repeated courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRIANISONFIREE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i had recently posted a thread about my conditions and standings.
(2.785 gpa with only 33 hours in undergrad , having a F, D, and D replaced by All B's in chem 1 lecture, lab and precal, respectively.)
then it hit me hard, i was thinking to myself late at night about how dental schools would look at this, since they're all different. Taking into perspective my GPA without these replaced scores, I stand at a 2.395 GPA in 33 hours.
What are my chances now?
Do some dental schools disregard overall cum. gpa and strictly factor in repeated courses?
If so, which schools? (My biggest question of all on this thread)

Members don't see this ad.

Nope - schools look at your AADSAS calculated GPA, which includes all college coursework, including repeated courses. The good news is that you're only at 33 credit hours. You have many more to go and can bring your GPA up and salvage your chances at dental school. Many people realize their mistakes at 100+ credits, making their job of improving a GPA much more difficult.

Ok another mistake I Made. I am at 53 attempted hours(33 earned hours). I made a D or lower in 10 hours, and I withdrew from another 10 hours due to Mono. So thats where the other 20 hours are.
Does AADAS factor in W's as well?
I was playing with my gpa and it will take me 69 hoursto make it a 3.3(recieving 4,0) with the 53 credit hours
or 56 hours at 4.0 to get me to a 3.3 with the 43 credit hours if they dont coun't W;s

Members don't see this ad :)
My study skills are a lot better. All 10 credit hours come from my freshman year. And I have never been more inspired than ever and it keeps building. I'm treating school like my job right now. In the summer I plan on shadowing dentists and in my free time began studying organic so I can kick ass when I take it in the fall

Stop worrying about your GPA. You HAVE ALREADY MESSED it up completely. Instead, focus on studying. Give it the best you can. After a few more semester, self-evaluate your academic performance. If you still receive B's and C's, then choose something else, dentistry is not for you.

I agree, what's done is done. You need to just get a 3.5-4.0 each semester and you should be ok. All A's would be better. Schools look at trends as well, if they see you got a 4.0 in your last two years they will see that and take that into consideration when looking at your overall GPA. My overall GPA is a measly 3.29, but over the course of the last year I had a 4.0 and that is the only reason I will be attending dental school.