Shadowing as one of my most meaningful activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireSlasher

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering If it was ok for me to mark shadowing as one of my three most meaningful activities. I've seen that it isn't recommended since traditionally you are basically observing and not doing anything else. In my case I participated in a hospital shadowing program where in addition to shadowing several doctors I basically served as a volunteer (helping nurses, talking to patients, helping patients, etc). Im still going to list the activity as shadowing because if some schools decide to verify the activity the hospital will likely say I just shadowed. However, I feel that in this activity I was more hands on than in my other clinical volunteering and it was more insightful for me. I'll appreciate any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

If you did more than what typical shadowing entails, I would rename this activity and classify it as clinical volunteering. You can mention that part of your duties entailed shadowing, while the other parts were more active. It is rare for schools to reach out and verify your activities, but if you're definitely going to label it as shadowing, I would refrain from using it as a most meaningful activity.

Reactions: 1 users
How about separating the shadow hours out of the total and list them separately and then list the other activities as clinical experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it was meaningful and the extra space permitted for "most meaningful" will give you the opportunity to expand on what the program involved, I'd say go for it. Never listing shadowing as "most meaningful" is the sort of thing that results in cookie cutter applications where every application adheres to a rigid structure and content. Be bold!

Reactions: 3 users
Alright, thank you all for the help. Sorry for spinning this thread topic but I wanted take advantage of this one instead of creating another. I volunteered as a home health caregiver. I basically was part of a local initiative were volunteers helped physicians who gave services to sick elderlies in their homes. I helped the physicians in their tasks, and also helped the elderlies in their daily tasks (eating, hygiene, given them their medicine, etc). I can list this as clinical experience? Asking because it wasn't exactly in a clinical setting but in their houses. @LizzyM @candbgirl will love your input. Thanks.

Did you call these people "patients"? If so, I would say it is clinical, particularly if you were in the presence of the physician while performing some of your duties.

Reactions: 1 user
Fwiw I listed one of my shadowing experiences as one of my most meaningful experiences and had a great cycle. Seems to me that how you talk about it is what's most important.

If it's just "I shadowed, it was cool. I saw physician stuff", then yeah that's whack lol. But if something about it was truly meaningful and significantly impacted you, makes sense to include it imo.

Reactions: 1 user