Renal Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if you guys are writing thank you letters at this point. With match day being much later I wasn't sure when is the best time to send them
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Cleveland Clinic Florida today
So far for the match:
OHSU
U Nebraska
Henry Ford
U Chicago
NYP Cornell
Cleveland Clinic Florida
GL all Keep posting
R2009

Hello all,
I have Univ of Chicago and Univ of Florida interviews left. Can anyone please share their experiences at these places?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone please share their experience, or even if he/she heard something that might help during this interview?

beeeso

Hello all,
I have Univ of Chicago and Univ of Florida interviews left. Can anyone please share their experiences at these places?

Thanks,

I have heard that Univ of Chicago is a very good program.

moozyman,
It looks like you're very wanted, and congrats on getting all the interviews that you got. Those are some truly great programs, I wouldn't even know how to even say if 1program is better than the other, other than of course some have them have great names and well known for all their programs. Did you by any chance, consider the University of Florida, Gainesville...only reason I ask, its the one(only ONE) program that gave me an interview. Can I ask you a question? It appears that you had completed your residency some time ago and have now decided to go for fellowship. This is exactly my same situation. I finished IM residency in 2002 and been working as an internist and then hospitalist. What's your feeling about going back into fellowship and about the prospect of being a fellow, when you were either an attending/out working. I know that its do-able. Thanks, HospMD
Hi all,
This forum is a godsend for me, I have been out of residency for a while and am not very familiar with most of the programs. I trained in int medicine from a major university program and currently am working as a hospitalist. I am couple matching, my gf is applying for heme-onc and so far she has very few interviews.
I applied thru ERAS in the middle of Jan( was not aware of deadlines and such being out of touch with the fellowship scene) and have the following interviews:

Baylor, Houston
Cornell
Penn
U of Wash
Wash U
BIDMC
Yale
Virginia
Alabama
UCSD
Boston University
Henry Ford
Virginia
Tufts
Kaiser

Wayne stae
Louisville
kansas
Oklahoma
SLU
Mt Sinai
Queens hospital

I have rejections from Duke, Mayo, Vandy, Georgetown and UCSF
(and at this stage i probably have rejections from all the programs I have not heard from).
I am planning on doing about 10-12 interviews, I am probably not going to interview at the last 7 or so that i have listed( but any advice here will be welcome).
Not very familiar with kaiser and TUFTS, are they pretty reputable programs( i can't find them on US NEWS top 50 programs)? Is Henry Ford comparable to UCSD or Alabama( i have heard some good things about it).

Any recommendations on where to interview and what interviews to not take would be appreciated, i am limited by time to about 10-12 interviews as above. I have only just interviewed at baylor in houston and I was not very impressed( the whole program seemed disorganized).

Good luck to everybody

by any chance, did you apply to University of Florida-Gainesville, It's a good program, and if you want any further info on it, let me know

Hey Chaisy,
I know a bit about the program at UF-Gainesville. It's a good program and they have about 4 fellows per year. It's busy, and usually the fellows rotate at Shands at UF and then at the VA which is right across the street. They have some very big attendings, especially the Division Chief. He is actually very well known nationally, and he is a really nice guy. no real electives the 1st year, and you're usually on either the ESRD/ACUTE CARE RENAL/TRANSPLANT/VA...2nd year is better, per fellows. ACUTE CARE and TRANSPLANT are really busy. Hope this helps, and let me know if you need any further info.
amquote=chaisy;6330099]Hello all,

Thanks,[/quote]

Hi Hosp MD ,

Thanks for your all the info on U of Florida. I am going there later this month. I have also been out of residency but not as long as you. I graduated in 2005 and was doing hospitalist. Decided to get back to fellowship so now I am doing a research fellowship. It is difficult but doable.

Best of luck to you.

Chaisy

I am a final year resident with 2 interviews this year. I am looking for hospitalist positions for 2008. I am trying to figure what kind of job to do this year that will help me be competitive for next year in case I dont match for 09. I am looking at Univ based jobs right now...does a university matter as opposed to a community based job? Were you able to do any research as a hospitalist? Is it possible to do research in other hospitals while u are working? Also I am looking for research fellowships. I have applied to a couple places from NEJM jobs.... is there a way to find other opportunities for research fellowships? Thanks in anticipation.

Has anyone heard from Columbia? I dont see anyone on this thread mentioning about this program

Hey Renaldoc,

I haven't heard anything from the Columbia Camp. I emailed the PD late january and at the time he told me that they still hadn't finalized the interview list. I have a friend who went to their internal medicine program and she told me that they generally like residents who come from Harvard programs....I don't know how real that is.
It's interesting to note that during my NYC interview rounds many of the docs had "smart" comments about the program at Columbia and this happened at more than one program. Also I met a current NYC renal fellow who went to Columbia for residency and she didn't have a lot of good things to say about the renal program. It seems that you get good clinical exposure but the program is not fellow oriented from what I have heard. Still, it would be nice to experience all these things personally.
Anyway, keep us updated if you hear from them...I'll certainly will

