Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Or you can just transition over to the lounge. I float around around a bunch of the areas on SDN. Particularly the osteopathic, allopathic, lounge, surgical, and radiology. I like to get a wide breadth of information, and sometimes I can offer a viewpoint. When it comes to life experiences that I don't have knowledge about I always TRY to kind of buffer and mention that or just shut up and read....sometimes it is just to put a sarcastic comment that doesn't help anything, but hopefully lightens up the tone a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

I understood DO schools to require a LOR from a practicing DO, but I've also heard some people say that while most schools do REQUIRE it, others would like to see one but it is not required. Does anyone know which schools do not require a DO letter? I know it strengthens an overall application, but I have not shadowed a DO yet and I'm not sure if I've got the time to get anything worthwhile out of it (I'd hate to ask someone to be receptive to shadowing simply for the ends itself: "Thanks sir. Now, could you write me a letter to say I shadowed?")

I understood DO schools to require a LOR from a practicing DO, but I've also heard some people say that while most schools do REQUIRE it, others would like to see one but it is not required. Does anyone know which schools do not require a DO letter? I know it strengthens an overall application, but I have not shadowed a DO yet and I'm not sure if I've got the time to get anything worthwhile out of it (I'd hate to ask someone to be receptive to shadowing simply for the ends itself: "Thanks sir. Now, could you write me a letter to say I shadowed?")

The CIB lists application requirements for each school, including what types of LORs they expect. Enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
The CIB lists application requirements for each school, including what types of LORs they expect. Enjoy.

Off topic: I love Turk. I hope if/when I go to med school and become a resident, there really are people like him out there.

Don't osteopaths control the weather?

I, on the other hand, chose to make fun of the OP publicly and then PM the real/useful response privately.

It is what is known as a win win win situation (I hope you guys watch the office).

but what if we wanted a win-win-WIN situation?

Which movie character is more osteopathic, and why: yoda or Mr. Miyagi?

That question was asked of me on one secondary application. They really want you to be able to understand osteopathism, beyond what you read on the websites.

I have to disagree with A-train here, and go for my man, Miyagi. He is mos def the man. His style of fighting was all-encampassing, defensive oriented, and all about harnessing your chi. (breaking the ice? fighting blind?) Plus, he would never knock you out, just honk your nose. That's the love only an osteopath would have.