Rescission of Offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That was all I really needed "advice" on and I didn't think it "strange" to ask that of a group of people, regardless of age, who collectively have an enormous amount of knowledge of the med school admissions process.

Oh come on. It is a little strange! Who else's parents are posting on a premed internet forum? And what's with all the "quotes" buddy.

And Guju I hope you didn't think I was hating on Humble. I usually defend him! I don't hate anybody!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh come on. It is a little strange! Who else's parents are posting on a premed internet forum? And what's with all the "quotes" buddy.

And Guju I hope you didn't think I was hating on Humble. I usually defend him! I don't hate anybody!

No I was referring to people in general. :laugh: :laugh:

And there have been parents who have posted on here before. Yet, this post is particularly strange and also weird because the person doesn't refer to the student as "my son/daughter/child" but as "the student". He even admits its his child in question, so why not just use those words rather then "the student".

To the person that said he came off as a troll, yeah I agree with you but didn't say it out loud at first.

I'm with you. I think maybe MSTPDad is a little over-involved in the whole process. We're talking about a person who is just about to graduate from college. It's time he took care of stuff himself instead of having his dad oversee everything in his life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Given the OP's posting history, he doesn't seem very much like your typical troll. Plus, he's probably just referring to his child as "the student" to avoid identifying his child by gender in an attempt to preserve some anonymity.

I wouldn't call this person a troll....I heard this really happened.... so I assume it's this kid they were talking about

I wouldn't call this person a troll....I heard this really happened.... so I assume it's this kid they were talking about

Did you hear exactly what was said?

Wow, the first thing I heard when I walked back in the lacture hall was, "Hey, did you hear about the MSTP kid getting his offer taking away?" It was apparently the topic of conversatin at a Dean's lunch today...

Wow, the first thing I heard when I walked back in the lacture hall was, "Hey, did you hear about the MSTP kid getting his offer taking away?" It was apparently the topic of conversatin at a Dean's lunch today...

Oooh, confirmation. This person didn't get his/her info from SDN, I hope? That would be some circular rumor perpetuation right there.

Oooh, confirmation. This person didn't get his/her info from SDN, I hope? That would be some circular rumor perpetuation right there.

No, this is confirmed...

Can you give us the details?

sick sick sick! Post up the details! Christ hearing this is almost better than getting an acceptance letter!

Members don't see this ad :)
As for the event - it was another second look attendee that complained? I can't believe that's enforceable grounds for rescission.

I'm pretty sure Duke can do whatever the hell they want whenever the hell they want to.

The beauty of being Private institution. Why else do you think Augusta National golf course didn't have to let any black people in until like two years ago?

The thing is that I do not really know any details, and some of the things I heard I do not really feel comfortable sharing. I just heard dude was being a general turd. Someone asked the MTSP students and they told him what was up. Then today after lunch someone said that it was the topic of conversation at a student lunch [where a Dean is present...so it isn't exactly a gossip zone of unsubstantiated things]. So as for juicy details, I do not have any. All I know is that the story is pretty much confirmed.

LMAO at PennyBridge!!!

And WOW JUST WOW at the OP's child's story!!! Since you say its true, I'll take your word for it Dookter since I think you are already in med school right?? At Duke right?? I seem to recall such from somewhere. Why do people lack common sense, logical sense, and down right common courtesy?? You'd think the kid would have had the common sense not to behave rudely or been drinking in the first place at a second look weekend in a PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL. Med school demands a lot of Professionalism which seems to be lacking. I hope he/she learned from their experience even if they get in at another school.

The thing is that I do not really know any details, and some of the things I heard I do not really feel comfortable sharing.

Booo!!! j/k, I understand :laugh:

I just heard dude was being a general turd. Someone asked the MTSP students and they told him what was up. Then today after lunch someone said that it was the topic of conversation at a student lunch [where a Dean is present...so it isn't exactly a gossip zone of unsubstantiated things]. So as for juicy details, I do not have any. All I know is that the story is pretty much confirmed.

So he was tanked at a student lunch? :thumbdown:

i hope the student in question doesnt decide to be an anesthegiologist...or wait maybe i do??