Good Luck

Hey Renaldoc,

I haven't heard anything from the Columbia Camp. I emailed the PD late january and at the time he told me that they still hadn't finalized the interview list. I have a friend who went to their internal medicine program and she told me that they generally like residents who come from Harvard programs....I don't know how real that is.
It's interesting to note that during my NYC interview rounds many of the docs had "smart" comments about the program at Columbia and this happened at more than one program. Also I met a current NYC renal fellow who went to Columbia for residency and she didn't have a lot of good things to say about the renal program. It seems that you get good clinical exposure but the program is not fellow oriented from what I have heard. Still, it would be nice to experience all these things personally.
Anyway, keep us updated if you hear from them...I'll certainly will

Good Luck

Thanks Pedronavaja.
Yes, columbia didnt have a research track until 3 years ago. Their division consists of about 12 faculty members, that includes 2 that are basic science researchers--not the greatest for columbia standards..I think the clinical training is OK being in NY City and transplant is good, but the program is not that geared towards fellow's individual career track.
I will update u if I hear from them..I had been in touch with the PD, he only replied in a line saying they are still deciding..Im not too sure--they must have scheduled the first round of interviewees by now...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Beeso,
How's the fellowship process going for you thus far? Did you apply to any programs down south? Does your residency program offer fellowship in renal?
good luck to you

I am a final year resident with 2 interviews this year. I am looking for hospitalist positions for 2008. I am trying to figure what kind of job to do this year that will help me be competitive for next year in case I dont match for 09. I am looking at Univ based jobs right now...does a university matter as opposed to a community based job? Were you able to do any research as a hospitalist? Is it possible to do research in other hospitals while u are working? Also I am looking for research fellowships. I have applied to a couple places from NEJM jobs.... is there a way to find other opportunities for research fellowships? Thanks in anticipation.

You should definitely go for an academic job, it matters because they like to know that you are still in academia, involved in teaching residents and stuff, plus more uptodate. Research is always a possibility depending on your schedule. If it's unpaid, you do not even have to reveal it. If it is a paid research job, then most likely you have to get permission from your hospitalist director (they will usually have that clause in the contract). Keep in mind though that academic hospitalists have lower salaries in general.

I just found that Brown is offering an extra spot for July 2007 because they got funding to support another fellow. Would you guys take that spot if it were offered to you? or would you just go ahead with the match?

I just found that Brown is offering an extra spot for July 2007 because they got funding to support another fellow. Would you guys take that spot if it were offered to you? or would you just go ahead with the match?
Yes, I remember the PD mentioning about this spot but that was for 2008 not 2009. They will alternate 3 and 4 fellows/year. I guess if one liked the program very much, why shouldnt u take the spot unless match offers better ones?

I keep wondering which one is has a better reputation overall ?? .... BU vs Montefiore Einstein NY vs Brown vs Maryland vs Cornel vs SUNY Dow.. any comments.

Hi,
Has anyone here any information about the nephro program at Indiana University ( Clarion Health System). I really liked the program during my interview, but wanted an outside opinion as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone, I'll be a first year intern next year and I'm very interested in Nephrology. I have matched into a community based program, therefore I don't have the university affiliation and research opportunities that some university programs offer, therefore any advice you can give me so that I can start as early as possible to apply it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks and good luck!

So, anyone hear of any spots going outside the match (and not to internal applicants)? I'm just curious as to what people are hearing. I am certain this is going on, at least to a limited degree, but I am also certain there are lots of programs sticking true to the match
Good luck...83 more days!

Was there recently at drexel.I have to say that its not a very good program.Interview day was very disorganized,all the candidates were made told intially that we would see be interviewed by three people(whoever is free) but finally ended up seeing only two.Questions were routine(tell about yourself,research etc) .The fellow who did the hospital tour told that its only a clinical program with ZERO research.You have 7 inpatient consult months per year(Holy cow!).Overall not a program for me.

I haven't heard of people being offered spots outside the match. What I've heard about are extra spots opening to start 2008. Brown is one of them and I have a friend applying for 2009 who got a spot for 2008 at Uva.
As for me, I'll take my chances.
I'm so glad I'm done with interviews. Now I can sit back and think about all these places.
Good luck to all of you who finished and those who are still interviewing.

Hey everyone, I'll be a first year intern next year and I'm very interested in Nephrology. I have matched into a community based program, therefore I don't have the university affiliation and research opportunities that some university programs offer, therefore any advice you can give me so that I can start as early as possible to apply it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks and good luck!

are you guys really that busy or don't want to lend a helping hand? come on don't you remember how it was when you first started residency and wondered whether nephro was the right path for you? Help a brother out! Thanks

are you guys really that busy or don't want to lend a helping hand? come on don't you remember how it was when you first started residency and wondered whether nephro was the right path for you? Help a brother out! Thanks
Dude, Relax! You have just matched at a program--so take some time and enjoy before u get crushed in your residency . You ve got atleast 18 months before you apply and start interviewing; so why the F are you getting so excited about..these guys are in the middle of application and all of them dont know where they will match--so if nobody gives u a piece of advice right away, cut them some slack.

