Remote lab directorship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathology1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a relatively new in practice pathologist and have been approached by someone to become the lab director for a COVID-19 testing lab in another state. I won’t be able to visit the lab physically more than a couple times a year. Is this a big no-no or should I be looking further into it? And if I accept the role how much money should I be asking for?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am a relatively new in practice pathologist and have been approached by someone to become the lab director for a COVID-19 testing lab in another state. I won’t be able to visit the lab physically more than a couple times a year. Is this a big no-no or should I be looking further into it? And if I accept the role how much money should I be asking for?
Thank you

I’m a CLS not a pathologist, so I can’t really provide you with much guidance on directorship other than to say be very very careful as there are a whole lot of shady covid testing labs around doing all sorts of weird stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1632851274409.png

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't do it. Every state has different on-site requirements for directors in addition to various licensure requirements depending on the originating location of the specimens. Regardless of the requirements, you are responsible for the quality of the work done and liable if you don't provide adequate oversight. The only remote director I have ever met went at least 1 week monthly to the other state where they oversaw another lab.

Hello,
Thank you
1 million a month muahahaha. Just kidding btw.

few things:
1.) you are limited to 5 directorships total, so beware these are finite
2.) you must hold a medical license in the state where the lab is licensed, there are exceptions but they are rare
3.) you will need to either be physically present (best) or available by phone during an inspection
4.) there will be a reasonable assumption you are in active daily direction of the lab or at least oncall for questions

given you are early in your career and major screw ups can be career enders, I would be cautious. I would ensure there is no fraud etc involved.

And lastly unless it was for real money aka 5k+ or more a month, I would probably pass.

Reactions: 4 users
All I would add to LADOC’s comments are, not only would it need to be significantly remunerative but I would have to be desperate for the money. I held similar positions years ago in my own “backyard” and they are really just a pain in the ass.

few things:
1.) you are limited to 5 directorships total, so beware these are finite
2.) you must hold a medical license in the state where the lab is licensed, there are exceptions but they are rare
3.) you will need to either be physically present (best) or available by phone during an inspection
4.) there will be a reasonable assumption you are in active daily direction of the lab or at least oncall for questions

given you are early in your career and major screw ups can be career enders, I would be cautious. I would ensure there is no fraud etc involved.

And lastly unless it was for real money aka 5k+ or more a month, I would probably pass.
LA Doc nails it. I have been lab director for several different labs in different states- all of the above points are correct.

If you have expertise in COVID-19 testing and feel that this lab is capable of performing quality services under your remote direction, and that you will be able to provide CLIA-mandated guidance, then go for it. Compensation should be proportionate to your effort and how much they need you.

If you can't answer the above affirmatively, then stay away. You will be used for cover for a possibly abusive, or worse, fraudulent, enterprise. Remember that Theranos had CLIA lab directors too.

LA Doc nails it. I have been lab director for several different labs in different states- all of the above points are correct.

If you have expertise in COVID-19 testing and feel that this lab is capable of performing quality services under your remote direction, and that you will be able to provide CLIA-mandated guidance, then go for it. Compensation should be proportionate to your effort and how much they need you.

If you can't answer the above affirmatively, then stay away. You will be used for cover for a possibly abusive, or worse, fraudulent, enterprise. Remember that Theranos had CLIA lab directors too.

The lab director was the whistleblower.

20176E10-3B3E-4627-B695-52436FBEBC72.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user