Repeal of the ACA, HCAHPS, Press-ganey, reimbursements.. etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Before anyone cries "unfair", remember everyone would have basic Medicare-light and could get treatment at the US-NIH hospitals. B/c of cost-control measures, you could provide the cheaper healthcare that Canada/France/UK blah blah blah always raves about. Basically, like a disseminated US-VA. Academic EP's could work there (making less, which already happens) as well as staffed by Residents, APP's, etc (with student loan forgiveness for working these hospitals)

As has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum, single-payer, NIH-style care cannot work in the U.S. due to our medical liability and legal system. The only way any "free" NIH system can work is by massively rationing care. I agree with rationing of care, however in this country the hospitals/doctors would get sued if there is any bad outcome due to the rationing. We can't reform the liability system, because as has been stated numerous times, the trial lawyers make bank off of suing doctors and hospitals. They also write big checks to government, and are the ones who make the laws. To think they would cut off a huge source of revenue is to be delusional.

The best option is private, patient/provider-run healthcare. We can have states decide how they want to handle the indigent or uninsurable patients. Is it a perfect system? Of course not, but no perfect system exists.

The Republican plan does little to address any of the issues that are currently making our system implode.

Members don't see this ad.

As has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum, single-payer, NIH-style care cannot work in the U.S. due to our medical liability and legal system. The only way any "free" NIH system can work is by massively rationing care. I agree with rationing of care, however in this country the hospitals/doctors would get sued if there is any bad outcome due to the rationing. We can't reform the liability system, because as has been stated numerous times, the trial lawyers make bank off of suing doctors and hospitals. They also write big checks to government, and are the ones who make the laws. To think they would cut off a huge source of revenue is to be delusional.

The best option is private, patient/provider-run healthcare. We can have states decide how they want to handle the indigent or uninsurable patients. Is it a perfect system? Of course not, but no perfect system exists.

The Republican plan does little to address any of the issues that are currently making our system implode.

The VA rations care and has limited malpractice, so it can be done. What you are saying is Americans don't want a UK or VA type system for everyone (again, w/ a secondary private system with those who can afford it, just like VA patients with secondary insurance). I'd agree with you in that America doesn't know what the hell it wants, only what it doesn't want, and that's part of the problem with the country. The only people who know what they want are the special interest groups (of which we are one as well), which is why legislation is dictated by lobbying.

The VA rations care and has limited malpractice, so it can be done. What you are saying is Americans don't want a UK or VA type system for everyone (again, w/ a secondary private system with those who can afford it, just like VA patients with secondary insurance). I'd agree with you in that America doesn't know what the hell it wants, only what it doesn't want, and that's part of the problem with the country. The only people who know what they want are the special interest groups (of which we are one as well), which is why legislation is dictated by lobbying.

I don't want a VA system because it provides inferior care and kills people through government abuse and neglect. Good luck getting malpractice liability protection for the other 99% of Americans. It's not happening.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want a VA system because it provides inferior care and kills people through government abuse and neglect. Good luck getting malpractice liability protection for the other 99% of Americans. It's not happening.

I don't want it either but that's what we can afford for those that don't pay extra.

And if congress passed a law establishing a low-tier baseline system of VA-like entities, they could (and should) also include extremely limited liability in that law.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't want it either but that's what we can afford for those that don't pay extra.

And if congress passed a law establishing a low-tier baseline system of VA-like entities, they could (and should) also include extremely limited liability in that law.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Welcome to fantasyland. For one, the Democrats are never going to go along with widespread tort reform nationally. They garner huge campaign contributions from lawyers. I have been a lobbyist for medical reform on Capitol Hill, and the Democratic representatives essentially tell us this.

The second point is that Democrats, at least the true believers want single payer. They don't want a universal system just for the poor. They really do want single payer and "equal" care for all Americans. The ACA was a big part of their plan to destroy the private insurance market, and drive people to a "public option" instead.