Hi All,
I would be going for interview at Cleveland Clinic , Ohio next week and wanted any input on the program there. I know it has an excellent reuptation and all, being # 4 in US ranking but how about the program itself. There is limited info available on their website.
If any of you interviewed there or know anything about the program , pls let me know.

by any chance, did you apply to University of Florida-Gainesville, It's a good program, and if you want any further info on it, let me know
Hey HospMD. Thanx for your kind words, I just hadn't checked the forums for a long time. I didn't apply to gainsville, I did apply to miami but didn't get a call for an interview from there. I finished residency in '05 and took a semi-academic position, so i don't think transitioning back into fellowship will be that difficult. It maybe tougher if you are 7 yrs out, but i have a friend recently start a GI fellowship after doing outpt clinics for over 10 yrs.
Good luck with the match, people have matched with one interview in the past and I am sure it can happen again.

Hi All,
I would be going for interview at Cleveland Clinic , Ohio next week and wanted any input on the program there. I know it has an excellent reuptation and all, being # 4 in US ranking but how about the program itself. There is limited info available on their website.
If any of you interviewed there or know anything about the program , pls let me know.

One of my attendings trained there for residency and fellowship and he highly recommended the program. I guess there forte might be the critical care experience( infact you should highly think fo doing a critical care yr after you finish training at CCF).

Can any one comment on the U Penn program?

I thought is was pretty strong, probably more clinical emphasis than say Seattle or UCSF. But good research opportunities, good clinical experience, very friendly( and well known) PD. Strong transplant program also, if that is what you might end up doing.

Has anyone heard from Columbia? I dont see anyone on this thread mentioning about this program

Can anybody compare the Columbia and Cornell programs? I know they sort of share the same major hospital. I am interviewing at Cornell later this mth, never heard from Columbia.

columbia and cornell are actually two different hospitals and the residency and fellowship programs are totally independent from each other. The people at Columbia don't rotate through Cornell and vise versa and the merging of the two hospitals is more of an administrative more than an educational focus.
Columbia has been MIA from this forum...not sure what's up with them....maybe they filled with internal applicants...continues to be a mystery.

Good luck

Can anybody compare the Columbia and Cornell programs? I know they sort of share the same major hospital. I am interviewing at Cornell later this mth, never heard from Columbia.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your input about Penn.
I was in cornell recently. It's a good clinical program and you get 6 months of research opprtunity in 2nd yr. There is also 1 extra year of transplant if you are interested. fellows were happy and attendings seem to be nice. This program has nothing to do with columbia as far as I understood (there may be some combined conferences, thats all).

One of my attendings trained there for residency and fellowship and he highly recommended the program. I guess there forte might be the critical care experience( infact you should highly think fo doing a critical care yr after you finish training at CCF).

Thanks a alot for the response Moozy man. I am getting tense with each passing day. About 2 months to go. : ) Also do you have any info about Univ of Indiana's program. I liked the program when I went there for an interview but wanted some outside opinion if any??

I've interviewed at IU for a faculty position in Nephrology. I was quite impressed by the division and it's director, Dr. Molitoris. They have a great vision about what they want to accomplish for the future, and are genuinely interested in teaching as well as supporting the development/research of their junior nephrologists. I'm hoping to join up with them in the near future. The fellows seemed quite happy. I believe you would receive a quality education at IU if you chose their program.

I was wandering what is some of your experiences after sending thank you letter to the programs. Some places reply back with a nice note, but some don’t.

Does it mean much? What have you guys experienced?

Good luck to all.

Anyone heard from this program? They are sending me an interview rather late now!

I was wandering what is some of your experiences after sending thank you letter to the programs. Some places reply back with a nice note, but some don't.

Does it mean much? What have you guys experienced?

Good luck to all.

I did send thank you letter to the program director and the Div Chief and had the same experience as you. I don't know what to make of it though.

Just got an email from Emory saying that they are done with the interview process.....good luck to all

How many programs can we rank? Is it 10? Also some programs have different quotas for clinical and research tracks. My understanding is that we can rank one program for both clinical as well as research track but that means one such program will have to be ranked twice. Any opinion?

Just got an email from Emory saying that they are done with the interview process.....good luck to all
Was this a generic email or one specific to you? I interviewed there in Feb but did not get any such email

How many programs can we rank? Is it 10? Also some programs have different quotas for clinical and research tracks. My understanding is that we can rank one program for both clinical as well as research track but that means one such program will have to be ranked twice. Any opinion?
You can rank any number of programs

Any info about the program or the interview day?

Thanks

Hi Can any of you please tell me about the Nephrology program at University of Cincinnati.

Hi Can any of you please tell me about the Nephrology program at University of Cincinnati.
Hey Milwaukee Neph
Its a decent program, know a faculty member there, not the best of programs but depends on where else you are interviewing
By the way, I am from MKE too

i have an interview at geisinger this week...does anyone have any experiences they can share or have an info abt the program?

Anyone heard from this program? They are sending me an interview rather late now!
hello, did you interview at geisinger already? if so, how is the program?

Any thoughts on the west coast programs? what were your impressions? Which programs considered more malignant than others?