Renal Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey smartkidney,

Do you have strong letters of recommendation? Maybe that could be affecting your application....When I asked for my letters I specifically asked if they felt comfortable writing me a STRONG letter of support because I wanted to make sure that I did not end up with a mediocre letter. Anyway, I hope you hear from more programs in the near future

Members don't see this ad.

Hi renaldoc2be,

the west coast programs I have heard from thus far include:

University of Washington
UCSF
UC Davis
Kaiser LA
USC
UCLA Harbor
UCSD

I don't know if it's because I am from California..that probably has something to do with it!

Does anyone know if CCF has started sending out interview invitations?

Members don't see this ad :)
This site has died down.
Did anyone hear from the University of Colorado, Arizona?

Best of Luck to all

Don't know what people have heard recently (meaning the last few days) but Colorado offered interviews right after the first of the year (2-3 weeks back). They were planning to interview about 20 people. I know less about about Arizona, but I do know they have offered at least some of their interviews. A colleague of mine within my program applied there and was offered an interview a week or two back. Hope that helps. I have a feeling things will pick up again next week.

Don't know what people have heard recently (meaning the last few days) but Colorado offered interviews right after the first of the year (2-3 weeks back). They were planning to interview about 20 people. I know less about about Arizona, but I do know they have offered at least some of their interviews. A colleague of mine within my program applied there and was offered an interview a week or two back. Hope that helps. I have a feeling things will pick up again next week.

Thanks for your reply. I hope your feeling is right!!!

GL all

Does anyone know if CCF has started sending out interview invitations?

The answer is yes and I got a rejection myself, and I don't think that they send rejections before sending most interviews.
1. :) Does any body know anything about CCF In Florida? Is it a good program? How many fellows? Did any body receive interviews from them?

2. Also:cool: what about Case Western Reserve University? Does it give H1 or just J1?

3. Guys,:scared: I heard that most hospitals like "Inbreeding" I mean taking their own medical residents, and if that is the case this is a huge issure, because this way even if you get "5 interviews" like I did,,, you are gonna have no chance in none of'em? To the degree that I am not excited anymore getting any more interviews after I heard that thing about "Inbreeding"

4. By the way :eek: which is more important "Research and publications" or "previous clinical experience in nephrology back in our country "India"?"

Thank you
Good luck everybody

Hi renaldoc2be,

the west coast programs I have heard from thus far include:

University of Washington
UCSF
UC Davis
Kaiser LA
USC
UCLA Harbor
UCSD

I don't know if it's because I am from California..that probably has something to do with it!

Have you already done IV in Kaiser or UC Davis, If so, please let me know how was it going?

Thanks and GL for the rest.

Stony Brook in Long Island, NY

Has any of you guys heard from Columbia? Cornell will supposedly start reviewing applications at the end of January.
Keep posting and give updates to keep the thread alive!!

Good Luck

Im thinking most of the invitations are out! Most programs said they have already scheduled all the interviewees-- highly unlikely to get anymore as far as I think...

Im thinking most of the invitations are out! Most programs said they have already scheduled all the interviewees-- highly unlikely to get anymore as far as I think...

I am positive about this, because I called about 15 hospitals today, and about 6 or 7 of them were still in the reviewing process, and guess what some did not even touch the papers, yet.

Hey Renal2009 ,,, what happened in your interviews?

hey renaldocwithPhd.....do you know if programs generally send rejection emails/letters to let you know or do they just don't contact you at all?
I haven't heard from Yale, Emory, NYMC or BI in NY either way.
Columbia and Cornell have not finalized their stuff yet....as least that's what told me by email.

I am honestly not sure what to make out of it, some of the programs that I called did say "still reviewing", but I know for a fact that they sent out invitations. My guess is that programs are keeping it open, once they have a look at the people they invited first then they will make decision. I personally do expect some people here to get interviews here and there but my guess is that the bulk of them already done. Having said that I hope I am wrong and everyone will get as much as they need.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey renaldocwithPhd.....do you know if programs generally send rejection emails/letters to let you know or do they just don't contact you at all?
I haven't heard from Yale, Emory, NYMC or BI in NY either way.
Columbia and Cornell have not finalized their stuff yet....as least that's what told me by email.

I am positive about this, because I called about 15 hospitals today, and about 6 or 7 of them were still in the reviewing process, and guess what some did not even touch the papers, yet.

