Remote Scribing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimakey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was given the opportunity to scribe with Scribeamerica, but am unsure whether the opportunity is worth it. It would be 3 days a week, with one option having me scribe 2 days mostly-remotely (sometimes, it’ll be in-person) and 1 day in-person (12 hours each day, for 3 consecutive days). The other option is exactly the same, but all 3 days are in-person. The kicker is that the hospital is approximately 2.5 hours away from my house, so I’d essentially be a masochist for selecting the in-person option. Currently, there are no opportunities closer to me. Also, I’m in my first gap year with 0 clinical experience so far, but I’m working part time (non-clinical) elsewhere.

My actual question is whether I should accept this opportunity at all. If the remote hours won’t count as clinical experience, then I’d essentially be leaving a job that pays me more for no benefit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I was given the opportunity to scribe with Scribeamerica, but am unsure whether the opportunity is worth it. It would be 3 days a week, with one option having me scribe 2 days mostly-remotely (sometimes, it’ll be in-person) and 1 day in-person (12 hours each day, for 3 consecutive days). The other option is exactly the same, but all 3 days are in-person. The kicker is that the hospital is approximately 2.5 hours away from my house, so I’d essentially be a masochist for selecting the in-person option. Currently, there are no opportunities closer to me. Also, I’m in my first gap year with 0 clinical experience so far, but I’m working part time (non-clinical) elsewhere.

My actual question is whether I should accept this opportunity at all. If the remote hours won’t count as clinical experience, then I’d essentially be leaving a job that pays me more for no benefit. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Assuming you have in-person experience alongside the remote experiences, then just mark the activity as clinical and list your total hours, and describe it in the best way possible. As long as a significant portion of it was clinical, you will definitely be fine, and it's very unlikely you'll ever be called out on it.

Personally, I have never thought scribing was worth it, but there are many others that disagree.

Last edited:
To me, this is a non-starter. A 5 hour round trip commute on top of a 12 hour workday is pure masochism, and could be dangerous. On top of that, lying about virtual clinical experiences being in person could very well come back to destroy you, no matter how remote the possibility. The remote hours will definitely count. They are just not as highly valued by the schools. Totally not worth the risk of getting caught lying on anything on your application.

I'd take a pass and keep looking for more rewarding opportunities closer to home.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be clear, I too recommend you don't do this, given the job seems to be far more effort than its worth.

I'm also not advising you to lie that all your hours were in person, but just talk about your in-person hours in your description and adcoms will make the assumptions themselves that its all in-person. Definitely disagree with KnightDoc here as your chance of being caught is near zero, and even if caught its pretty doubtful an acceptance would be rescinded over something you didn't even directly lie about.
We'll just have to agree to disagree about lying. Imagine this exchange during an interview: "So tell me, @Ultimakey, just how far from your home is that hospital where you have been scribing? Looks pretty far to me! Two and half hours? Wow! How many times per week do you make that trip? How do you manage to handle that 5 hour round trip drive 3 days a week on top of a brutal 12 work day?" What happens then? Does he out himself, or lie?

Not no chance of getting caught. Not worth it. You seem to think that lying by omission is somehow better than flat out lying, or that the person on the receiving end would perceive it that way upon discovery. I respectfully disagree. Talking about 12 hours of a 36 hour weekly experience, and remaining silent about the remaining 2/3 of your time, allowing the reader to draw a false conclusion, is a lie by omission. Actually no better than flat out claiming it's all in person when it isn't. It's not an innocent mistake. It's an intentional misdirection. Period.

It's also so unnecessary. As doubtful as getting caught is, and as doubtful as having an acceptance rescinded over it is, it's even more doubtful that a R would turn into an A due to 1,000 hours of virtual scribing magically turning into in person, in addition to another 500 in person hours, assuming OP could even handle it for a year.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about lying. Imagine this exchange during an interview: "So tell me, @Ultimakey, just how far from your home is that hospital where you have been scribing? Looks pretty far to me! Two and half hours? Wow! How many times per week do you make that trip? How do you manage to handle that 5 hour round trip drive 3 days a week on top of a brutal 12 work day?" What happens then? Does he out himself, or lie?

Not no chance of getting caught. Not worth it. You seem to think that lying by omission is somehow better than flat out lying, or that the person on the receiving end would perceive it that way upon discovery. I respectfully disagree. Talking about 12 hours of a 36 hour weekly experience, and remaining silent about the remaining 2/3 of your time, allowing the reader to draw a false conclusion, is a lie by omission. Actually no better than flat out claiming it's all in person when it isn't. It's not an innocent mistake. It's an intentional misdirection. Period.

