Reminders: What to Pack for OOS Interviews.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
huge bump but for people staying at hotels etc the night before the interview, where do you leave your stuff the next day if you plan to fly out after the interview? most hotels have noon checkout, so you reserve an extra night just to leave your things in the room for a few hours??

Members don't see this ad.

huge bump but for people staying at hotels etc the night before the interview, where do you leave your stuff the next day if you plan to fly out after the interview? most hotels have noon checkout, so you reserve an extra night just to leave your things in the room for a few hours??

some hotels will lock your stuff in an office or keep it behind the desk for you if they know you're there for a med interview. Also, some schools have a place you can put your things.

When I was at my last interview, many people brought their luggage and left it in a room at the medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I once had a client who was "marginal" when it came to test scores and GPA. It was going to go either way, depending on Interview.

When she arrived, she said the building was so COLD, she could barely focus. Then, she remembered the non-wrinkle sweater I told her roll up and put in her satchel to wear over her dress, if need be. A quick trip to the ladies room before the interview started and she was ALL set!!

It is the small things that can sabotage your chances.

Oh, I am happy to report, "Dr. Sweater" is a 3rd year!

Be Prepared!!

is your suit considered carried on? or can you have your pursue, a carry on, and your suit with you without the carry on being checked?

I think it depends where you fly out of. Some are more lenient. If all else fails, stuff your purse in your carry-on. I've had to do that a couple times.

I really liked having a small pocket thing of listerine breath spray/strips. it wasn't so much for bad breath as i thought it helped me avoid dry mouth that I feared may happen should I be really nervous.

is your suit considered carried on? or can you have your pursue, a carry on, and your suit with you without the carry on being checked?
If you have a suit bag, it can be a carry on depending on how big it is and how nice the airline is (my was thin-ish but kinda wide, so it fit in the overhead but it took up like two spots). And if you can I would definitely try to carry it on, especially, if you have to change planes to get to your final destination.

True story, luckily I was on my way home from Columbus after an interview and stopped in some other city to change planes, somehow my checked luggage was sent back to Cleveland, OH when I was heading home to the southwest. It sucked, but it would have sucked more if it was my suit bag and I was my way on to the interview.

So if you want to carry the suit bag on pack it with the bare essentials, Suit, shirt, tie, socks, shoe, (and maybe a change of clothes), cause if worst comes to worst, you really don't need all that other stuff (You can buy toiletries in whatever new city And hotels and (if you have a nice host) would have soap and shampoo)

BTW I had a large bag like this: http://www.a-to-z-garment-bags.com/images/atlantic_garment_bag.jpg

Last edited:
I was too lazy to read through the thread so I don't know if anyone said this or not but: CHAPSTICK!!!!

I am a guy and don't normally use chapstick so I would've never thought to bring this. I realized how helpful it can be though after my first interview when, despite trying to keep calm, I still had a case of the nerves and my lips became very dry. Try having an interview when your lips are stuck together and you have to constantly lick them. Imagine what the interviewer's impression of me was. :laugh:

but is there anything specific paperwork of any kind I should bring maybe a copy of my interview conformation or something along those lines?

lol, why was this thread bumped?

if for some reason you go back in time, don't forget sandwiches.

Relatively trivial and irrelevant for 99.9% of men: makeup brushes.

I went on my first OOS interview recently and that was the one thing I did forget, which sucks when makeup is supposed to be polished yet subtle. Brushes are fantastic for ensuring that effect.

I thought it was useful and relevant, especially since we're in the throes of interview season right now.

I always put everything in a carry-on using one of those backpacker's backpacks. It's going to be interesting keeping the suit from wrinkling without a fancy suit bag.

-Pen in jacket pocket, but do not bring any other materials unless they explicitly tell you so. Otherwise you might just deluged with materials in addition to your own.
-Google maps of the nearby vicinity of where you're staying, including marked locations of drugstores (for toiletries as well as passport pictures for those you lost/forgot to bring) and restaurants.
-Loose change to pay for transit. Do not be the weirdo that thinks putting a VISA card through the dollar bill receiver will pay for your bus fare...lol
-A willingness to explore the area. I always try to book a red-eye so i can arrive in the morning to explore the place, check in at 3ish, sleep, interview next day and fly out. That way you see more than just the school.
-A lint roller
-A belt that doesn't suggest that you're a terrorist? (gawsh, TSA was like..."we think there is something hazardous in your bag. please follow me sir." *opens my bag* "Okay, what is this?" "Well, it's a banana republic belt that I got on sale for 12 bucks." "Oh okay. Let's put it through the scanner again." ...hm...fellas...putting a belt that is completely harmless is not going to anti-terrorify it...*sigh* I thought i was doing something good for myself by not wearing my belt and just putting it in my bags...guess not.

