Renal Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received rejections from Vanderbelt and from Tufts :smuggrin::smuggrin:
And I still have one single interview,
But God may use this tiny little amount of oil and bless it into a job, as unlikely as it may seem :)

Good luck everybody

Members don't see this ad.

Rejection from Tufts (mass-email).
Interview from Mount Sinai, NYCity

How many IVs do you think we need?
Thanks for your orientation
R2009

Members don't see this ad :)
How many IVs do you think we need?
Thanks for your orientation
R2009

Im not sure but the more the merrier! I guess having 5-7 should put you in a good spot --I have seen people not matching despite having 8 IVs while others have matched with just 3 IVS

Has anyone heard from UCI?

I'm assuming the California programs are rather dependent upon where you live/are from. I applied at a number of programs, but as an individual not in residency or native to California I figure I will be lucky to hear from many. I did, however, hear from UCSD yesterday.

I called all california programs yesterday and most of them including UCI are behind reviewing applications. UCI would send late this month and some of them early Feb. However, USC, UCSD and Kaiser have already sent invitations and may send more if somebody rejects. it would be tough though getting interview in Ca.

I have 3 sofar. I think 7-8 IVs will almost guaranty being matched for fellowship unless you do terrible on IVs.:eek:

GL
Nephron110

Has any of you interviewed at Vanderbilt yet. If so what should I expect? I have an interview there next week. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I am interviewing at UT-Southwestern and UTMB-Galveston next week, anyone with an experience at these places so far?

What are some of the questions we can ask during an interview?

I have my first IV next week at UVA? any input.

GL all

Hey everyone, new to this forum...how are Chicago programs in terms of calls...

University of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad :)
Im surprised there is no transplant program at BWH/MGH that is accredited by AST..anyone interested in transplant?

I am hoping someone can help me out with this. I am curently doing some basci sc research, and due to that, I get asked at interviews if I want to do a 3 yr program instead of 2. I don't! But if I say that, I am afraid they will lose interst in me. How should I handle this?
Santa

i'm a second year resident applying this yr to nephrology and haven't heard back from any program as yet. does it help to call/email programs to see where they are at as far as reviewing applications are concerned? should i be worried not to have had a reply to date??

Hi every one.

I am applying for nephro 09. I received an invitation from University of south florida today. Can any one comment on this program?
I am not sure about going because I have already planned a trip for interview at Uni of Miami and I cant afford a second trip to florida.

I would appreciate any comments.

Hi,
I am interested in transplant medicine. Feel free to discuss whatever about it I am so glad you have this interest, hopefully your PhD is on immunology. I do have many ideas as well as questions. Hopefully I will get the spot
GL but you have many IVs already
R2009

Anyone know anything about UNC? Have they offered any interviews this year? Are they full of internal candidates?

Thanks

Anyone know anything about UNC? Have they offered any interviews this year? Are they full of internal candidates?

Thanks

Dont know about UNC but Duke has already sent all their invites..the PD told me there are too many internal candidates who want to stay...I guess UNC should be no different!

2nd interview in Wayne State University Interview after a waiting time of 40 days of silence!
Most hospitals I contacted via email said they are still in the process of reviewing application, and several others said they are done.

So far WSU and St. John Hospital in Detroit
Good luck everybody

Congrats!!!!!
I am still stuck with 4 , nothing this year so far
By the way got rejection from WSU
GL
R2009

Hi all,

IVs from Tufts and Brown.
Rejections from Rush(withdrew from the match; filled with internal candidates,
WSU and U Minn

Good luck!

Congrats!!!!!
I am still stuck with 4 , nothing this year so far
By the way got rejection from WSU
GL
R2009

I really appreciate your nice words,
Good luck,
by the way almost half that hospital are still reviewing applications guys, I am of this, and If I am mistaken then at least 1/3 of programs are still reviewing and some will start sending out interview early February to Mid March!!

Got many rejections as well,
Kaiser P.
Tufts
Henry Ford "mass email"
Vanderbelt
Mount Saini

If you are stuck with 4 renal2009 then what am I doing with 2? hahahahha:laugh::smuggrin::eek:

If you wanna give me one piece of advice for my next interview Renal2009, what would it be?

and I understood that you were in the match before, right? what happened? and how many interviews?

To tubule

Hi all,

IVs from Tufts and Brown.
Rejections from Rush(withdrew from the match; filled with internal candidates,
WSU and U Minn

Good luck!