As for the topic at hand, I'm sure Duke is just hyper sensitive (for the right or wrong reasons) about anything remotely racist, sexist, etc. Clearly, the lacrosse students had that sort of an impact on the school, and while the OP's Son/Daughter (but I'm guessing son because us guys are only dumb enough to do that sort of thing generally) probably did not have malicious intentions, he nonetheless will take the hit for Duke's stance.

It really is an unfortunate thing to have happen, but I hope that he learns from his mistake and can take it for what it's worth.

You'd think the kid would have had the common sense not to behave rudely or been drinking in the first place at a second look weekend in a PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL.
Uh, aren't most folks drinking at second look weekend's? The guy must've done something wrong, but I woudn't slam him just for drinking at a second look. I think most folks do.

Uh, aren't most folks drinking at second look weekend's? The guy must've done something wrong, but I woudn't slam him just for drinking at a second look. I think most folks do.
are you kidding? med students never drink. this guy is clearly not cut out for med school. Professional students are just that: PROFESSIONAL.

For those who didn't catch it before, this student is a guy. Here are posts 12 and 15 of this thread.

Actually the reason for School A's rescission was not related to anything on the application, academic performance, dishonesty, any misrepresentation or any criminal activity of any kind whatsoever. Instead it dealt with statements made by the student at second look in a social context (he was drunk) which caused the school to rethink whether it wanted the student in its med school. It is my understanding that the school reserves the absolute right to do so for any reasons it deems appropriate.

I guess my most narrow question is a technical one: When School B looks up the other acceptances the student has, will the computer simply not list School A or will it flag School A as having made and then rescinded its offer? If the answer is that it will show the rescission then the student better be ready to talk about the circumstances and make a case for himself when he goes to his next second look (where, btw, he will be a teetotaler).

The student revieved the rescission letter today by FedEx. It was signed by the Dean of Admissions and seems very final. The student sent a heartfelt apology immediately but has accepted his fate as to that school (which was, before today, his first choice).

He is now in damage control mode.

are you kidding? med students never drink. this guy is clearly not cut out for med school. Professional students are just that: PROFESSIONAL.

I didn't say they never drink. Obviously they drink but there is an appropriate time and place for everything.

hahaha ya us med students are super human robots who just do work...riiiiight:laugh:

I didn't say they never drink. Obviously they drink but there is an appropriate time and place for everything.
Like a second-look or orientation week? Just don't get blasted. Like I did at orientation week. Whoops.

Booo!!! j/k, I understand :laugh:

So he was tanked at a student lunch? :thumbdown:

No, it was the topic of conversation of the medical students at a Dean's lunch (aka, the med students have lunch with their dean every week, and this is what they were talking about this week).

No, it was the topic of conversation of the medical students at a Dean's lunch (aka, the med students have lunch with their dean every week, and this is what they were talking about this week).

Oh, my bad. I misread that.

Like a second-look or orientation week? Just don't get blasted. Like I did at orientation week. Whoops.

There are two types of people:

1.) Those who say/do obnoxious sh** while drunk, and
2.) Those who don't

There's no one in between.

You're allowed to get blasted at 2nd look or orientation of you're type 1. But I can't imagine this is the first time this kid ever got obnoxious beyond reason while boozing. He should have expected this and prevented it from happening.

i hope the student in question doesnt decide to be an anesthegiologist...or wait maybe i do??

As for the topic at hand, I'm sure Duke is just hyper sensitive (for the right or wrong reasons) about anything remotely racist, sexist, etc. Clearly, the lacrosse students had that sort of an impact on the school, and while the OP's Son/Daughter (but I'm guessing son because us guys are only dumb enough to do that sort of thing generally) probably did not have malicious intentions, he nonetheless will take the hit for Duke's stance.

It really is an unfortunate thing to have happen, but I hope that he learns from his mistake and can take it for what it's worth.

Random thought. Maybe the poopy/offensive comments were ABOUT the lacrosse case? Like maybe he was making fun of Duke or something?

that is very true. He could have insulted the school in a way that was inappropriate, and they could have reacted...I'm not sure why people just don't amke the case public so we could all weigh in...

2.) Those who don't

You're allowed to get blasted at 2nd look or orientation of you're type 1. But I can't imagine this is the first time this kid ever got obnoxious beyond reason while boozing. He should have expected this and prevented it from happening.