Hey Renal2009 ,,, what happened in your interviews?

Hi Pedronavaja,
I dont think programs let you know if they dont want to interview you..They usually only send invitations..but I would wait until middle of Feb--if you havent heard anything by then, I would assume that its a rejection!

Actually they do! I have got a bunch of "our interview invitations have already been sent" and "we regret" kind of e-mails :oops:...the rejects in other words

Hi Pedronavaja,
I dont think programs let you know if they dont want to interview you..They usually only send invitations..but I would wait until middle of Feb--if you havent heard anything by then, I would assume that its a rejection!

Stanford for me today

I still think there are places who are waiting. Several large university programs have told me via e-mail they have not started sending invitations for interviews and would not until Feb 1 (today obviously) at the earliest. They were waiting for all applications to be in and set a deadline of January 31 for apps.

Good luck all!

Congrats renaldoc2be on Stanford....it's good to see that some of the Top programs are still sending invites at this point.
I will be going to Sinai soon and was wondering if anybody has any interview experiences to share.

Thanks!!

Baylorin Dallas, I think that was it for ma this year.
Will wait till the match comes in , have 4 to list , will see
R2009

Hi all,
This forum is a godsend for me, I have been out of residency for a while and am not very familiar with most of the programs. I trained in int medicine from a major university program and currently am working as a hospitalist. I am couple matching, my gf is applying for heme-onc and so far she has very few interviews.
I applied thru ERAS in the middle of Jan( was not aware of deadlines and such being out of touch with the fellowship scene) and have the following interviews:

Baylor, Houston
Cornell
Penn
U of Wash
Wash U
BIDMC
Yale
Virginia
Alabama
UCSD
Boston University
Henry Ford
Virginia
Tufts
Kaiser

Wayne stae
Louisville
kansas
Oklahoma
SLU
Mt Sinai
Queens hospital

I have rejections from Duke, Mayo, Vandy, Georgetown and UCSF
(and at this stage i probably have rejections from all the programs I have not heard from).
I am planning on doing about 10-12 interviews, I am probably not going to interview at the last 7 or so that i have listed( but any advice here will be welcome).
Not very familiar with kaiser and TUFTS, are they pretty reputable programs( i can't find them on US NEWS top 50 programs)? Is Henry Ford comparable to UCSD or Alabama( i have heard some good things about it).

Any recommendations on where to interview and what interviews to not take would be appreciated, i am limited by time to about 10-12 interviews as above. I have only just interviewed at baylor in houston and I was not very impressed( the whole program seemed disorganized).

Good luck to everybody

Hi moozyman,
Congrats on getting so many interviews--Kaiser is not a reputable program, but Tufts has a very strong clinical program with some big names. The top choices that you have listed are all fantastic programs! Good luck.

I have an interview at univ of Arkansas and I would appreciate if anyone here can give me info on how good or bad that program is since I don't know much about it. I applied there since I am an IMG and didnt want to take a chance. But I have 7 other interviews and wanted to know whether that is a good training program or not.

Interviews I have are from
UAB,
univ of Florida
Univ of miami
Vanderbilt
Univ of chicago
Indiana Univ
GoergeTown
UT SW

Good luck to everyone

hello guys, I was reading and it seems to be there are some IMGs here, so I came up with this question.

I'm considering applying to Nephro. I'm on a J1 visa, do you know anyone who matched to nephro with J1 visa??? is it likely?

thanks so much.

hi chemamr,
You can definitely match on J1 (H1 is even more difficult and Im on an H1 currently).
It all depends on how good your credentials are
Goodluck

Hi moozyman,
Congrats on getting so many interviews--Kaiser is not a reputable program, but Tufts has a very strong clinical program with some big names. The top choices that you have listed are all fantastic programs! Good luck.

Thank you for you well wishes as well as your recommendations.
In the meanwhile I also received an interview call from Hopkins, Emory and UC Irvine. I have to go to Emory since my fiancee is also interviewing there, and I'll go to Hopkins( duh) but will probably skip out on UC Irvine.

I'm guessing today was kind of the last day for interviews. Programs kind of led me to believe they would all be out by the second week of February. Not that it is a huge deal for me since I was fortunate with interview offers. I am somewhat surprised that one program in particular didn't offer me an interview. The head of the division e-mailed me in November and told me I would be getting one. Kind of strange when people don't follow through I guess. Good luck to everyone as the interviews continue on over the next few weeks (and a few months I suppose).

