 with 1 or 2 failed classes.

Agree with the above, any failed classes is not good. However, the silver lining is that you're re-mediating OMM, instead of a core science class such as Pathology.

Redeem yourself in 2nd year and ace COMLEX/USMLE and you will still have a fair shot.

A side question is will a university PD like a 220 with no failures better or a 240 with 1 or 2 failed classes.
They'll take the 240

Speaking from experience, you will be just fine as long as this is a one off.

Reactions: 1 user
Speaking from experience, you will be just fine as long as this is a one off.
It looks bad if you want to match anything pretty competitive like surgery. Otherwise, it doesn’t matter too much. I’m guessing you don’t go to lab. If you don’t, start going like everyone else.

It looks bad if you want to match anything pretty competitive like surgery. Otherwise, it doesn’t matter too much. I’m guessing you don’t go to lab. If you don’t, start going like everyone else.
I’m a resident, so I don’t goto lab anymore. But for clarification, at some schools it is possible to fail OMM lab even if you go because your teacher is crazy and disagrees with your diagnosis when they ‘check’ in practicals. Also some OMM teachers deliberately make their questions unanswerable to try and prove that it’s a serious topic.

Both of those things happened at my former school, and I knew students who only remediated OMM and nothing else, they matched fine. Feel free to come and correct me with your horror stories of people not matching due to OMM remediation when you get there tho.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a resident, so I don’t goto lab anymore. But for clarification, at some schools it is possible to fail OMM lab even if you go because your teacher is crazy and disagrees with your diagnosis when they ‘check’ in practicals. Also some OMM teachers deliberately make their questions unanswerable to try and prove that it’s a serious topic.

Both of those things happened at my former school, and I knew students who only remediated OMM and nothing else, they matched fine. Feel free to come and correct me with your horror stories of people not matching due to OMM remediation when you get there tho.
Hey doc, I was referring to OP, not you so I'm sorry if you took that as a personal attack... you sure went on the defensive there. I'm sure they matched fine... but where did they match and what did they match into? I've been told by faculty that failing anything doesn't limit you too much unless you're going for something super competitive or in a super competitive place. In the scheme of things though I'm sure a one-off doesn't matter too much.

OMM at my school is taught pretty fair and there's not really any trick questions so it's odd to me that anyone would have to go through this. Every school is different I guess.

I'm glad you found success and redeemed yourself.

I failed something that was a bigger deal during first year. I’m IM and didn’t apply to anywhere super competitive (partly by choice, partly because I was geographically based for reasons, partly because I’m realistic) but had no shortage of interviews. You’re not going to be a dermatologist from Harvard but you probably wouldn’t have been anyway. Make sure it doesn’t happen again, but don’t stress it too much either.

Reactions: 1 users

PD at University Progam be saying what is OMM? is that a rock band?