If you are type 1, also note that should you get drunk & obnoxious with your classmates at any time during your med school career, it will likely be memorialized forever in pictures/stories/video on the internet. Then some gunner in your class will 'helpfully' forward it to the PD's at the competitive residencies you're trying for. :mad: There are some people in my class, and in the class ahead of me, who are VERY sorry they didn't realize this earlier.

If you are type 1, also note that should you get drunk & obnoxious with your classmates at any time during your med school career, it will likely be memorialized forever in pictures/stories/video on the internet. Then some gunner in your class will 'helpfully' forward it to the PD's at the competitive residencies you're trying for. :mad: There are some people in my class, and in the class ahead of me, who are VERY sorry they didn't realize this earlier.

wow, I can hear your school's USNews ranking ascend through my internet tube.

Like a second-look or orientation week? Just don't get blasted.
Good advice. In a lot of crowds, including mine, if you're not drinking, it's sooner assumed that you're in recovery than a teetotaler.

2.) Those who don't

Nonsense. That's dangerous thinking. It's more like:

2.) Those who haven't

It's wishful thinking to think that one day you won't say/do something obnoxious while drunk. If you keep on drinking, one day you will. The key is to have those embarassing moments around good friends, not colleagues.

OMG why would they do that? Gosh I'm a competitive person but I could never even imagine doing that to someone:( I can't even believe that really happens.

I was just thinking about this:

How can a guy be so smart and get into a MD/PhD program(like Duke's) and yet be so stupid?

2.) Those who haven't

It's wishful thinking to think that one day you won't say/do something obnoxious while drunk. If you keep on drinking, one day you will. The key is to have those embarassing moments around good friends, not colleagues.

Yep, very true. That's why being drunk is considered impairment. True, some people go nuts when they drink. But nobody is immune to being completely out of line while drunk...

:beat:
just wanted to post this smiley, plus I think it's relevant.

2.) Those who haven't

Oooh, put me in #1. Last year's birthday was a great example of that, but it wasn't at second look, and it didn't affect my med school. Suffice it to say though, I'm happy with just a buzz now.

2.) Those who haven't

mmm, okay, maybe you're right. But I'm just saying if you're type 2, and you've already had 127 successful drinking adventures, somehow you've figured out how to keep yourself in line even while impaired and drinking adventure #128 wil in all likelihood be successful as well. But I will give you that perhaps it'd be best to not test those waters in the context of a 2nd look weekend. (Though, I'll tell you, I consider myself to be a type 2 and I played the odds at my last 2nd look and likely will again this weekend for my next 2nd look.)

My main point was that our MSTP friend here was almost certainly a type 1, and most type 1s know that this is a feature of their personality and make decisions accordingly.

My main point was that our MSTP friend here was almost certainly a type 1, and most type 1s know that this is a feature of their personality and yet somehow don't care and continue getting plastered and doing stupid things.

Fixed. In my experience at least.

Originally Posted by cubbbie
My main point was that our MSTP friend here was almost certainly a type 1, and most type 1s know that this is a feature of their personality and yet somehow don't care and continue getting plastered and doing stupid things.

Fixed. In my experience at least.

Ok, I'll change it to "and SHOULD make decisions accordingly ... especially when continuing to get plastered and doing stupid things will lead to an offer of admission at one of the best medical schools in the country being rescinded."

but new york is soooo faaaaar....

lucky for you my penis is considered carry-on.... :idea:

Awesome. I'll never get bored on a trip ever again!! :D :cool:

Edit: On second thought, perhaps I shouldn't include the story about the... uh... very... umm... interesting(?) woman I happened to sit beside on an AMTRAK train once.

LMAO at PennyBridge!!!

And WOW JUST WOW at the OP's child's story!!! Since you say its true, I'll take your word for it Dookter since I think you are already in med school right?? At Duke right?? I seem to recall such from somewhere. Why do people lack common sense, logical sense, and down right common courtesy?? You'd think the kid would have had the common sense not to behave rudely or been drinking in the first place at a second look weekend in a PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL. Med school demands a lot of Professionalism which seems to be lacking. I hope he/she learned from their experience even if they get in at another school.

Heck, forget about professionalism/professional school, I'm still hung up on the idea that this kid thought that his first time meeting the people he'd spend the next four years with was the perfect time to get completely, mind-blowingly wasted to the point of making (ahem) "regional" slurs. So much for caring about making a good first impression...