Research as an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cmc0607

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a rising sophomore at a large state school. I really want to get involved in research, but I know how big of a time commitment it is and I'm nervous it will interfere with my academics. I really would like to do research starting spring semester sophomore year. Is that too late? Also, how early should I start looking? I was going to start looking November of this coming semester.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, I would start looking before the semester starts since this will probably give you more luck. I personally did 4 semesters of research during undergrad which helped me secure a spot for a 1 year full time research fellowship at a local medical school after I graduated college. Yeah it is a big commitment and isn't easy, but my research experience has been invaluable and I highly encourage you to try your best to get involved.

No, it's never too late to start research unless you're going into your spring senior year. I would begin sending out emails in August/September, a couple of weeks before your school starts. That way, you have interviews/meetings lined up for the first weeks of classes when things haven't picked up yet. Then you can start in earnest in September or October.

You need to find a way to balance academics and research. Since most students work one job or another during the year, it's not hard to find time for a job like research but it requires discipline and time management.

Members don't see this ad :)
The earlier the better but in all honesty, alot of the students have research now so instead of trying to worry about when to start-- work really hard in the lab and make sure it is something you can talk about when you apply. As for balancing, it is tough but you will soon get the hang of it. If anything, this will make you a better student all be it a little more stressed. I'm telling you though the competition is freaking crazy so it does look good to do for sure.

I agree that its good to start looking for a research position as soon as possible because they can be difficult to find. Don't get discouraged if the first couple of places you look don't work out. I was lucky that I sort of stumbled onto a research position my freshman year. It wasn't exactly what I wanted to do, but I worked there for a year and then it was much easier to transition into a lab that I actually wanted to work in.