Reminding LOR writers about deadlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heeyebsx3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I emailed my reference writers mid November and gave them a deadline of Dec 22nd. That's less than two weeks away and none of them have submitted a LOR to Phorcas yet.... how do I go about wording a reminder email to them?

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to PGY-1 I asked my letter writers in August, reminded them in October and November, after Midyear, and every 2 days until they submitted their letters. I got all three letters the day they were due.

I'd say maybe send an email at the 1-week mark, then 2-3 days after, up until you get your letters. You don't want to spam them with emails because I'm sure they know they have to write them. Letter writing takes time and everyone's busy, but I can definitely relate to waiting on letters when your entire application is ready.

I said something along the lines of "Hi, this is X, just checking in! Thank you for helping me apply for residencies by writing me a strong letter of recommendation. Just a reminder that my first program due date is December 22, which is X days away. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Thanks again!"

Applying to PGY-1 I asked my letter writers in August, reminded them in October and November, after Midyear, and every 2 days until they submitted their letters. I got all three letters the day they were due.

I'd say maybe send an email at the 1-week mark, then 2-3 days after, up until you get your letters. You don't want to spam them with emails because I'm sure they know they have to write them. Letter writing takes time and everyone's busy, but I can definitely relate to waiting on letters when your entire application is ready.

I said something along the lines of "Hi, this is X, just checking in! Thank you for helping me apply for residencies by writing me a strong letter of recommendation. Just a reminder that my first program due date is December 22, which is X days away. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Thanks again!"

Thank you! Good thing I gave them an earlier date than my real deadlines though because I'm still waiting haha