Research as most meaningful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done research for most of my undergrad career, but I don't think I would want to continue in the future (at least not basic science research). I have over 1000 hours in my lab, so should I still list it as my most meaningful activity even if I don't want to implement research into my career? Would it look weird if I didn't list it but invested so many hours? I definitely learned a ton in lab and I enjoyed it, but I realized I'm just not as passionate for it as patient care.

Members don't see this ad.

No it's fine to not list it as most meaningful even if you have a ton of hours. Speaking earnestly is critical so if you think another activity was more meaningful, write about that. The number of hours speaks for itself.

Among your most meaningful activities should be those that you can write most passionately or eloquently about in regards to your decision to apply to medical school. These activities do not have to be those for which you have the most hours. Only include your research if it is among the top 3 activities that have influenced your path in becoming a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have done research for most of my undergrad career, but I don't think I would want to continue in the future (at least not basic science research). I have over 1000 hours in my lab, so should I still list it as my most meaningful activity even if I don't want to implement research into my career? Would it look weird if I didn't list it but invested so many hours? I definitely learned a ton in lab and I enjoyed it, but I realized I'm just not as passionate for it as patient care.
It won't matter either way. If you have other more compelling activities to highlight, make those your "most meaningful" activities. But even if you don't plan on continuing research in the future, you can still list your research experience as 'most meaningful'. As an aside, I would suggest talking about the positives (e.g. your appreciation for the basic sciences, the development of your critical thinking skills, and your interest in exploring clinical research, etc.) rather than your not planning to continue basic science research.

For your three most meaningful activities, pick the activities that you found most meaningful to you. Even though you've invested a lot of time into research, research doesn't have to be one of your most meaningful activities. I'd suggest picking three activities that you are most passionate about and helped influence you to become a physician because you'll get asked about them during some of your interviews. Your interviewers will notice if it's something you're not passionate about.

If you do decide to use research as one of your most meaningful activities, make sure to talk about how it influenced your decision to pursue a career in medicine and how you grew from your research experience (ex. how it helped improve your critical thinking skills, how it furthered your interest in medicine, etc.).