Reply to thank you note

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RinShanKaiHo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question: how often do interviewers and admission staff reply to your thank you note?
I got one reply and my heart deeply want to tend to think that it is something good about my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They are just being courteous.

Don't read into it. Many people reply, many don't.

id imagine gonnif would say this is pointless to read into. que sera sera

on a related note, ive seen plenty of people misjudge the receptiveness / friendliness of their interviewever only to get rejected. its best to not make any assumptions or you will set yourself up for possible disappointment

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI, the interview isn't standalone. It's not a final challenge where you either win and get in or lose and get rejected, like some make it out to be. A post-interview acceptance/waitlist/rejection decision is made using your entire application. You can bomb an interview and still get accepted, and slay an interview and still get waitlisted or rejected.

Basically, trying to interpret how well you interact with your interviewer(s) (who are only part of the larger committee who will decide your fate) is even more irrelevant than trying to interpret how well you did in the interview.

What if the response was very deep and said something like "I hope to see you in the fall"?
What if the interviewer is the head of some dept? Does the title of the interviewer matter?

Last edited:
What if the response was very deep and said something like "I hope to see you in the fall"?
What if the interviewer is the head of some dept? Does the title of the interview matter?

Possibly saying "I hope" because the decision is not theirs to make. They give their evaluation, and the decision is up to the committee as a whole.

Reactions: 1 users
What if the interviewer is the head of some dept? Does the title of the interview matter?

'I hope to see you in the fall' could still be a courteous ending message he sends in response to every thank you note he/she gets

'I hope to see you in the fall' could still be a courteous ending message he sends in response to every thank you note he/she gets
Trust me, the response I got wasn't generic at all. But you are right, he's part of a huge committee.

I strong concur with the above the interviewer coukd love you but in this Olympic like competition, you just maybe a fraction behind the medal winners. Even more so, if the interviewer thought you were great and you didnt get simply due to the competition, he/she may want to write you a strong note letting you know how good they thought of you. So like everything else in the black box of admission, trying to divine signs and read tea leaves is nearly futile

I think you are exaggerating the competitiveness of the process.

I have a quick question: how often do interviewers and admission staff reply to your thank you note?
I got one reply and my heart deeply want to tend to think that it is something good about my application.
Come back to Earth, please. They're simply being polite.

I always will response to an email thank you, even for people I outright rejected as soon as I left the interview room.

In application settings I've always taken excessive kindness as a bad sign. I see it as conciliatory as a result of not getting whatever I applied for.