Final interview at UC Davis, scheduled in April..Its all over for me--still have to visit 5 places.

Hello everyone,

I still haven't heard from several places at this point including Columbia, Yale or Emory. SUNY Downstate has not even downloaded my ERAS application at this point....:laugh:.
Are any of you cancelling interviews? I had to cancell Darmouth and UCSF because of scheduling conflicts.
I can't complain too much as I have great options at this point

Do all programs require fellows to place temp HD catheter?

Interview from Jefferson in Phily? any insights into this program?

I don't know much about the program but the Hospital was ranked 47th last year on the USNews list...I'm assuming that because it is in Philly you'll probably get great clinical exposure...I'm not too sure if they are a big research institution it that is something you are looking into

Any input about U of Florida (Gainsville)?

I don't know much about the program but the Hospital was ranked 47th last year on the USNews list...I'm assuming that because it is in Philly you'll probably get great clinical exposure...I'm not too sure if they are a big research institution it that is something you are looking into

Thanks pedrona!
Renin, when did you get a call from Uof FLorida, Gainesville? Im guessing some programs may still extend interviews ( I got a call from Jefferson 2 days ago)

Thanks pedrona!
Renin, when did you get a call from Uof FLorida, Gainesville? Im guessing some programs may still extend interviews ( I got a call from Jefferson 2 days ago)

About 2 wks ago.

Has anyone heard from UCLA...either interview or rejection? Getting kinda late in the game here, and it hasn't been mentioned previously on this thread...

Columbia Presbyterian Cornell Program
I cannot believe it
GL all
R2009

congrats!!

Did you hear from Columbia or Cornell?
It wasn't entirely clear in your post.

Do all programs require fellows to place temp HD catheter?

Not all programs do. I think the fellows at U. Penn told me they only do 1-2 lines a year. As opposed to say Wash U where they do about 10/mth( and all IJs, they don't like femorals).

Any recommendations on UC San Diego, Virginia Commonwealth, Henry Ford, Boston University, SLU, Mt Sinai or TUFTs. I need to cancel some of those interviews in the next couple of days.

Cornell and Thomas Jefferson last week. Any thought about Stony Brook, NY program?

Stony Brook seems to be a decent program with its own transplant division. The only thing is that it is 60 miles from NYC almost as far as going to New Haven for that matter. Living that deep in Long Island can be a drag if you want to live and commute from the city.

Did anyone interview here? Hows the program rated in NY and how competitive is it? Is it combined with jacobi?

Montefiore is actually an excellent clinical program. I had the opportunity to work with some of the nephrologists there and they are excellent. Their fellowship program is different from Jacobi. Montefiore is the largest employer in the Bronx so their health network is pretty extensive. They have their own transplant program there as well. Einstein is pretty big into research so if you are interested in finding something to do, you'll probably be able to do something throught he hospital or the medical school.
Montefiore in general is pretty comparable to some of the other better known programs in NYC, but is not as attractive because it is in the Bronx and not Manhattan. I would not mind matching there at all.

Hopefully that helps

I wanted to know what your opinion is on the 4 year BWH/MGH program and how it compares to other prgms like Cornell, Columbia, UCSF etc. Is 1 year of clinical training enough and is it worth spending 4 years to get the "harvard stamp".
Thanks
GL

I think it all depends how serious you are about a career in research. I f you are going into private practice a clinical fellowship 2 years long should be enough as in private practice you are paid based on productivity so where you are coming from is not so important. On the other side if you want to stay in academics and you are serious about a career in research you can not be in a better position being trained in top notch program.
That is just my opinion.
GL all
R2009

Stony Brook seems to be a decent program with its own transplant division. The only thing is that it is 60 miles from NYC almost as far as going to New Haven for that matter. Living that deep in Long Island can be a drag if you want to live and commute from the city.

Thanks for the information pedronajava2005.

:love:
1. I really have no idea why a hospital would be sending out interviews till now?

2. I don't know whether it is really a nice thing to be invited for an interview that late? and is it that they must interview a certain number? or is it because not satisfied with who they interviewed already?

3. Did anybody interview there? and if yes could you please orient me a little bit about this program?

4. Most programs take their own residents? and if this is true? what are the odds to get a spot?

beeeso
good luck every one
How did you do in the rest of your interview Renal2009?:cool:

Have 2 left
U Chicago and Cornell / NYP
Will see
R2009