Reschedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gibsonsg75

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just started exploring this site and I'm really glad something like this exists! I am scheduled to take the MCAT on Jan 31 and have been taking a Kaplan course since the fall. I'm thinking I might want to reschedule the exam until the March 28 date, but I wanted to get a second opinion...

I have been studying like crazy, and don't feel burned out, but my scores are just not acceptable. I have taken 4 practice exams, 2 kaplans (20 and 22) and 2 aamc (20 and 22). I have a whole schedule worked out where I'm taking 7 or 8 more tests before Jan 31, but I just don't see how I could expect to gain 6 or so more points in a mere 3 weeks. When I go back and look at my wrong answers (especially on physical sciences), I check to see how many more questions it would have taken to get a 10. Let's call it 12 more questions. Then I go through my wrong answers and I usually am able to find 12 questions that I feel I did know the answer too, but just didn't do it correctly on the test. So I feel like it's not a matter of not knowing the material necessarily, but just exposure to practice tests.

The last date to reschedule is next Sat (17th), so I am planning on taking 3 more tests before then (2 Kaplans on Monday and Wednesday, and an AAMC on Saturday morning). If I am just plateauing in that range, I feel like it is not worth taking the Jan 31 test. At this point I don't feel it's realistic to expect an 8 point increase in 3 weeks. Any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely reschedule and stop using your practice tests. Also, a score that low usually indicates content weaknesses. After you fix your weak areas, pound away at doing tons of timed practice problems in preparation for your March test date. Lastly, remember that you missed those questions for a reason, don't dismiss them as flukes.

I'm also scheduled to take the MCAT on January 31st but am strongly debating pushing it back to March. My scores are somewhat where I want them to be, however I've only been studying hardcore for less than a month so I'm probably going to postpone because it's such a time crunch and can probably do better in March.
I agree with SN2ed (who made me realize how immature/nerdy i am after laughing at the name haha) that you seem to be having an issue with content right now. You know the material, but are having trouble recalling it under pressure. I think you can only benefit from practice tests once you have the basics of most of the material out of the way, so you may be wasting your tests. Basically, it's a mix of not knowing the content well ENOUGH, and application to practice tests. Rather than wasting passages maybe try single subject tests.
I would reschedule (I hate how the date is January 17th.. If it was the 24th I wouldn't be completely lost about whehter or not to reschedule) to March. You'll have a solid 2 months to study, I'd focus the first month on going through content again and the second dedicated to practicing