required books for prepration for mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ali3400

Reaction score
How can i prepare for MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I just posted a thread about this earlier, but I’m selling a full set of The Princeton Review subject books if you may be interested. They’re brand new and have never been used. I originally signed up for their “Ultimate MCAT” prep course online, but I found out I was accepted to school literally the next day.

The books are subject by subject content review for things you will see throughout the test and they’re especially nice because of how organized they are. They tell you all about the test as well.

First off, everyone is different, so some flexibility is required. Before I started studying I scoured Reddit and SDN for all the input I could find. I threw away input from people who scored badly or who studied far less time than I was planning. I looked at the different books that my big sib and her friends were using to find what matched me. After trying questions in all of them and comparing what I liked to the various study plans I found, it ends up that the most common plan for successful people at SDN happened to match my preferences perfectly. So needless to say, I was pretty psyched. I've been at it for four months, although only the last month has been hardcore.

Study for six or so weeks, doing any reading you need and as many passages as you can fit into your life.

CARS: EK and TPR are really good. Their passages do not match with AAMC perfectly, but they are good passages and their study suggestions and test strategies resonate well with me.

C/P: TBR by a landslide. Don't do anything else even if the material is free. Their explanations are the very best thing I have found anywhere. They have amazing shortcuts and their strategies are pure gold.

P/S: I really like TPR so far, but there may be other materials that are just as good. I like how it's organized and the way they present theories and experiments. Their passages feel different than AAMC though, so make sure you do plenty of other materials. I have barely started into Khan passages and they seem good so far.

B/B: I'm using TBR and have enjoyed them so far. The organic book is a godsend, as it presents biochemistry integrated into organic chemistry. It is an absolute must. I like the passages in the biology book because they really make you think. The reading in the biology books is general good, but does get bogged down at times. I needed a little extra help in biology (my genetics and molecular biology is weak), so they have been a good fit for me.

Practice: After completing the passages in the review books, you'll need to start into the AAMC section banks and question packs. They don't have the greatest explanations, but if you've reviewed well and done all of the passages in the books listed above, then you will be fine with their explanations.

Exams: I chose to do the unscored AAMC exam early to see what their passages and questions were like. I was told to do this by many people, so despite my reservations, I spent an AAMC exam early. I'm really glad I did as it helped me notice the type of questions that bothered me. I plan to do five commercial exams (leaning towards mixing EK, Altius, and TBR) and the three scored AAMC exams. Any exams I don't take as FLs, I will do as section banks. I will report back after my MCAT to see if this plan worked.

Good luck in setting up your plan. It seems arduous at first, but after about three days you get completely used to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The dude has a 4.0 so I don't think his suggestions will work for me. He would have nailed the MCAT no matter what he used. I looked at many videos like this one and in the end, it always came back to people who did the most passages, reviewed the best answer explanations, and learned the most strategies for doing well, did the best.

Reactions: 1 user
The dude has a 4.0 so I don't think his suggestions will work for me. He would have nailed the MCAT no matter what he used. I looked at many videos like this one and in the end, it always came back to people who did the most passages, reviewed the best answer explanations, and learned the most strategies for doing well, did the best.

Some of his tips could be helpful. E.g. on prioritizing content

Never even thought of that before