True. Make sure it has no fruity smell.

I was too lazy to read through the thread so I don't know if anyone said this or not but: CHAPSTICK!!!!

I am a guy and don't normally use chapstick so I would've never thought to bring this. I realized how helpful it can be though after my first interview when, despite trying to keep calm, I still had a case of the nerves and my lips became very dry. Try having an interview when your lips are stuck together and you have to constantly lick them. Imagine what the interviewer's impression of me was. :laugh:

I thought it was useful and relevant, especially since we're in the throes of interview season right now.

haha thanks. I tend to post on here the way I'm *supposed* to drive - defensively

suitcase full of nonsequential unmarked hundred dollar bills and a piece of paper with your AMCAS ID written on it, placed on top

Sorry, but I had to bump this. Hahaha :laugh:

So you carry the suit on board in a suit bag? Never seen that before.

You will get so mich **** these days if you think you can have a carry on for up above, and something below by your feet, and a suit bag (I got a way with it but I was prepared to put suit bag in carry on but didn't want wrinkles, you could wait till you are about to board to consolidate the two bags, then when you're on the gangplank take it out while people file past, once you get to the cabin it's too late for them to quibble about the suitbag and your carryon suitcase and your other bag)

Hand your suit in the bathroom while you shower to help with wrinkles

I got a suitbag on Amazon for cheap, it was GREAT
Also a bag for shoes, it has a divider inside so your leather shoes can't rub on each other and scuff them up, I didn't like the idea of my dress shoes with snow salt floating loose in my carry on suitcase

Be sure anything you *truly* need comes on the plane with you, don't gatecheck, none of that horse**** where they can lose your bag

Always have a professional appearing portfolio thingie (mine was $15) that will hold your own app for review (I forgot the year when I did X, made me look dumb but I can't memorize all my life details) as well as a pad of paper for you to jot things down, you'll look sharp when they ask you if you have questions and you open that thing full of handwritten intelligent q's and start taking notes)

Try to remember something specific about your interview with someone to refer to in your thank you note so it's less generic, I wrote mine right after interview, another reason to have the pad above for notes

They sell black safety pins, always good to have a few on you in a pocket if any buttons go

Neutrogena face soap is a bar so it doesn't count towards your liquid allocation on planes, look for anything you can get in dry form and add water like that for conservation, I stayed in some **** hotel that didn't have shampoo in the room and it was after hours, you can use bar soap in a pinch for hair, facewipes with make up remover for example won't count for liquid, Listerine strips, for example

You can get away with having toothpaste and chapstick and lipstick and masacara and stuff like that separate from your liquid bag and they won't catch in if it's thick like that, especially if it's scattered amongst your things

I bought a pad of concealer like Boing! since it didn't count as liquid, and it forced me to go light, you don't need a mask of liquid foundation day of

Go nuts with small containers to bring a pinch of this gel and that liquid if you needs lots of stuff like that, make sure it's in an extra bag and can't leak onto your suit

Neutrogena spot zit stuff in a small orange tube you really do see results from in less that 24 hrs, anything bothersome I could spot treat the night before interview

I did like 20 or so interviews in a month without ever coming home, I have some ideas on how to live on the road, PM me for other travel ideas

If you can keep some floss or toothpick or those little combo thingies +/- mirror on you to get any after continental breakfast/lunch out of your teeth, nothing like needing floss and having none

Definitely see to your oral hygeine and have breath mints, nothing like halitosis to make an impression

I also had every PRN you can imagine handy, nothing like overnight flu/cold/sore throat/diarrhea (I caught legit laryngitis on the plane, boy was I glad I had Theraflu, the office gave me hot water and thought I was a badass drinking that down interview day)

Just the more unusual things that came to mind

Check my post in a thread about what interns should have in a bag for other nicety ideas

Reactions: 1 users