Repeating the year for academic reasons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runitskelly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...how common is it at other schools for students to repeat the entire year of the curriculum for academic reasons? Not including students who take a medical/personal leave of absence.

Members don't see this ad.

At UTK there are typically 5-7 (out of ~85) people who repeat at least a semester for poor grades at some point. Repeating the whole year is less common and only happens to the occasional person.

At Edinburgh, it happens to at least one person every year. Though the curriculum is a bit different... there is really only one exam per semester so if you fail that exam, you are given the opportunity to retake it in the summer. If you fail in the summer, then you retake that course you failed the next year. Which might be a whole semester or just part of a semester or if you failed both semesters it could be the whole year. Just depends on what you failed, but you only have to repeat what you fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my class at UCSF, I know of one person who had to repeat first year entirely (this student did end up graduating with the next class), and a few other first years whom I never saw again during second year but don't know the reason why they disappeared. In my experience UCSF tends to be on the more forgiving side for problems in first and second year (I was technically in that boat myself, luckily I didn't have to repeat anything!), but is very quick to dismiss students who have problems in third year.

I think AVC averages about 1 person per year (class size 60-65) who have to repeat. We've acquired 2 from the year ahead of us and lost 1 to the year behind us.

RVC had quite a few that repeated a year in my class. Thankfully, I never had to repeat a year, I just had to re-sit one exam.

For the most typical case - say, a student who fails a class one semester - the most common action at UMN is to have them repeat that class. So no, they typically wouldn't repeat the *full* year; they'd be gone for a semester and then start up again next semester and take only the class they failed, and then they'd pick up like any other student with a full load the following semester. It can get more complicated (for instance, two D's equals an F and you'd retake both those classes), but the most straightforward cases is 'retake what you failed and then progress on'. A student may be asked to retake other classes they did poorly in, but in general it's "repeat what you failed".

This can actually work against you if you've got a large loan debt, because loan payments can kick in if you don't have at least ... what ... a half-time load? Something like that. Occasionally I've seen the school able to swing things so that you can pick up some electives in your 'off' semester - enough to keep your loans in deferment, but that really only works if you're at the right spot in the curriculum where there electives available that you could take.

I sat on our school's student promotions committee for a year, so I saw firsthand how the decision-making works, and in general, I feel like UMN is very, very willing to work with students to come up with a common-sense, reasonable remediation plan. I was super impressed with the thoughtfulness they gave the cases we saw. It was definitely not an adversarial kind of approach.

Usually 1-2 people have to repeat the entire year from each class here (OVC).

Oklahoma had 9 that didn't pass 1st year last year.

1 F at Mizzou and you are done. You can apply to be readmitted but they really only let people back of there was something going on in their life that impacted their grades.. And if let back in, they start from ground zero. They also have a limit on the # of credit hours of D's we can get- only 9... Any more and you are also done, but can then petition to be let back in.. Not really sure what happens at that point.

1 F at Mizzou and you are done. You can apply to be readmitted but they really only let people back of there was something going on in their life that impacted their grades.. And if let back in, they start from ground zero. They also have a limit on the # of credit hours of D's we can get- only 9... Any more and you are also done, but can then petition to be let back in.. Not really sure what happens at that point.

I was surprised when I first learned this since it seemed more common to allow some sort of remediation attempt before dismissal.

I was surprised when I first learned this since it seemed more common to allow some sort of remediation attempt before dismissal.
Yea, I haven't heard of a school that is as strict as Mizzou.. It is something that hangs over people's heads if they aren't doing well- especially after first year bc physio is a 5 hour class and our class had numerous D's from physio.

Iowa used to be the same - if you flunked any course, you had to start over from the beginning of first year and take all courses over again (even if you flunked a course in third year). If you flunked another course, you were out. Of course, it is so expensive to start over the entire curriculum that no one ever did it. Basically, if anyone flunked a course, they left (and there were a few). Not sure if they've decided to be more lenient nowadays.