reminding profs about recs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceelo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a polite way of telling profs to hurry up with rec letters? I'm waiting on two right now and I'm getting really frustrating. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Call and make an appointment to go pick it up. When you call give them a deadline (not the actual deadline -- you don't want to be down to the wire -- just your deadline that's reasonable given how long you've been waiting). Good luck!

Like SMW says, definitely give them a deadline before the real deadline. I sent my tardy profs polite emails reminding them of the deadline and asking them if there was any further information I could supply that would help them in the writing process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I absolutely understand what you are going through! I had trouble with two of my professors this summer. I sent a couple of emails that asked them how they were and threw in some gentle reminders about where I was in the application process.

After the emails didn't work I called and kind of put them on the spot a very tiny bit. I asked about when would be a good time for them to meet so that i could pick up my letter etc.....I know it is hard to do because you don't want to bother them, but mine really appreciated the prodding because they really were so damned busy!

good luck

later

You have to be slightly agressive. Always keep your reminders polite. I had problems with one professor and if I wouldn've played a passive role I would still be waiting.

I both emailed my professor and also dropped by her office. It's not that they don't want to write it; rather its that they are both very busy and and when they do find free time they find other things to do. Remember, though this process means all the world to you, it's only a forethought in many of the recommender's mind.

What worked for me was a a third gentle reminder saying that my secondary materials were on hold at various universities until they recieved the LOR. And although I wholly understood how busy she was, that it would mean alot if she were to have the letter ready within X amount of days.