It's also so unnecessary. As doubtful as getting caught is, and as doubtful as having an acceptance rescinded over it is, it's even more doubtful that a R would turn into an A due to 1,000 hours of virtual scribing magically turning into in person, in addition to another 500 in person hours, assuming OP could even handle it for a year.
You both bring up valid points. The only reason I even considered the job was because I commuted 4 hours each day (roundtrip) to college for 3 years (stayed at the dorms for 1 year). I never planned on lying and was just asking whether remote hours would count as clinical hours, but it sounds like there would be no way to differentiate the hours on AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 user
You both bring up valid points. The only reason I even considered the job was because I commuted 4 hours each day (roundtrip) to college for 3 years (stayed at the dorms for 1 year). I never planned on lying and was just asking whether remote hours would count as clinical hours, but it sounds like there would be no way to differentiate the hours on AMCAS.
Correct! It does definitely count as clinical, but schools don't like anything virtual as much as in-person -- not classes, and certainly not clinical experience.

In today's world they have to make compromises, but virtual scribing is not as good as in person. It's still not worthless, and, if you are willing to do the drive once per week, sparing yourself another 10 hours per week in the car is definitely the way to go here. You'd still be getting 600 in person hours over the course of a year, and that's plenty!

Correct! It does definitely count as clinical, but schools don't like anything virtual as much as in-person -- not classes, and certainly not clinical experience.

In today's world they have to make compromises, but virtual scribing is not as good as in person. It's still not worthless, and, if you are willing to do the drive once per week, sparing yourself another 10 hours per week in the car is definitely the way to go here. You'd still be getting 600 in person hours over the course of a year, and that's plenty!
The only thing I’m worried about is Scribeamerica’s non-compete policy, which would prevent me from finding closer work in the future.

And just how do they enforce it? There is usually a geographic area around something as commoditized as scribing. I don't think a hospital two hours away from where they placed you would be considered competition.

I wouldn't do it because I lack the energy to make that drive and then work those hours, but I wouldn't worry about a non-competition clause in a contract for minimum wage work. It would never actually be enforced in a circumstance like yours. If you are concerned, ask them to modify it to take your situation into account. Good luck!!

And just how do they enforce it? There is usually a geographic area around something as commoditized as scribing. I don't think a hospital two hours away from where they placed you would be considered competition.

I wouldn't do it because I lack the energy to make that drive and then work those hours, but I wouldn't worry about a non-competition clause in a contract for minimum wage work. It would never actually be enforced in a circumstance like yours. If you are concerned, ask them to modify it to take your situation into account. Good luck!!
A scribe position closer to me requires 100 clinical hours, which is a much more preferable position. I was planning on just getting the clinical hours from somewhere (work, volunteering, etc) and just working there. I would feel like it’s unethical to work for one job for a few months just to get enough experience for another..
Thanks for all of your input!

A scribe position closer to me requires 100 clinical hours, which is a much more preferable position. I was planning on just getting the clinical hours from somewhere (work, volunteering, etc) and just working there. I would feel like it’s unethical to work for one job for a few months just to get enough experience for another..
Thanks for all of your input!
Honestly, I recommend you do just that. At-will employment goes both ways. For large corporate entities such as ScribeAmerica, they're somewhat designed to "exploit" premeds that really need clinical experience by giving them a lot of work at low pay. If it benefits you, I would do and and wouldn't really feel guilty about it. Of course, your call though. However, if another source of clinical hours is easier to get, then definitely do that. You can get a hundred clinical hours in two weeks through volunteering (assuming your location permits unlimited shifts during all working hours, which every place I volunteered at allowed- I got about 150 hours in just two months to get enough clinical experience for med school).

• Love
Honestly, I recommend you do just that. At-will employment goes both ways. For large corporate entities such as ScribeAmerica, they're somewhat designed to "exploit" premeds that really need clinical experience by giving them a lot of work at low pay. If it benefits you, I would do and and wouldn't really feel guilty about it. Of course, your call though. However, if another source of clinical hours is easier to get, then definitely do that. You can get a hundred clinical hours in two weeks through volunteering (assuming your location permits unlimited shifts during all working hours, which every place I volunteered at allowed- I got about 150 hours in just two months to get enough clinical experience for med school).
I did not know that was possible! Definitely going to consider wracking up hours through volunteering while keeping my fast food job right now instead of worrying about this scribe mess. Thanks for your input!