Reporting traffic violation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brokeninnosense

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations (moving violations includes speeding tickets) ? If yes, please explain fully below.

I don't want to answer this wrong. I recently got in a car accident, but was never cited (given a ticket). No cops were involved at all. However, we did go through insurance to get the cars repaired. I believe this is on my permanent driving record, but I didn't violate any traffic laws. Do I answer yes or no?

Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious, what is this for?

To answer your question: No. If you weren't given a ticket you wouldn't report it. That would be like listing all the times you illegally drank underage but weren't arrested.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would know if you got a citation because a cop would have handed you a yellow (or pink in some states) slip of paper. You're good. FYI, AMCAS requires that you report misdemeanors and felonies, not citations. Some moving violations are misdemeanors, though, depending on local and state laws.

Thanks everyone. Just wanted to be sure. And this was for Cincinnati's secondary, but I wanted to know if general for other secondaries as well!

Nobody will ever find out. Why would you need to report traffic violations on a med school applications? Do they want to know if you're a serial parking violator or something?

If speeding, failing to yield to pedestrians, failing to yield the right of way, etc are misdemeanors in Ohio it could be that the school just wants to match up what you report with what's on your Criminal Background Check. Its all nice and tidy if the two match and no judgment is needed meaning a low level clerk can do the job.

If it is a horrible thing that you did, then you won't get an interview in the first place.

If speeding, failing to yield to pedestrians, failing to yield the right of way, etc are misdemeanors in Ohio it could be that the school just wants to match up what you report with what's on your Criminal Background Check. Its all nice and tidy if the two match and no judgment is needed meaning a low level clerk can do the job.

If it is a horrible thing that you did, then you won't get an interview in the first place.

I know for a fact moving violations are minor misdemeanors in Ohio (had to do this all myself a couple years ago) which is why they're wanting to make sure you report it like LizzyM said. Stay on top of this for reporting in general as it does fall under the "have you been convicted/pled guilty to any misdemeanors" section if you've gotten a ticket in a state that has these laws.