Replacing a LOR after primary submission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howieh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have submitted my primary 2 weeks ago (thus also the LORs assignments), but it's not verified yet.

One of my referees suddenly became unavailable (she hasn't sent in the LOR yet). Luckily I have found a replacement....

But how do I delete the old LOR assignment and assign the new LOR to each school?

Looks like AMCAS doesn't allow me to change LOR assignment once the primary was submitted.

Members don't see this ad.

I have submitted my primary 2 weeks ago (thus also the LORs assignments), but it's not verified yet.

One of my referees suddenly became unavailable (she hasn't sent in the LOR yet). Luckily I have found a replacement....

But how do I delete the old LOR assignment and assign the new LOR to each school?

Looks like AMCAS doesn't allow me to change LOR assignment once the primary was submitted.

You mark the original one as "no longer being submitted" and create a new entry for the new letter.

You mark the original one as "no longer being submitted" and create a new entry for the new letter.

After creating the new entry, can I then simply assign the letter to each school on AMCAS, or do I have to call each school and let them know the change?

Members don't see this ad :)
After creating the new entry, can I then simply assign the letter to each school on AMCAS, or do I have to call each school and let them know the change?

The bolded. The process is the same as it is before you submitted; there is no need to contact your schools unless their secondary application required that you indicate who, specifically, will be providing your letters.

The bolded. The process is the same as it is before you submitted; there is no need to contact your schools unless their secondary application required that you indicate who, specifically, will be providing your letters.

Thanks mauberley,

Just to make sure that this still holds true after the primary is verified and before secondaries are submitted?

Well...I added the referee, and sent him the Letter Request Form.

But then after I logged out AMCAS and logged back in, the entry disappears from the "Letters of Evaluation" section...As if I didn't add him. Strange...:confused: Did I do something wrong here? I haven't assigned him to any school yet, could that be the problem?

Well...I added the referee, and sent him the Letter Request Form.

But then after I logged out AMCAS and logged back in, the entry disappears from the "Letters of Evaluation" section...As if I didn't add him. Strange...:confused: Did I do something wrong here? I haven't assigned him to any school yet, could that be the problem?

If these things disappear, it's likely because you did not save and recertify.