reply to med school dean (dean davis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys? Have you ever emailed a dean? Such as dean davis from penn state? Is this appropriate? Do they ever respond? The one from Columbia and Yale seem very nice and like to talk to students, but whenever I try to call, I can't. How do you guys contact the dean?

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote him a letter. However I didn't get a reply.

I have emailed a dean in the near past (not the one you are refering to), and I received a prompt response. If you can't get through otherwise, the least you can do is try emailing. I don't think it can hurt, especially if you have a very pertinent concern/question.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you dont mid my asking: when you contacted the dean (or for those who intend on contacting a dean) what do you plan on asking/telling them? is this a sort-of intent/update notice? thanks.

I want to be very honest with him. My father has leukemia and I would like to know an answer about medical school because of family stuff. It is difficult to explain, but there are some things that I need to arrange if I am not going to be at home with my dad. Also, I wanted to tell him my sincere interest in the school and why I believe that I am a good candidate. I have worked so hard at Duke and done well. I can't explain my fustration but I feel I am almost in a school and I just need to push a little in my direction. I do not think I will email him, but maybe I will have the guts later. There are people getting off the waitlist at Penn state, and I just have this feeling that it will never be me because I am not that lucky.

My suggestion is - you have nothing to lose - go for it. When I interviewed at Penn State, I had a good feeling about Dean Davis and I would think he'd be OK with hearing directly from applicants. Tell him what you just said in your last post, and see what happens. I wish you the best of luck - and as the Nike logo says - Just Do It!

Dukee,
Check your PMs!

hey dukee, i'm very sorry to hear about your father. i think that it wouldn't hurt for you to contact the dean at penn state. however, it might be better if you called him, rather then send an email. even if he can't accept you right away, he will probably be more inclined to tell you how good your chances are. maybe you could call Lisa at mcp too. i wish you the best of luck. :)

Dukee, are you on the wait list at MCP, too? I think they are much more receptive to wait listees wanting to talk with them. Once, I e-mailed Lisa and got an answer the same day. At least if you do contact them and get in, you'll have one in the bag. Then you'll know you'll be going somewhere in the fall, prep your family for the change, and can still continue to pursue PSU.
I also agree with Cityivy about telling admissions about your father. And don't lose hope yet!

I agree. Call the dean, not email. I've had to call a dean at a top 3 last year, and I hadn't even applied yet. I just told them I am a potential candidate, and they let me through! And he was wonderfully supportive with my problem. Deans are people too. I suggest the more personal you get with them, the more they will remember you and might have a say in your acceptance. What do you have to lose? Giving him a call can only work in your favor. But make sure you are appreciative of him, thank him for talking to you even though this is a busy part of the cycle.

I am sorry to hear about your father. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.
Tweetie

I agree. Dean Davis seems like a really humane, sensitive person. You could at least call the office and explain your situation and ask to make a phone appointment (even the admin assistants are really kind!).

you guys are very nice. It is something I assure nobody has to go through, because it is so painful and so uncertain. Thanks for the good wishes. He needs all the prayers he can get...

D

monchi, no I have not heard from MCP. Still waiting...