Congrats,
could you please help us and tell us a little bit about your credentials?

Can we trade interviews? ahhahaha:smuggrin:

1st St. John Detroit
2nd WSU
3rd Temple University

Good luck everybody
How are you doing Renal2009, did you get 5th?
beeeso

1st St. John Detroit
2nd WSU
3rd Temple University
4th Drexel University College of Medicine

Good luck everybody, because we all are gonna need it :) :idea::D:idea::p:idea:

Univ of Chicago for me today
God is great
R2009

From Yale.

I Called some programs today they told me they are still looking at applications. Should we expect more IV calls? or are they just telling us that to get us off their back?. No calls for me from Florida, CA, MA.

Good luck all

Yesterday from Baystate Springfield MA
GL all
R2009

Hello,

I haven't posted in a while and I recently encountered this post. I wanted to know if any of you have heard from Columbia, Cornell or Montefiore. I haven't heard about anyone getting rejections or invites from these places so far.
My invites are the following:
Jacobi/Einstein
Penn
North Shore
Brown
Darmouth
UCSF
Mt. Sinai
NYU
I already went to Jacobi and Penn for interviews.

Take care.

pedronavaja2005, sent you a private message. Can you please check it.

thanks !

Can you tell your experience and views on Jacobi program?

Jacobi is a relatively new program which needs a lot of work (in my opinion). I the research oportunities are not great and they are working on that. Fellows either have to go to Montefiore/Einstein or Columbia for research and some rotations and lectures. I rotated there as a med student and the environment was pretty much sink or swim and even for fellowship I felt the same culutre (the PD said something about "no hand holding" in the program). Anyway, hope this helps

applied to 50 programs, no interviews yet. should i stop expecting anymore after this, i think it is too late, to get any

From my short experience in this process I would still wait for programs to be making calls in february.
Keep the faith
R2009

Do some of the good programs really send out their interview invitations in February? I'm sure this was not the case previously (before the days of the match), and I don't know now. My interview offers have been very heavy east coast (granted that is where the programs are heaviest in concentration). Have any of you heard from the California programs? The only places toward the western part of the US I know have offered interviews are Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, UC-San Diego. Either myself or my friends in my program have been offerd at all of those. I hear Washington has offered, but I don' know. I have been offered a good number of wonderful interviews, and in all honesty I will not be able to do them all. There are a couple of places I'd like to interview, but I'm just wondering if I should hold out for these or just call it good. I'm also a little concerned that if I interview only at the great places that I won't match because I'll be ranked too low on everyone's list.

Thanks for the advice and information from everyone. I am always interest to read what you all hear.

Keep in mind also that I know many of the people on here face visa issues etc. I know I am no more qualified than any of you, I just have the advnatage of being a US citizen from a US med school in a University based residency program. I think it is undeniable that all of those things help. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I may have more interviews than some, but I know it isn't necessarily because I'm a better candidate. My situations is just different.

How far down the rank list do you think we'll go?

Are there some places doing a ton of interviews? I have heard Alabama-Birmingham has offered quite a large number of interviews, and has at least 3 internal candidates.

Good luck to all of you, hopefully we all match just where we want to be!

Hi,

Appreciate your being open about the selection process Renaldoc2be. :thumbup:

It does look like things have got more competitive over the last few years.

Anyone heard from Texas programs - like Baylor etc?:confused:

Does anybody know if Henry Ford program is going through the match??
It seems the are interviewing a lot of people.
Thanks
R2009

I emailed some of the programs that I haven't heard from and Cornell replied saying that they will review all the applications at the end of the month and contact those who are invited for interviews. It seems that we should still hear from programs well into february.

By the way, has anyone heard from Columbia or Montefiore in NY?

Best wishes to all :)

interview today from

drexel uni

Rejection:-

Uni of alabama

IV so far
OHSU
OSU
WFU
UVA
MCV
Northwestern
Mayo
U of Minn

1 Rejection: Duke
Still haven't heard from a few...

Hi all,
I am doing my residency from a large community program, have done decent amt of research, although my publications are pending review...last year I applied to abt 40 programs, needed H1 and had 3 interviews, did not get a spot. This year I have done more research, applied to >75 programs and have an EAD. But I have not gotten a single call so far, got a few rejections. Being concerned would be an understatement, I am totally going crazy...I have no idea what to do..any suggestions?
Thanks.