Reported a failed Step and still matched?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1148566

I know this has been asked a lot but I rarely hear of anyone who has failed STEP, reported it without a retake, AND still matched somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

As a DO, You have a very high chance of not matching with a reported failed step 1 or 2 without a successful retake. I mean that should be common sense at this point.

Edit: Even with a successful retake you still have a significant chance of not matching. So I don't know what anyone is expecting by reporting a failed attempt without a retake.

As a DO, You have a very high chance of not matching with a reported failed step 1 or 2 without a successful retake. I mean that should be common sense at this point.

Edit: Even with a successful retake you still have a significant chance of not matching. So I don't know what anyone is expecting by reporting a failed attempt without a retake.
I think the implied question based on the OP’s other active thread is passed level 1 and 2, but also reporting a failed step 1 without retake. Based on the conflicting guidance on whether or not you have to report USMLE if you passed comlex

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the implied question based on the OP’s other active thread is passed level 1 and 2, but also reporting a failed step 1 without retake. Based on the conflicting guidance on whether or not you have to report USMLE if you passed comlex
Yes, this is what I'm asking. I don't believe that everyone who has failed step before has taken it again.

You'd still be hurting your chances significantly by reporting a failed step 1 or 2 even if you passed Level 1 and 2 with flying colors.

Reactions: 1 user
You'd still be hurting your chances significantly by reporting a failed step 1 or 2 even if you passed Level 1 and 2 with flying colors.
that may be the case. I just wanted to get an idea from anyone else who has done it that way. Or if there are others who decided not to report STEP but got in trouble later.

Just check the charting outcome and tell me how many DOs with a reported failed step 1 or 2 matched into their preferred specialty.

Last edited:
that may be the case. I just wanted to get an idea from anyone else who has done it that way. Or if there are others who decided not to report STEP but got in trouble later.
Screenshot_20221130_214302_Office.jpg
Screenshot_20221130_214405_Office.jpg

This is what it looked like in the 2022 match

Well, you won't hear personal success stories when there are close to none.

I failed level 2 and still matched if you wanna see my personal success story. Here was my original thread. I fell really low on my rank list, but I had to play the numbers game in order to succeed. If I reported my failure right away, I probably wouldn't have matched.

In other words, DO NOT reports your failed step 1. As a DO, you're not in any way shape or form required to report it. Better to put your best foot forward and go with only Level 1 and 2. You're not doing yourself any favor by reporting it. This was confirm with ERAS and NRMP that DO students do not have to report USMLE exams if they do not want to. If a program cares about Step, they won't invite you anyway without it, and by reporting a failure you remove yourself in the running for both programs that do care and those that don't because PDs are just looking for any reason to throw away applications because they receive many good ones already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
In other words, DO NOT reports your failed step 1. As DO, you're in any way shape or form required to report it. Better to put your best foot forward and go with only Level 1 and 2. You're doing yourself any favor by reporting it. This was confirm with ERAS and NRMP that DO students do not have to report USMLE exams if they do not want to.
Actually I contacted NRMP and was told we do have to report. It is in fact a match violation to not report. You can check my other post

This is not written anywhere in the NRMP rules.
As section 6.4 of the Match Participation Agreement for Applicants reads in part:

“the omission of any information pertinent to a program’s decision to rank an applicant may be deemed a violation of this Agreement. The applicant is responsible for disclosing any information regarding, among other things, the ability to satisfy program requirements; circumstances that may delay or adversely impact an applicant’s ability to commence training with a matched program on the program’s start date; or information relevant to licensure status or visa status.”

This is not written anywhere in the NRMP rules.

This is OP’s other thread which poses the same problem which had been discussed at length.

You're not violating any of the rules in section 6.4. Like I said if a program cares about USMLE, they won't invite you for an interview anyway.

Let’s keep discussion about what the NRMP rules do or don’t mean in the other thread, and let this thread be for reporting personal experiences. No need to rehash the same discussion that has already occurred in the other thread

Reactions: 4 users

Check the charting the outcomes for DO's for your specific field. At least for EM, match data was still pretty good for students with Step 1 scores in the 191-200 range (14 matched, 2 didn't). For reference, I believe 196 was passing. But EM is less competitive these days, and also has notoriously been more forgiving of boards when students have good SLOEs (EM standardized letters of rec).

For Psych that number was 10 match/3 unmatch btw 191-200. Under 191, only 2 applied and both went unmatched.

With Step 1 going P/F, in future years this should be easier to interpret.

I'll tell you straight up that if i saw anyone applying to my residency with passes on levels 1 and 2 and a failed step 1 without retake, I'd appreciate their honesty but wouldn't rank at all

Reactions: 6 users