Remote verification questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd73

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do RPhs that work 3rd shift at a hospital and remote verify for a different location (within the same healthcare umbrella, i.e. different campus) get paid more for the added responsibilities for the remote verification? Is there a contract that needs to be signed by the remote verifying pharmacists? Any, and all help, clarification or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do 2 remotes within the same health system and I don’t get paid but for one.

No you do not get paid extra, but I do recommend making sure you have good contact information for the remote sites, so you can call the right people when you need clarification for an order.

Worked 2 years at HCA and been a COE pharmacist. You get paid less than the onsite pharmacist (which make sense!!!). I was also a remote pharmacist for Cardinal in Dublin, OH and the rate was $45 in 2017. You need to be licensed in 5-6 different states.

Do RPhs that work 3rd shift at a hospital and remote verify for a different location (within the same healthcare umbrella, i.e. different campus) get paid more for the added responsibilities for the remote verification? Is there a contract that needs to be signed by the remote verifying pharmacists? Any, and all help, clarification or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

My health-system does this. We have a handful on small hospitals and one flagship hospital all within a 1 hour driving distance. At night, most of the smaller hospital pharmacies close and the flagship hospital assumes responsibility for order verification. Our night pharmacists do a get a differential, but that's for working night shift, not necessarily because of the remote verification responsibilities.

Also, I'm not sure why a contract would be required by pharmacists verifying remotely if you're operating under the same organization.

The hospital that we are remote verifying for just came on board into our health system. They used to use a remote site out of Nebraska. What’s rubbing me the wrong way is that they are charging them for my services without compensating me. I could understand if it was just extra work added on but I don’t like the idea of working for free when it’s also my license on the line.

The hospital that we are remote verifying for just came on board into our health system. They used to use a remote site out of Nebraska. What’s rubbing me the wrong way is that they are charging them for my services without compensating me. I could understand if it was just extra work added on but I don’t like the idea of working for free when it’s also my license on the line.

Unless you are working off the clock, then you are not working for free. Based on how you state this, I assume this change must have occurred after you took the position and it always sucks to have more work added to your workload (esp if it is already heavy), however, you have nothing to stand on for why you should be compensated additionally, as this practice occurs at numerous sites. Additionally you are still covered by the company for anything you verify, so you are at no more liability than for anything you would verify for your hospital. If you choose not to call for clarification for an order, then that has nothing to do with where the order was going to be filled. The only way I could see a complaint about this is if the additional order load is creating a burden on your ability to process orders in a timely manner, which will not really be rational for additional compensation, but could be reason for additional coverage for the shift. Just do the work and check on orders as you need to. You should be able to get contact numbers for MDs and nurses at the remote site, so you can call to get clarification as needed for orders, allergies, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless you are working off the clock, then you are not working for free.

Right? It would be like me claiming I should make more money every time my LTC pharmacy gets a new home/wing/contract. Sorry it just doesn't work that way unless you are the owner (oversimplification of course).

Reactions: 1 user
There is also the analogy of a high volume vs low volume store. The pharmacist working at a high volume store does not get paid more simply for verifying more scripts than the one at the low volume store.

The only way I could see a complaint about this is if the additional order load is creating a burden on your ability to process orders in a timely manner, which will not really be rational for additional compensation, but could be reason for additional coverage for the shift.

I had to fight to get tech coverage for 1/2 of the shift. The addition of this other hospital has put quite the strain on my ability to process orders with the proper due diligence. At this particular location, I am the pharmacist, the refill tech, the IV tech, the Omnicell tech, etc during my shift. Not to keep complaining (since I have done quite enough), but another added rub is the displacement of workload. I understand the busy store vs slow store scenario. But let's say that in a 24 hour verifying time frame 900 orders are processed. When I pull reports, I am verifying 400+ orders during my 10 hours vs. 5 other pharmacists verifying the remaining 500 orders during the other 14 hours, with full tech coverage. Very frustrating! And a few of them have regaled me with stories of their current Netflix binge that they conduct while they are on the clock.....grrr.

Thanks everyone for chiming in....I guess it's management's way or the highway...here's to looking forward to retirement!

I had to fight to get tech coverage for 1/2 of the shift. The addition of this other hospital has put quite the strain on my ability to process orders with the proper due diligence. At this particular location, I am the pharmacist, the refill tech, the IV tech, the Omnicell tech, etc during my shift. Not to keep complaining (since I have done quite enough), but another added rub is the displacement of workload. I understand the busy store vs slow store scenario. But let's say that in a 24 hour verifying time frame 900 orders are processed. When I pull reports, I am verifying 400+ orders during my 10 hours vs. 5 other pharmacists verifying the remaining 500 orders during the other 14 hours, with full tech coverage. Very frustrating! And a few of them have regaled me with stories of their current Netflix binge that they conduct while they are on the clock.....grrr.

Thanks everyone for chiming in....I guess it's management's way or the highway...here's to looking forward to retirement!

I know exactly how you feel. All I can say is consider that difference in productivity your ‘job security’. If cuts should occur in the future management will not want to get run of the people actually getting scripts out the door.

If you have actual data for your work load vs other shifts, then I would speak with the other night shift pharmacist and see how they feel. If both of you feel overburdened, then it is work talking with your director about additional coverage or changing the workflow to reduce non-verification workload for you. Also, I have not looked at my hospitals numbers or worked the overnight shift, but seems high for 50% of the workload order wise to happen overnight. Maybe you just have one heck of a busy ED.

If you have actual data for your work load vs other shifts, then I would speak with the other night shift pharmacist and see how they feel. If both of you feel overburdened, then it is work talking with your director about additional coverage or changing the workflow to reduce non-verification workload for you. Also, I have not looked at my hospitals numbers or worked the overnight shift, but seems high for 50% of the workload order wise to happen overnight. Maybe you just have one heck of a busy ED.
one thing that is important to remember is that not all orders are equal.

Example - our 40 bed ED does more orders than our 460 beds combined - but most are simple 1 x orders with minimal thought needed