Required courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulgirl

Class of 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone help me with this:
I still have to finish one half course in Organic Chem, in order to have my pre-reqs for some schools. Is it still possible to get an interview if your pre-reqs are "in progress" ie: I will finish the orgo course in 2004.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes - as long as it is completed prior to matriculation, you should be all right. Make sure you indicate it in you application whether the course in "in progress" or "planned".

Thanks for your help!
sorry, just another question: Do the dental schools care if I took the required course at an University or a College?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lower-level courses at a junior college are generally fine, but upper-level classes should be taken at a four-year institution if at all possible. IUSD's policy is that no more than 60 hours may be from junior colleges, and "applicants are strongly encouraged to take upper-level courses at a four-year institution." Good luck!

THANKS aphistis

BU wants a full year course in Organic Chemistry. I have only one half course and I want to take the other half course at a community college. Its a second year orgo course.

Any advice or suggestion!!

Do you think I should contact the school and ask?

Shooting from the hip, I'd say second-year organic is something to take at a four-year.

BUT. When in doubt, ask. Finding out straight from their admissions department beats any of the opinions you'll get here ;)

you are awesome....thank you for all your help aphistis!

Taking it at a community college won't hurt you, unless you are currently enrolled at a 4-year institution. Then the adcoms are going to wonder why you are "dumbing down" your course.

Hi again,

I graduate from University 2 years ago and just realized that I have all the required courses, besides half course in Organic Chemistry for BU. Therefore, I just have to take this half course at a community college. All my other courses are already complete. So that is why I am not sure if that is alright with them. I will call and ask. But it looks like I might be ok.

Thanks though!

hopeful,

Given your situation I would take it at the community college unless you can easily gain admission back into your 4-year school (or another 4-year school).

I think most schools will NOT let you take just one class after you graduate unless you are working towards a masters or something, so the community college might be your only option.

Gavin,

A number of graduates from colleges/universities go back to their alma mater later on; it's as often a class or two, for career or personal advancement, as it is for a second degree. Per-credit-hour fees exist for that very purpose, to accommodate students who don't want or need to take a full load.

I see. My alma mater allows no such thing, so I wasn't aware of that. Then again, they already have 34,000 students enrolled, so the last thing they want is students taking one or two courses.

You are both right and I seriously appreciate your advice/help....thank you. Its one course and to register for it at an University is such a hassle. That is why I really prefer going to a community college. I will speak with BU tomorrow and I cross my fingers that it is fine with them.

Just hopping to get an interview. I was on their waiting list last year but there was no room. Plus I have to take this required course this year before I can start Dental school in fall 2004.

Best wishes to everyone!